Attacktics

maqroll

Where are the goals going to come from?

Would playing a 4-4-2 with Davis and Wesley up top be something Smith considers?

Also, if Matt Targett likes to bound forward from the back, I say get him in the side and bench Taylor. We need more attacking impetus. Hourihane needs to play and Luiz is more of a goal theat than Nakamba.

Maybe the side for the Arsenal game could look like this:

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

McGinn Hourihane Luiz El Ghazi

Davis Wesley

Edited by maqroll

I'd try Grealish to start from the left, but have a 'free role' and be a number 10. Then Marvelous, Luiz and McGinn as the midfield three. I'd then play Trezeguet on the right and hope he can deliver. Targett to also come straight into the team at left back when fit, he will be able to deliver into the box from out wide.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

I actually think we'll have to wait until January to bring in some quality and pace in attack and will just have to try and get goals from midfield up until then. Can;t see us getting much else from our current front three.

Maybe, we could move Grealish into an attacking role, but doesn't look like Smith wants to do that. 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Where are the goals going to come from?

Would playing a 4-4-2 with Davis and Wesley up top be something Smith considers?

Also, if Matt Targett likes to bound forward from the back, I say get him in the side and bench Taylor. We need more attacking impetus. Hourihane needs to play and Luiz is more of a goal theat than Nakamba.

Maybe the side for the Arsenal game could look like this:

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

McGinn Hourihane Luiz El Ghazi

Davis Wesley

Sorry but no way do we leave Jack out 

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Wings are the glaring issue for me, followed by how isolated Wesley is at times. I can't see Smith making wholesale changes to our style but solely as a thought exercise we could play a diamond or 3 at the back:

(I apologise for the numbers in advance @NurembergVillan)

O23CUIq.pngB50NCFR.png

I like both of those. 

Personally I would give this a try against Arsenal.

McGinn would be played out of position, but he's played fairly advanced recently making some great runs for the cross field ball. The need to play an out and out winger isn't as great on the right hand side with Guilbert getting forward and McGinn would have the legs to cover him better than Jota.

This allows us to sit in two defensive midfielders whilst being able to take advantage of Hourihane's set pieces in the side.

lineup.png

• Like 1

despite all the new faces a habit from last season seems to have carried over - we are too slow and over elaborate in the final third - we seem so intent on keeping possession that we double check before making a killer pass or shot - thats gives the opposition the fraction of a second they need to be ready. 

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

If we go 4-4-2, we might score, but we'll get hammered. We look hopelessly open in midfield as it is.

Exactly this, we tried and failed at 4-4-2 in the Championship; there is no way we would get away with it in the Premier League.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

If we go 4-4-2, we might score, but we'll get hammered. We look hopelessly open in midfield as it is.

Also don't think we have the wingers to play in that formation.

we'd have 2 less than prolific strikers while making us weaker in midfield.

Lose, lose situation IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Personally I would give this a try against Arsenal.

McGinn would be played out of position, but he's played fairly advanced recently making some great runs for the cross field ball. The need to play an out and out winger isn't as great on the right hand side with Guilbert getting forward and McGinn would have the legs to cover him better than Jota.

This allows us to sit in two defensive midfielders whilst being able to take advantage of Hourihane's set pieces in the side.

lineup.png

I thought the exact same tbh formation wise.

But I would go targett LB, Luiz and Nakamba DM, then trez in place of El Ghazi.

Not ideal but worth a try IMO.

Makes us more solid centrally, more attacking from LB and lets Grealish have more ball in more dangerous positions, hopefully.

Might be a total disaster mind but I'd like us to test it.

lineup.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Not ideal but worth a try IMO.

Makes us more solid centrally, more attacking from LB and lets Grealish have more ball in more dangerous positions, hopefully.

Might be a total disaster mind but I'd like us to test it.

lineup.png

I quite like this one with what we have available for the weekend.

Â