Football Manager 2020

Villaphan04

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

@villan-scott I have the editor too. I went through a save where I lost control and used it constantly. Someone transfer listed but no interest? Move them to a realistic club for a modest fee and sell on %. Want a player but they're asking ridiculous amounts? Move to me for their value. Want a specific affiliate club? Done.

That save got boring fast so I try not to use it now - Except in certain circumstances (i.e. I signed a class player for a record fee - he had 18 injury proneness which wasn't picked up on during scouting. Dropped it to 8.)

I’ve managed to keep myself in check so far because I was already so far in to the save when I bought the editor there’s not much benefit of abusing it as I’m winning the league every season and the CL most seasons. It’s a powerful tool though! 

I might try it on another save and abuse it though just for fun! 

I used it for the bottom to top achievements a few years ago because the likes of Brazilian one can get in the sea, moved some pf the more obscure Brazilian -8 and -9 potential players to a club, gave them a higher youth rating etc

after that I have painstakingly recreated around 500 legends and put them as 16 year olds at their original club (and then of course played as ajax) that wasn't as rewarding as I thought and the old one was the release all players option so everyone is on a free but the AI for other teams was shit and showed you how bad some of the scouting mechanics are

I use the workshop for fun edits instead of doing my own now

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Release all players option could be fun..

Haven't done it in about 4 years

In theory it should be great, messi and Ronaldo to man City or PSG for example but what I found was maybe the top 100 players find top clubs but then the best youth prospects don't, the AI for the other teams is flawed and they don't amass great squads, can't remember the exact detail of it but it doesn't work

Think I paired it with a European super league option from the workshop too last time 

15 hours ago, tomav84 said:

absolutely smashing it with villa on my game...in the year 2036. but i need some advice please people. the board want the best youth system in the country, which i am falling short on, but aside from constantly asking them to improve facilities, youth recruitment etc, what can i do? the u23s win the league every year (no promotions though) and even won the EFL trophy.

Have you looked at the youth staff? Can any improvements be made there maybe? Aside from that I'm not sure what else you could do tbh!

9 minutes ago, Nath182 said:

Have you looked at the youth staff? Can any improvements be made there maybe? Aside from that I'm not sure what else you could do tbh!

i thought of that so i sacked mark harrison and replaced him with a better head of youth development but hasnt done any good

my next plan is to decline the league invitation this summer...see if the following season it invites me to a better league

Been playing on a dortmund save last few days, winning everything team is full of wonderkids best one I’ve bought on the game is moriba from Barcelona cost me 35mil but we’ll worth it, even after losing haaland to PSG as they paid his buyout clause won 26 games in a row till i rested players for the champions league quarters

39E040C2-FF19-4331-8755-50DF34BE8D0B.jpeg

Edited by rbcuk

Right, I'm doing it. I've just saved after the 1st transfer window. I'm putting restrictions on myself.

1. Do not sell a player unless they're unhappy / force a move / definitely surplus to requirements (i.e. 2 free agents brought in for same position). For the latter they will be transfer listed.

2. Only buy players who are;

2a) Free agents / Youth players (compensation cost)

2b) Transfer listed

2c) If a key player forces a move away, I can buy a key player to replace if necessary

• Like 2

Coming to the beginning of season 4 now. Qatar world cup year so will be a strange one stopping half way through the season. Any advice on keeping players match sharp? I'm going to guess organising friendlies will be the way forward. 

Managed to keep hold of everyone, even Orel Mangala which could be massive. I even signed a replacement in a 20 year old Argentinian regen!! But he is now here in case Mangala goes in the next year or 2. Mangala won't sign a new contract unless I lower his release clause. His agent is an arse.

Managed to improve squad depth plus a 4 star CA, 5 star PA 19 year old Brazilian centre half who is Mings replacement for just £21m. Have 15m left in my budget in case anything else pops up but I'm very happy with the squad.

3 of my first 4 games are away which seems odd. In the Europa League group stage too, which will hopefully help me make money. This year's aim: break the top 4.

• Like 1

Have reached the halfway point of my 2nd season at Villa and am currently on the best run of my FM life that I can remember.

After starting the season with 2 wins, 2 defeats and then 2 draws to put me mid-table I have since gone on the following run in the league: WWLWWWDWWWWWWD. The highlights including getting a last minute equaliser at Old Trafford, thumping Bournemouth 4-0 at Villa Park,  beating Watford 5-1 at Vicarage Road and lastly overcoming Spurs 4-3, despite blowing a 2-0 lead and coming back from 3-2 down. The one loss was a 1-0 defeat away to league leaders Man City. I alo got knocked out in the Quarter Finals of the League Cup by Liverpool who seem to knock me out of a cup every season.

I really thought I could struggle as in the space of a few weeks I lost McGinn for a month, Jack for 5-7 months with a damage spine and El Ghazi for 9-11 months with a knee, but the run has just kept on going. Hourihane has surprisingly been a star with 3 goals and 9 assists, Samagol & Haberer have 15 goals between them and Almada & Adekanye have 5 goals/4 assists each.

I have one game left before the transfer window opens with no money to spend, so I am expecting to fall down the league from 4th sometime soon.

The other bit of bad luck I had was, I'd loaned Hogan to Swansea for the season and if he makes 20 appearances they have to buy him for 7.25m. So of course after 15 games, he goes and does his knee. I can't see him reaching that level of appearances now so I doubt they'll take up the offer.

Lastly, the summer transfer window has us about 45m in debt and this has stayed constant throughout the season. There has been a little chat of a takeover but that went away as quickly as it appeared. What are peoples experience with this, is NSWE likely to inject some cash mid-season?

1 minute ago, Hornso said:

Have reached the halfway point of my 2nd season at Villa and am currently on the best run of my FM life that I can remember.

After starting the season with 2 wins, 2 defeats and then 2 draws to put me mid-table I have since gone on the following run in the league: WWLWWWDWWWWWWD. The highlights including getting a last minute equaliser at Old Trafford, thumping Bournemouth 4-0 at Villa Park,  beating Watford 5-1 at Vicarage Road and lastly overcoming Spurs 4-3, despite blowing a 2-0 lead and coming back from 3-2 down. The one loss was a 1-0 defeat away to league leaders Man City. I alo got knocked out in the Quarter Finals of the League Cup by Liverpool who seem to knock me out of a cup every season.

I really thought I could struggle as in the space of a few weeks I lost McGinn for a month, Jack for 5-7 months with a damage spine and El Ghazi for 9-11 months with a knee, but the run has just kept on going. Hourihane has surprisingly been a star with 3 goals and 9 assists, Samagol & Haberer have 15 goals between them and Almada & Adekanye have 5 goals/4 assists each.

I have one game left before the transfer window opens with no money to spend, so I am expecting to fall down the league from 4th sometime soon.

The other bit of bad luck I had was, I'd loaned Hogan to Swansea for the season and if he makes 20 appearances they have to buy him for 7.25m. So of course after 15 games, he goes and does his knee. I can't see him reaching that level of appearances now so I doubt they'll take up the offer.

Lastly, the summer transfer window has us about 45m in debt and this has stayed constant throughout the season. There has been a little chat of a takeover but that went away as quickly as it appeared. What are peoples experience with this, is NSWE likely to inject some cash mid-season?

I've not had any cash injected mid season. My budgets consistently around 50/60 million each summer. I'm usually operating in debt too. Im not sure how to break this cycle to be honest. My wage bill is somewhere in the middle of the league and I get European football bonuses. I guess, champions league would be the best way to make a profit 

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

i dont really remember how my finances went in my first few seasons. the prem money obviously helps massively, plus i got rid of dead wood early doors. net transfers was 10m profit first season so reckon that helped. got good money for some players as well. 5m for taylor, 7m for lansbury, 15m for hause, 13m for trez, 12m for guilbert and 9m for el ghazi over the first few seasons. some youngsters got poached for big money as well. norwich bought aaron ramsey (current youth player) for 25m and jack clarke went for 7m, both of whom went on to do absolutely nothing so i doubt the board ever needed to put much cash in.

i got taken over quite early on by a russian tycoon...we're talking after maybe 3-4 seasons and got silly transfer budgets every season...like 100m odd. hence why i win the league and champ league every season :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Wesley, started 7 friendly games (1 sub appearance) with 1 goal. First Premier League game he didn't score and missed a load. Average rating over 5 games is 6.36.

He managed to get the premier league golden boot in my second season with 26 goals then did absolutely nothing the season after and I sold him to a Chinese club for £35m!

1 hour ago, Pembers said:

He managed to get the premier league golden boot in my second season with 26 goals then did absolutely nothing the season after and I sold him to a Chinese club for £35m!

he did ok for me. was always an OK squad player. 27 goals in 111 appearances before i sold him for 13m in 2024

On 23/04/2020 at 18:09, Villaphan04 said:

So halfway through the January transfer window and have brought in 7 on loan:

Felix Nmecha from Man City 

Lukas Mai & Christian Früchtl from Bayern

Felix Götze from Augsburg

Jamie Shackleton, Leif Davis, & Robbie Gotts from Leeds. 

I might look at one or two more, but I will say I'm very surprised that the clubs are letting me loan them as I'm a Serie C team. Most of them are on two-year loans and hopefully might be able to buy some of them depending on promotion to Serie B/A. 

After signing all of these players, I went on an unbelievable unbeaten run until the end of the season (won 13, drew 5). After the loans, the squad was way too good for Serie C (most of them are going to be regulars for me in Serie B too).  Ended up winning the league by 4 points over Bari. 

I was able to bring in a few young guys on frees as their contracts expired: I also asked a few of my key guys for some recommendations in youth prospects and signed a few to increased their relationship w/me and putting me as a favored personnel.

I signed Ethan Galbraith, Adam Phillips, and Matt Macey all on frees.

Was able to get a few more loans in as well

Lukas Nmecha (Felix's brother 🤣), Matt Smith, and Gonzalo Maroni (who signed for them on a free) all from Man City

Fabrice Hartmann who had just signed for PSG from Leipzig

• Like 1

For about 3 editions my first action at the start of a game was go to boca, buy pavon, maroni and a holding midfielder who was called something like melli 

Now its all about almada 

There's a guy who scouts really well called zaracho who I can never get a work permit for and another called almandra 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

For about 3 editions my first action at the start of a game was go to boca, buy pavon, maroni and a holding midfielder who was called something like melli 

Now its all about almada 

There's a guy who scouts really well called zaracho who I can never get a work permit for and another called almandra 

I got recommended Zaracho also and got a fee agreed but his wage demands were outside the budget restrictions set by the board so I had to walk away.

Edited by Hornso

Â