Football Manager 2020

Villaphan04

Are the full backs still overpowered and the strikers average? Last few seasons you just needed decent widemen and were sorted. 

Villa last season I got promoted with Green as top scorer and Tammy just 10, Taylor had 8 FFS 😂

• Haha 1

Tried it as it is on gamepass. Used to love these games & grew up playing the early manager games on c16/c64 but haven't really got the time now and they now feel that they are far more complicated than they need to be. Decided to just start as liverpool  spent 100 million on grealish & traore. They are now quite frankly terrifying in midfield/attack with my modified 3-4-3. Played 11 league games won all 11, scored 37 & conceded 1. Also won all other cup games. Villa have 6 points & are 19th.

Into November & the defenders are starting to get a bit tired playing every game. They really are quite thin at the back so will have to try & beg some more cash in Jan or sell some of the 15 or so midfielders that make up my 25 man squad. I will actually finish the season but that will probably be enough for me in all honesty.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

On 06/04/2020 at 01:53, Villaphan04 said:

Side note: does anyone have any face/logo/kit packs that they would recommend? Want to start trying using them for this. 

Going to answer myself here... I decided to get some of the sortitoutsi pack's and have absolutely loved them. Just having faces for most imo makes a big difference

• Like 2

Progression of my first season in charge at Villa Park.

Home to Palace - Wesley came off the bench and scored in the 85th minute from a corner to take the points in a game that could have gone either way.
Away at Norwich - Poor performance at Carrow Road. Killed us at set pieces, lost 3-0.
Home to Leicester - Another competitive performance at home. Wesley again off the bench, scoring from a corner to win it.
Away at Sheffield United - Went behind to an Enda Stevens goal. Jack earns us a point with another dazzling run and cracking finish.
Home to Everton - Samagol puts us ahead via Jack. Keane equalisers just after half time but El Ghazi (who has been poor all season) answers straight away via Jack again. Everything goes to shit as Delph equalisers from nice play in the 87th and then Digne wins it from a direct free kick in the 95th. The snake gets PotM.

Sitting 11th after 9 matches in the league with 12 points. 3W/3D/3L

Comments

Defense is pretty constant with Reina - Targett, Mings, Engels, Guilbert although Katterbach is pushing Targett. Reina has been #1 all season as Heaton was injured in pre-season and had no match fitness. Got a gig in the Carabao Cup and then broke his leg in training. He's since retired. We get a small amount of insurance money but the clubs keeping situation continues to be a mess.

Midfield is an issue. Conor has been doing really well, with Drinkwater & Nakamba serviceable. McGinn a big disappointment thus far Luiz on the fringes.

As for Forwards, Samatta/Wesley seem to be good for 1 between them most games. Have resorted to Jack out wide left because of Trezeguet/El Ghazi being poor. Andre Green has featured off the bench the last two games and has shown more.

The year is 2032. Villa dominate world football. England fail at yet another European Championship with the affable Lee Johnson in charge. 

He finally gets the boot after years of underachieving with players that I’m turning into world beaters. 

There’s only one man for the job... me!

Having a go at dual roles with Villa and England. Let’s see how it goes. 

• Haha 3

So, ended up finishing 8th. 1 point from Europe. Absolutely gutted. Bought in Orel Mangala in the January on loan with a mandatory fee of £13 mill. Been an absolute class act and a Belgian international regular now. Wuilker farinez joined as first choice keeper too.

Now to the summer, looking for a 4th choice CB to come in. Mings and Konsa have been starting, Konsa a revelation. Foyth comes in from spurs on loan. Very happy with that. Plus a few youngers players bought in by suso. 

Hogan, Lansbury, Jota, kalinic, nyland, Reina, hause all leave. Happy with all areas of the pitch barring my front 3. Samatta is ok and would be good enough for another season.

Have £50 million burning a hole in my pocket. Cannot buy anyone worthwhile. Andrija zivkovic from benfica comes closest but decides to stay in Portugal. End up loaning Harry Wilson, Adam ounas, Esposito. Buy a 16 year old striker regen from palace who has 5 star potential.

Just very, very frustrated by the ability to buy players. Particularly younger players with the potential to improve. They either wanted £70 mill or the player didn't want to join. Still some window to go so may get lucky. But, seems like this is an ongoing problem on this game. Certainly not as easy to buy players as it used to be. 

On a side note, got Jake Doyle Hayes got a loan to QPR last season after I cancelled his Cheltenham loan. He absolutely tore it up and is now enough to be ahead of hourihane in the squad. So much so that hourihane has gone on loan. (Couldn't get a buyer)

Grealish as mezzala, mcginn , Mangala (definitely recommend him, fantastic engine), Doug luiz, nakamba and Doyle Hayes is a good midfield position to be in for a number of years. My favourite area of my squad.

23 hours ago, Hornso said:

Home to Palace - Wesley came off the bench and scored in the 85th minute from a corner to take the points in a game that could have gone either way.
Away at Norwich - Poor performance at Carrow Road. Killed us at set pieces, lost 3-0.
Home to Leicester - Another competitive performance at home. Wesley again off the bench, scoring from a corner to win it.
Away at Sheffield United - Went behind to an Enda Stevens goal. Jack earns us a point with another dazzling run and cracking finish.
Home to Everton - Samagol puts us ahead via Jack. Keane equalisers just after half time but El Ghazi (who has been poor all season) answers straight away via Jack again. Everything goes to shit as Delph equalisers from nice play in the 87th and then Digne wins it from a direct free kick in the 95th. The snake gets PotM.

Sitting 11th after 9 matches in the league with 12 points. 3W/3D/3L

Comments

Defense is pretty constant with Reina - Targett, Mings, Engels, Guilbert although Katterbach is pushing Targett. Reina has been #1 all season as Heaton was injured in pre-season and had no match fitness. Got a gig in the Carabao Cup and then broke his leg in training. He's since retired. We get a small amount of insurance money but the clubs keeping situation continues to be a mess.

Midfield is an issue. Conor has been doing really well, with Drinkwater & Nakamba serviceable. McGinn a big disappointment thus far Luiz on the fringes.

As for Forwards, Samatta/Wesley seem to be good for 1 between them most games. Have resorted to Jack out wide left because of Trezeguet/El Ghazi being poor. Andre Green has featured off the bench the last two games and has shown more.

I was the same for the first 4/5 games of the season. The midfield didn't work. Dropped Grealish in as a mezzala (attack) and he scored 7 and assisted 11. Just have to accept disappointing performances from trez and el Ghazi because they aren't good enough. If you find players to bring in and improve this area, let me know. think I was being too ambitious.

• Thanks 1

Away at Arsenal - 0-0, lucky to escape with a point.
Away at Liverpool - Lost 2-0 but it could have been much worse. Liverpool have a perfect record at this point.
Home to Southampton - Better side, go ahead late through a Douglas Luiz screamer, Michael Obafemi equalises 3 minutes from time.
Away at Wolves - They have started very poorly and have just sacked Nuno. His replacement isn't in yet but we poor on more misery. A Jack brace and we leave with 3 points. They end up hiring Bielsa!
Home to West Ham - Another struggling team. We dominate them and go ahead 2-0. A poor Reina mistake makes it closer than it should have been.
Home to Brighton - Jack, Anwar and an own goal see us win 3-1 and that's 3 on the trot.
Away at Burnley - We get Dyched. Two Chris Wood headers are enough to see us off despite a Samatta penalty.
Home to Man City - They've been remarkably poor but they are still too good for us. We lose 2-0. It doesn't help that we've now lost Engels for 3 months.
Away at Watford - Steven Gerrard's first game in charge sees them win their first game of the season. Peak Villa :rolleyes:
Away at Newcastle - Christmas period is starting to bite. Jack is suspended and Luiz joins Engels on the long term sidelines. An Anwar goal is enough to halt our 3 game losing streak.

Exactly half way through the season and we're sitting on 26 points in 11th. Liverpool lead with 52 points after 18 games from Man United on 41. West Ham (15pts), Burnley (14pts) and Watford (7pts) make up the relegation zone.

A few days away from the transfer window opening, so hopefully we can strengthen.

5 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm thinking of getting FM for my tablet.  Anyone know which of the Mobile or Touch versions would be better?

Mobile is very simplified. No team talks, press conferences, limited backroom staff and facilities stuff. Some may actually find that to be preferable tho, I guess. 

• Thanks 1

I'll cease the match updates as it's probably overkill.

January transferred window just closed. We're still sitting in 11th with 30 points after 24 games, so surely safety should be secured before the end of the season.

Haven't been able to cash in on anyone so the transfer kitty was very small. Firstly brought in Jordon Ibe on loan from Bournemouth for the rest of the season and then signed Yvon Mvogo from RB Leipzig for 1.9m given Heaton's retirement. 

Borja Baston then agreed to leave on a free at the end of the season to CSKA Moscow. I then managed to sign Janik Haberer from Freiburg on a fee at the end of the season.

In the week leading up to the close of the window, Drinkwater tears his knee ligaments. His season being over he's recalled by Chelsea. His replacement is McTominay on loan.

Then the day before the window closes, Steer does his achilles and is out for the season, whilst Wesley does his ankle and is out for 2 months. With virtually no strikers available in the loan market I manage to get Josh Maja in for the rest of the season based solely on the Sunderland Till I Die documentary. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm thinking of getting FM for my tablet.  Anyone know which of the Mobile or Touch versions would be better?

Mobile is dogshit

Touch is OK, no team talks, no FFP and then limited depth to training, staff, player happiness and database size (load 2 more countries even if you have no intention of managing in them, you need the scouting pool) it's fairly quick and it skims over the international stuff, summers are really quick on it

Edit - I should add I play it via the text with goal highlights rather than the 3d engine so the drop down there doesn't bother me, the stats is limited (you can't change them from the basic, on the full game I like to put in chances created) and I would guess the scripting is reduced

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

Sitting 2nd. Absolutely battered Sheff Utd.

24 shots, 12 on target. 64% possession. They had a man sent off on 32 minutes.

5 shots 3 on target for them. 36% possession.

They won 1-0. F this game sometimes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hornso said:

I'll cease the match updates as it's probably overkill.

January transferred window just closed. We're still sitting in 11th with 30 points after 24 games, so surely safety should be secured before the end of the season.

Haven't been able to cash in on anyone so the transfer kitty was very small. Firstly brought in Jordon Ibe on loan from Bournemouth for the rest of the season and then signed Yvon Mvogo from RB Leipzig for 1.9m given Heaton's retirement. 

Borja Baston then agreed to leave on a free at the end of the season to CSKA Moscow. I then managed to sign Janik Haberer from Freiburg on a fee at the end of the season.

In the week leading up to the close of the window, Drinkwater tears his knee ligaments. His season being over he's recalled by Chelsea. His replacement is McTominay on loan.

Then the day before the window closes, Steer does his achilles and is out for the season, whilst Wesley does his ankle and is out for 2 months. With virtually no strikers available in the loan market I manage to get Josh Maja in for the rest of the season based solely on the Sunderland Till I Die documentary. 

Did you have any more luck with your midfield? 

Exactly the same happened to me with Drinkwater, at exactly the same time and exactly the same injury!! I terminated Drinkwater's loan though. Hence why I bought in Orel Mangala. I'm working all weekend on nights now though so I won't be playing till Tuesday night at best!!

Any wizards out there able to assist me? 

Had someone mock me up some concept kits to put into the game. He’s done them, but only like a preview, see below. Can anyone get the kits into a format where I can get them into the game please?! They chap has stopped responding to me...!

3-F7-D64-F5-9784-47-D8-B1-EA-3-D3-A91953

• Like 2

On 18/04/2020 at 06:59, Mjvilla said:

Did you have any more luck with your midfield? 

Exactly the same happened to me with Drinkwater, at exactly the same time and exactly the same injury!! I terminated Drinkwater's loan though. Hence why I bought in Orel Mangala. I'm working all weekend on nights now though so I won't be playing till Tuesday night at best!!

McGinn has definitely improved the last 5 games or so. He's scored a couple of goals playing as a Mezzela. Hourihane has dropped off a bit but probably because I like bringing him off the bench and he's often used to plug the hole left by somebody missing. Luiz and McTominay have been decent. Nakamba is probably the weakest of the lot and seems to get a yellow every game, but he's the only one who is a natural at playing DMC.

Resorted to leaving Jack out wide. El Ghazi has been better and started finding the back of the net. Trezeguet does some good stuff but never scores when he has the chance. Then he'll go away with Egypt and have no problem getting on the scoresheet. 

Sorry, just quickly. Has anyone else had a random friendly arranged in mid-Feb for them? I had one against Norwegian side Molde. Played a rubbish team and won 4-0. Michael Tait scored a hat-trick...so here's another question. He's not highly rated at all, but if he has a game like that, should I give him a chance to develop at the club?

Also, what's the best and worst case scenarios in the game regarding Brexit?

Â