Football Manager 2020

Villaphan04

First update in a while, had a hugely troubling couple of years. Struggled in the league and nearly lost my job. Hung on for dear life at times. Then, season 8.. won the euro cup 2. Didn't play a good side all the way through really so not a surprise.

Huge shake up in the summer, clearing out a large number of players who just seem to have stagnated. Bought a number of young players with lots of pace. These players are now all wonderkids with huge potential. Sit second after 16 games and winning and dominating games again after a tactic tweak. 

The best potential youngster out the academy is now a wonderkid at, just turned, 19. He starts every game and just scored the winner at old trafford. Another 17 year old coming through from the academy with huge potential. 3 more from the academy with 3/4 star potential. On top of that, a number of 18 year olds bought with 5 star potential. 

One thing, despite my mentioning the stars alot, I don't actually pay much attention to them. Lewis Boyce, the academy wonderkid, came through with 5 star potential. That quickly went down to 4 star, then he went out on loan and impressed and got a few minutes in the first team and back up to 5 star. Other academy players have had a whole star put on their potential in the last 6 months. I think use your eyes on attributes and not the star rating.

• Like 1

My German newgen striker Maurice Schaffrath is now Aston Villa’s all time leading league goal scorer, after surpassing Harry Hampton.

Schaffrath now has 217 league goals in 230 games and 350 in all comps for me, and is 26! He’s going to set a high bar for any future challengers! 

• Like 2

Noticed I have a second kid from my academy who is a wonderkid. He's been a regular in the England under 21's and playing really well for a mid table championship side. Hes only 20. I've got him down as a decent squad option but perhaps he's progressing better than I thought. Will still head back out on loan for another 18 months so hopefully to help him out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Noticed I have a second kid from my academy who is a wonderkid. He's been a regular in the England under 21's and playing really well for a mid table championship side. Hes only 20. I've got him down as a decent squad option but perhaps he's progressing better than I thought. Will still head back out on loan for another 18 months so hopefully to help him out. 

Impressive. My academy has only produced about 4 or 5 usable players in my whole save! So frustrating. I’ve got increased all the possible factors through the board and still not getting anywhere bringing through my own players. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

This is the best player that has came out of my academy and my save is in 2031. The rest are championship players at best.

logan.png

What's your head of youth development like? What's his personality?

I wonder, I didn't have a good intake for the first few years. Then, I got rid of mark Harrison and got some guy from Spain. Someone with the perfectionist personality. And since, we've had 2 much better intakes and the preview for the next one is good and states 'we should be optimistic'. Might be worth a try.

• Thanks 1

Transfer window just closed for the 22/23 season. I managed to get quite a bit of business done which was pleasing although some player negotiations are so frustrating with their demands. Anyway here's my deals:

IN

James Araujo (18yr old Colombian regen defender) - Millonarios - 1.7m
Marcos Aurelio (18yr old Brazilian regen ball winning midfielder) - INT - 23m
Kenneth Taylor - Ajax - Free
Lucien Agoume - Inter - Free
Ugurcan Cakir - Trabzonspor - 15m
Daniel James - Man United - 17.5m
Caglar Soyuncu - Leicester - 33.5m
Neco Williams - Liverpool - Loan
Iker Burgos (18yr old Spanish regen midfielder) - Atletico Madrid - 10m

OUT

Marvelous Nakamba - Al-Wahda - 3m
Wesley - CSKA Moscow - 18m (22.5m)
Bjorn Engels - Fiorentina - 14.75m (18.25m)
Bobby Adekanye - Fulham - 33m
Mbwana Samatta - Lokomotiv Moscow - 10m
Callum O"Hare - Preston - 3m
Anwar El Ghazi - Trabzonspor - 6.5m

The season has started out with 5 wins from 5 including beating Man City away and Man United at home and into the 4th round of the League Cup, so the aim is definitely to get back into Europe. Lihadj has started out on an absolute tear with 5 goals & 3 assists from 6 starts, whilst Daniel James has hit the ground running with 4 from 3 starts, including a brace against his old club.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting pissed off with this now. In 3 years in a row won the euro cup II, then the euro cup, then champions league. Have won the super cup, the club world cup, the fa cup and the Carabao cup.

Have a team full of world class players all young apart from a few who are aged 25-28 for a bit of experience. About 7 or 8 wonderkids loaned out, 3 from the academy. 1 of these is 18, a full Welsh international, and on loan at another prem league club scoring regularly.

The first wonderkid I had through the academy is a regular mezzala for me now and also a regular in the England 11. He's 21.

So, what's pissing me off you ask?? I cannot do anything in the league. Finished 4th four seasons in a row. 3rd the year before that. My latest season, was absolutely flying till Christmas. Just ourselves and Chelsea (pep managed and ridiculously good) in the hunt. 100% home record.

Play 15th placed Bournemouth at home the week before christmas and lose from nowhere 4-2. Dominate the game (30 plus shots, 15 on target) and they have 4 shots, 3 on target and win 4-2. Ok, I think. This is football, it happens. The next 3 home games, all against teams in the bottom half. All finish 0-0. With me dominating the game. And in 2 of them, we miss a penalty. Chelsea at home next, 5 points behind them. Of course, we lose without scoring again. We've gone from the best attack in the league to the worst in the top 6. 

Any ideas anyone? Don't say tactics because I smashed Liverpool at home in the fa cup 5-1. Liverpool are third in the league. I changed nothing.

Which brings me onto another point, in 10 years of being villa manager, I have only drawn a side outside the top 2 divisions once in domestic cups. The year I drew a league 1 team, they were top so the best possible team outside the top 2 divisions I could face. More often than not, it's a top 6 side I draw. That's not realistic is it?!?

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Any ideas anyone? 

It's called getting FM'd and has been a 'feature' of the games forever. 

I stopped playing years ago, but when I played a lot, I was convinced there's some sort of RNG for each match which affects the outcome. 

Over time though, even if that is built in (which SI would never admit) I don't think it's a bad thing. Sometimes team's in real life have an off day, even if they're the best side in the world. Sometimes they might have an off month, or an off match 3 times in 6 months which means the difference between winning the league and finishing second. 

Don't think there's any other way to account for those unpredictable, human, elements in a game like this. 

Damn annoying in game, I don't think there's anything you can do, other than play season after season until you do win the league. 

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Getting pissed off with this now. In 3 years in a row won the euro cup II, then the euro cup, then champions league. Have won the super cup, the club world cup, the fa cup and the Carabao cup.

Have a team full of world class players all young apart from a few who are aged 25-28 for a bit of experience. About 7 or 8 wonderkids loaned out, 3 from the academy. 1 of these is 18, a full Welsh international, and on loan at another prem league club scoring regularly.

The first wonderkid I had through the academy is a regular mezzala for me now and also a regular in the England 11. He's 21.

So, what's pissing me off you ask?? I cannot do anything in the league. Finished 4th four seasons in a row. 3rd the year before that. My latest season, was absolutely flying till Christmas. Just ourselves and Chelsea (pep managed and ridiculously good) in the hunt. 100% home record.

Play 15th placed Bournemouth at home the week before christmas and lose from nowhere 4-2. Dominate the game (30 plus shots, 15 on target) and they have 4 shots, 3 on target and win 4-2. Ok, I think. This is football, it happens. The next 3 home games, all against teams in the bottom half. All finish 0-0. With me dominating the game. And in 2 of them, we miss a penalty. Chelsea at home next, 5 points behind them. Of course, we lose without scoring again. We've gone from the best attack in the league to the worst in the top 6. 

Any ideas anyone? Don't say tactics because I smashed Liverpool at home in the fa cup 5-1. Liverpool are third in the league. I changed nothing.

Which brings me onto another point, in 10 years of being villa manager, I have only drawn a side outside the top 2 divisions once in domestic cups. The year I drew a league 1 team, they were top so the best possible team outside the top 2 divisions I could face. More often than not, it's a top 6 side I draw. That's not realistic is it?!?

Persistence my friend, (I play FM19 still) I won the CL before I won the league too. Took me about 7 or 8 seasons to win the league ..... Since then I've finished first or second in the league 18 or 19 times only missing out (3rd) once in that time. 

I agree with Hogso, in that I believe the game is set in a certain way. I couldn't beat the "big" teams hardly ever for many many seasons then all of sudden they can't beat me. 

Keep going mate, sounds like you have solid tactics and a quality team. Just try small changes here and there, bring in a new coach or two for example. Even though I use one tactic mainly I always play a few games with other tactics where I can get away with it, I believe the game engine will punish you for using the same tactic every single match.

• 2 weeks later...

Still can't win the league. Threw way 3 2-0 leads. Missing penalties, losing at home to bottom of table. These are all normal things in the last 10 games of the season for me. Despite being dominating for most of the season 

Have won the champions league 3 season on the spin though. 

Might give up and start with a lower league side. This is absolutely pathetic.

15 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Still can't win the league. Threw way 3 2-0 leads. Missing penalties, losing at home to bottom of table. These are all normal things in the last 10 games of the season for me. Despite being dominating for most of the season 

Have won the champions league 3 season on the spin though. 

Might give up and start with a lower league side. This is absolutely pathetic.

Wow that would be pretty annoying and I have no more cliches to offer as advice. Sometimes a different save is a good way to have a break and maybe you will come back to your Villa save in time. 

I do this with my Villa save, I have a save going where I don't manage in England. Started at my Adelaide United, went to Standard Liege, then Dortmund, now I'm at Real.

Don't give up completely but maybe start that new save. One's thing for sure if you do win that title with Villa, it will be a fine moment in your FM career!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Wow that would be pretty annoying and I have no more cliches to offer as advice. Sometimes a different save is a good way to have a break and maybe you will come back to your Villa save in time. 

I do this with my Villa save, I have a save going where I don't manage in England. Started at my Adelaide United, went to Standard Liege, then Dortmund, now I'm at Real.

Don't give up completely but maybe start that new save. One's thing for sure if you do win that title with Villa, it will be a fine moment in your FM career!

I've given myself 2 more years. Had a massive squad refresh selling £410m worth of talent and bringing in £369m younger players of the same level. This is my last hope.

Won the first game of the season 6-2 home to spurs with the 3 main signings all involved in the goals. If I haven't won it in 2 years, I'll move on to a new save.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2020 at 08:53, Mjvilla said:

I've given myself 2 more years. Had a massive squad refresh selling £410m worth of talent and bringing in £369m younger players of the same level. This is my last hope.

Won the first game of the season 6-2 home to spurs with the 3 main signings all involved in the goals. If I haven't won it in 2 years, I'll move on to a new save.

Won the opening 7 games of the season now. Including some really tough games away at Chelsea (4-0 win), spurs home(6-2), Everton away (4-0) so signs are good.

Am playing reserve/youth teams in champs league and domestic cup games. I don't care about cups. I HAVE to win the league. 

• Like 3

Won 13 draw 1 out of the opening 14. 7 points clear. Scoring goals for fun.

Arsenal away next, dominate and lose 1-0. Struggle to a 1-0 win home to Brentford next, then a really poor 1-1 draw Away at 19th placed Brighton the December collapse is coming. Literally as soon as I get into December it's happened this year. The lead is cut to 2 points.

Still winning League cup games and champions League games for fun. 

Might tweak my tactics. If I don't win it this year, after the dominant start I made. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Edited by Mjvilla

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Won 13 draw 1 out of the opening 14. 7 points clear. Scoring goals for fun.

Arsenal away next, dominate and lose 1-0. Struggle to a 1-0 win home to Brentford next, then a really poor 1-1 draw Away at 19th placed Brighton the December collapse is coming. Literally as soon as I get into December it's happened this year. The lead is cut to 2 points.

Still winning League cup games and champions League games for fun. 

Might tweak my tactics. If I don't win it this year, after the dominant start I made. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Try giving your players a day off training and mix up the emphasis therein also.

• Thanks 1

Â