Football Manager 2020

Villaphan04

4 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Won 13 draw 1 out of the opening 14. 7 points clear. Scoring goals for fun.

Arsenal away next, dominate and lose 1-0. Struggle to a 1-0 win home to Brentford next, then a really poor 1-1 draw Away at 19th placed Brighton the December collapse is coming. Literally as soon as I get into December it's happened this year. The lead is cut to 2 points.

Still winning League cup games and champions League games for fun. 

Might tweak my tactics. If I don't win it this year, after the dominant start I made. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Just save it before every game and reload if you lose like the rest of us 😉 Going 'on holiday' for a couple of months works sometimes as well. 

I've been playing the mobile version as Villa, in my first season so I'm basically only targeting survival and don't get too pissed off if I lose.  My only real frustration is the amount of free kicks the opposition score, I don't know whether that's a problem with Heaton or if it's just scripted in the game.  Angel Gomes was my only signing for £12m and has been very promising.  I think I need to dip into the market in January but finding players is a bit harder on the mobile version it seems.

15 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I avoided relegation in my first season with 40 points, not sure how good an achievement that was but I'll take it.  I'm pretty sure I've signed far too many attacking midfielders in the window.  It's like an addiction.  

This on full fat FM? For comparison, I finished 7th and missed out on Europe by a few points in my first season.

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

This on full fat FM? For comparison, I finished 7th and missed out on Europe by a few points in my first season.

Just the mobile version.  Tbh the lack of depth makes the game a bit more enjoyable for me.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Just the mobile version.  Tbh the lack of depth makes the game a bit more enjoyable for me.

Well, I find keeping villa up on the mobile version alot more difficult. Haven't done it in 3 attempts. So, id say you did good!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I did it!! Finally won the league. And won it at a canter. Still 3 games to play and 16 points clear. 

Still have a champions League final aswell as a fa cup final to look forward to. Lost in the league cup final. 

Esposito has become villas all-time record scorer. He has 46 goals in all comps this season. I had signed his replacement, but Esposito has seen him off and he was sold. £20m he cost me. Probably my best signing of any FM ever. 

Well done.  Funnily enough I'd signed Esposito on loan but he was just a bit too young so a waste of time really.  Got Brewster this season and he has been much better.  I'm doing much better this season, roughly in the Europa Lesgue spots, having found a tactic with 3 at the back, Luiz sitting, defensive wingers and 2 up top, got Kalinic back to replace Heaton and he has been much better too.  Cantwell from Norwich and Harper from WBA my only two real permanent signings, Rodrygo, Brewster, Brazilian Barca right wing back I can't remember the name of on loan and a winger on a free I can't remember the name of.  I'd forgotten how absorbing the game can be!

Just bought this today and spent the day adding Facepacks, Logos, Kits and all that stuff.

Any tips and tricks for a relative newbie. Not really played a Football Manager game since CM01/02. Going for a 4-2-3-1, but have no idea what's best to get the backroom staff to take care of.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Just bought this today and spent the day adding Facepacks, Logos, Kits and all that stuff.

Any tips and tricks for a relative newbie. Not really played a Football Manager game since CM01/02. Going for a 4-2-3-1, but have no idea what's best to get the backroom staff to take care of.

My advice is to put the backroom staff in charge of whatever you don't enjoy. I have no idea when it comes to training and I don't want to put in the time to learning the system, so I leave that to my staff etc.

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Yeah, exactly what hornso said. I don't do training. Seems far too complicated for me. I think another one is press conferences.

Like you, I hadn't played for a number of years before I bought this one during lockdown. My advice, having a similar circumstance, is take your time over the first few months (first pre season) get used to everything. Get used to it because it's very different to what you would be used to.

I've had succes like I've not had before on this one. Multiple champions leagues and a prem league and am winning the prem league again easily. I don't know if it's easier, probably. 

I'm at the point where I might have to start lower league, just for a different challenge. It's gets boring winning everything over and over.

• Like 2

On 20/07/2020 at 11:49, Mjvilla said:

Yeah, exactly what hornso said. I don't do training. Seems far too complicated for me. I think another one is press conferences.

Like you, I hadn't played for a number of years before I bought this one during lockdown. My advice, having a similar circumstance, is take your time over the first few months (first pre season) get used to everything. Get used to it because it's very different to what you would be used to.

I've had succes like I've not had before on this one. Multiple champions leagues and a prem league and am winning the prem league again easily. I don't know if it's easier, probably. 

I'm at the point where I might have to start lower league, just for a different challenge. It's gets boring winning everything over and over.

I haven't gotten bored of winning everything!

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I haven't gotten bored of winning everything!

I have. Started a new save last night, holidayed the first season and took over one of the newly promoted clubs to vanarama south. Lowest possible badges and reputation. Taken over Gosport Boro and already more excited to get back on it!

• Like 1

Just now, Mjvilla said:

I have. Started a new save last night, holidayed the first season and took over one of the newly promoted clubs to vanarama south. Lowest possible badges and reputation. Taken over Gosport Boro and already more excited to get back on it!

Love a good LLM save, there is a database you can get that lets you go even lower if you that ever interests you.

Enjoy and look forward to posts of your glorious promotions!

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Love a good LLM save, there is a database you can get that lets you go even lower if you that ever interests you.

Enjoy and look forward to posts of your glorious promotions!

Yes, it does. I have seen it but wanted to try this first as a practice before going even lower. 

I like the idea of managing a local side where a few mates would play for them (even though they won't be on the game).

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Yes, it does. I have seen it but wanted to try this first as a practice before going even lower. 

I like the idea of managing a local side where a few mates would play for them (even though they won't be on the game).

The lowest Ive gone is level 10 with Bridlington town. It's hard 😂 only 1 team promoted, impossible to keep players, tumble into debt pretty quick but cups are great fun. There are trophies I never knew existed. 

Key to Lower league is simple tactics, physical training and don't be scared to loan players and create affiliates. 

Survived the first season in vanarama south with Gosport. Finished 17th which I was very happy with. Particularly as I went on a 8 match losing streak around Christmas. A change of tactic to go 2 up front changed my fortunes. 

Signed basically a whole squad. Most of which have left again now. Signed Michael Tait after his release from villa and he formed a deadly partnership up front with Sam hoskins (free from Northampton) when we went to 4-4-2. Both of these have been kept on for the new season.

Have built most my squad for my second season in charge. Feel like I have an uptick in quality so hoping for a top half finish but on the quiet, maybe playoffs? Fingers crossed.

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 1

Every year I begin with a Villa save to create a tactic. Years gone by I’ve always played a 4132 or 433 but this year had to opt for 442 with everything inverted inwards to stop me conceding, turned into a great tactic.

I then always start in a lower league in a random country. 
This save:

3 years in Greece with Levadiakos and promotion to the Super league. 
2 years with Denzilispor and promotion to Super Lige.

2 years with Trabpnzaspor and 2 league titles

5 years with Real Betis, constant top 4 and Europa League win.

13 years with Inter Milan multiple titles and Champions Leagues.

I broke my rule of no more than 5 seasons at a team. Most of the recent seasons at Milan I’ve just been on holiday while watching tv waiting to see what youth I produce. 

Lock down has extended my game this year by miles as I was already bored. I’m done for this year. 

Also time for a new laptop.

• Like 1

Anyone playing the mobile version?

Why is there 2 on the app store? FM 2020 mobile (£9) and FM touch (£20)? Ideally wouldn't mind playing on the iPad if it meant the screen didn't shrink!

2 hours ago, MCU said:

Anyone playing the mobile version?

Why is there 2 on the app store? FM 2020 mobile (£9) and FM touch (£20)? Ideally wouldn't mind playing on the iPad if it meant the screen didn't shrink!

Mobile is a really striped back version, Touch is a not quite as much striped back version.

3 hours ago, Nicho said:

3 years in Greece with Levadiakos and promotion to the Super league. 

Don't know if you watch any FM youtubers, but Lollujo is doing a (bit of a meta series) with Apollon Simernis, starting in the second division with the aim of winning the CL and winning the World Cup with Greece. It's good, the greek league is a bit of a face once you get money streaming in though it seems.

• Like 2

Â