Weekends Football 13/15 September

andykeenan

15 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Not surprising considering it’s pretty much majority of the team that got them up 

Many on here where giving it the big ‘un they were naive for not spending any money. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Laporte injury is going to cost them the league. 5 points behind Liverpool already.

Weren’t they 7 points behind them last season. Kompany and Laporte badly missed. Good time for Liverpool to put some distance  between the clubs 

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Lampard actually seem to be building something.

Fantastic style of play. It's easy to forget he's only been in management for a season.

I'd argue that sarri had a better start last season untill it fell away and he got kicked from pillar to post in the media, this won't happen to lampard

Norwich today, you get results like this every season and yet they will still go down

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Not surprising considering it’s pretty much majority of the team that got them up 

Whoa!!! Hold on, its unthinkable to keep the same team, dont you know that? I had literally dozens of people tearing me to shreds in the main forum for suggesting we didn't overhaul and went for quality over quantity.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Whoa!!! Hold on, its unthinkable to keep the same team, dont you know that? I had literally dozens of people tearing me to shreds in the main forum for suggesting we didn't overhaul and went for quality over quantity.

Did we ever have that option though?

We had to spend £50/60m just to try and stand still quality wise. And on top of this we had to replace all the players whose contacts expired. Lastly Norwich were 20 points better than us last year.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Calm down, it's just 1 result dude. Let's see where we both finish in May.

But even to your point, they kept their already young team that they were going to keep regardless. We were getting rid of those players whether we got promoted or not. It's not like they kept a whole team full of out of contact players like Jedinak, Whelan, Adomah, Richards etc. Apples and oranges.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

Did we ever have that option though?

We had to spend £50/60m just to try and stand still quality wise. And on top of this we had to replace all the players whose contacts expired. Lastly Norwich were 20 points better than us last year.

Yes of course we did. Unless they all died after the playoff final. 

They didn't die though, they all just spontaneously lost the ability to play football... apparently. 

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

We still have 12 of the 17 players who made up the squad that faced Derby. I also don’t think we had much choice in letting Tammy and Axel go, so it could be argued that it’s really 12 players from a possible 15.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

My 2nd greatest desire in football is that Liverpool don't win the league.

As much as i dislike them they are going to piss the league by 10+ points this year. Wouldn't be surprised if they go undefeated too after only losing 1 game last year and to cap it all i can see them doing at least a double by winning the champions league again. Over the last 50+ games they are averaging not far off 3 goals per game scored against 1 goal conceded every other game

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Calm down, it's just 1 result dude. Let's see where we both finish in May.

I'm completely calm, but you seem to have gotten ahead of yourself.

I was just picking up on the point the poster made that an element of their success today (against what is one of the best teams in PL history) was attributed to them keeping the team that got them promoted together.

There is an awful lot of value in having a group of players who know each other together even if they are not technically excellent.

Something some people dont grasp.

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

We still have 12 of the 17 players who made up the squad that faced Derby. I also don’t think we had much choice in letting Tammy and Axel go, so it could be argued that it’s really 12 players from a possible 15.

7 of the 11 that started our last game were new signings.

I'll leave it here, as this is not a Villa thread.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes of course we did. Unless they all died after the playoff final. 

They didn't die though, they all just spontaneously lost the ability to play football... apparently. 

Well they didn't die but I'm sure Tammy and Axel wouldn't have been happy if we'd locked them in Bodymoor Heath.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

7 of the 11 that started our last game were new signings.

I'll leave it here, as this is not a Villa thread.

I think people are perfectly accepting of the idea of having “a team” - a group of players who know what they’re all about.

However I also think people would be more on board with the idea of keeping those players if they had all been snapped up by lower premier league/upper championship sides. It would suggest the club’s judgment was wrong.

The fact that by and large they haven’t suggests that maybe a few other clubs along with ourselves don’t see them as viable options.

Â