Pre Match Thread

maqroll

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

West Ham will finish top half imo so I'd say plan to pick up points against bottom half teams like Southampton, Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton etc. It's not so simple though as I'd say Bournemouth and Palace will finish bottom half and we lost narrowly to both yet beat Everton who I think will be top 8.

Exactly. This is a game we've shown we can win, as we beat Everton who I think will finish higher than West Ham. Any side at home outside of Liverpool and Man City should be a game we aim for 3 points in, yes we won't win every one of course not and games against the other top 6 sides will be extremely tough to win but we are capable of beating anyone outside those two sides at home imo. And I still think West Ham are a midtable side who will probably finish around 9th or 10th, they have a strong set of attacking players but their defence is not as good as Everton's and we scored two against them. Also, while they signed Haller and Fornals, they lost Arnautovic, Hernandez and Perez who contributed 20 goals in the league last season. 

There's no question that we can't take West Ham lightly but I also feel that we need to believe in ourselves a bit more. We have a very talented team, yes it is new and still getting used to each other, but there is absolutely enough in this team to get a result against West Ham at home. And there's also enough in this team to stay up comfortably, the home form will be crucial to that. 

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I cant wait for the day for natural order to be restored and we arent playing catch up to likes of bloody WHU. Feels so strange being referred to as the newboys and newly promoted side, etc. Staying up will be massive, then maybe we can litter our side with £40m Anderson's & £45m Hallers

Still at least we made it back and are in good hands on and off the pitch. The rebuild has begun, this season was always going to be the hardest. Really hope Deano can pull it off. Win will be massive for confidence, need to make VP our bread n butter games.

No Lacazette for Arsenal next week on a side note.

I am sure that’s in the plan, I don’t think the owners plan to sit still, I think they will back the management at each level we achieve. Staying up is imperative this season, but not not a disaster if we do go down as the squad should almost entirely stay together you’d hope (we wouldn’t have to sell).

Its all down to us.....if we find the necessary energy ( all of the team, not some)and apply it, we can beat anybody.

If we don't we can lose to anybody.....as last week proved.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AVTuco said:

No one sane is taking West Ham lightly. Where on earth has this nonsense come from? 

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm really confident about Monday night. We haven't even found our groove yet, but, trust me, it will come. In Deano we trust. 

Lolz

Although the atmosphere will be good on doubt, I personally hate these Monday night games, as you are always aware of other results and playing catch up.   

If we can recreate the Everton night around the ground, then I think we get a result here. Either 1-1 or fingers crossed, 2-1 to us. 

Finally, would love to see Nakamba start this one and see what he can do.

16 hours ago, TRO said:

Its all down to us.....if we find the necessary energy ( all of the team, not some)and apply it, we can beat anybody.

If we don't we can lose to anybody.....as last week proved.

Yeah.

Only if last game proved anything it's that a team that doesn't look much on paper can have the chemistry to outplay their opposition.

Besides, everyone in this league has got someone who can turn it on, on their day. Sometimes all it takes is a moment of brilliance to decide a stalemate.

Hodgson's pre-match interview stated they considered us a good team and a threat and that they thought they'd identified where we are strong and a way to nullify that.

Clearly he was serious and not just blowing hot air. I'm not sure we anticipated the game as well as Palace. Their team and top performer (Zaha) played better than ours (Grealish).

Norwich defeating City is another example, and more apt because of the distinction in talent and skill available from each team, of why you should play to win each week.

Crowd plays a massive part in every game. The fans at Carrow Road gave the players the energy to fight until the last minute.  

We did the same against Everton and even Bournemouth we were creating chances until the final whistle. 

We need to do it every home game. Villa park is so important for us this season.

• Like 3

I wonder what the trains are going to be like back to Brum afterwards? Haven't been down on a night for a while, but it's bad enough on Saturdays.

First game of the season for me, and really excited; although slightly nervous!

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for a good result tomorrow, it would be great to get some more points on the board against a West Ham side who are possibly better than us on paper. If we lose, there mustn't be a hysterical reaction about it as there's still plenty to come from this team this season.

Hopefully Marvelous gets a chance in the first team as he looked very tidy on the ball against Crewe, I remember thinking how little he gave the ball away - if we are going to build from the back he appears on first glance to be a good man to distribute the ball around the midfield. That and the fact that Luiz has been with Brazil in the international break, I would expect Marvelous to start if he is match fit.

Still unsure who our best two wingers are for now because nobody has yet cemented their place in the team imo. Hopefully tomorrow can answer some of those questions.

------------------------Heaton--------------------------

---Guilbert----Mings----Engels----Taylor---

--------------Marvelous----McGinn--------------

-----Trezeguet-----Grealish---------Jota--------

-------------------------Wesley--------------------------

Predicting a 1-1 draw, which I think would be a reasonable point.

I can’t be bothered checking, but would be interesting to know how West Ham do away vs how they do at home. The London Stadium has by a mile the worst atmosphere of anywhere  I have ever watched a match, so I bet they can’t wait to get out of there, and their 2.5k or whatever away fans will be easier to hear than the many more poor souls they pack in at home every week. That being said, we should really be aiming to beat the likes of West Ham at home - yes, they will likely come ahead of us by the end of the season, but if we are going into games against this sort of opposition without realistically thinking we can turn them over then we are restricting our expectations to only being able to beat about 7 teams over the season, which is ridiculous if we want to stay up, let alone do anything more. I’ve been greatly impressed with our defence, but really disappointed with our general forward play this season - we all know that we are capable going forward, we just need to show it. If we are brave, and run the ball through midfield, 3 - 0 to AVFC - let’s remind David Cameron who is boss.