Pre Match Thread

maqroll

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is at Villa Park right? I'd keep Luiz in. Nakamba on as a sub, then probably start Nakamba away. 

Any news on Target?

Targett out I think as SGC said. Quite frustrating as I would like to see a defence of Guilbert, Engels, Mings, Targett but Taylor will play again against West Ham I suspect. Most likely the only change from Palace will be Trezeguet out and El Ghazi in but we were awful against Palace so those players keeping their places need to play a lot better, especially the midfielders. Grealish needs to up his performances, as do the wingers and Luiz too. Can't keep giving the ball away so cheaply and gifting the opposition so many chances and we need to start creating more for Wesley. 

Against Arsenal Smith ought to be thinking about bringing in Nakamba and Targett by then I think but that's a discussion for that match thread. I'd quite like to see us go 4-2-3-1 because currently we're not creating enough and we're gifting the opposition a lot of chances worryingly, with Nakamba alongside either Luiz or McGinn. 

Hopefully we'll start to see how strongest team and formation in the coming weeks.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

Charlie Nicolas thinks Villa will win, and he almost never backs villa.

Makes me feel like perhaps all the doom and despair round the place is misplaced.

Today, getting released from hosital after a sinus operation, i'm quietly optimistic about the game.  Even ordered ssn so i can watch it.  

So now you know who to blame the result on either way. 

Totally agree with @useless in his earlier post. We play to win, not make up the numbers. If we fail then we try to understand why and adopt a better approach.

So West Ham have some talent? I don't really know to what extent if I'm honest, I know their manager is good. I know they have some former performers at this level.

But I also know we have talent and skill necessary to win games too. And that's why @useless is bang on point, we can't let fear determine our approach.

Before anyone goes swooning over West Ham's lineup remember Carlos Sanchez has played in every game for them. Snodgrass is in contention for a starting place.

They're not so far above us guys.

6 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Totally agree with @useless in his earlier post. We play to win, not make up the numbers. If we fail then we try to understand why and adopt a better approach.

So West Ham have some talent? I don't really know to what extent if I'm honest, I know their manager is good. I know they have some former performers at this level.

But I also know we have talent and skill necessary to win games too. And that's why @useless is bang on point, we can't let fear determine our approach.

Before anyone goes swooning over West Ham's lineup remember Carlos Sanchez has played in every game for them. Snodgrass is in contention for a starting place.

They're not so far above us guys.

Yeah they do have talent, midfield and up top they are very good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Yeah they do have talent, midfield and up top they are very good.

Agree with this, they’re an excellent side, Pellegrini is a top manager, Felipe Anderson is one of the best players in the league I think. Issa Diop is also an excellent centre back 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Both teams will score I reckon.

Haller is such a good player. Mingels will be able to stop him turning I reckon, but we need a decent screen to stop Lanzini/Yarmelenko/Anderson shelling shots in on goal.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

This feels like a Desmond to me. Think it will be end to end/head in hands sort of game we routinely got used to in the championship so with it being a night game will be retro one for last few seasons.

One thing that concerns me is how light we are with attacking options off the bench. In this league it can't just be all about the first 11. If they get nulified you need 2-3 good options and we simply don't.

I presume we'll bring back El Ghazi into first 11 with Trez out if just for a bit more pace when we break. Leaves us with just Davis and Hourihane as any sort of attacking options if it's 1-1 or we're losing with 20 minutes left. Frustrating that Kodj has picked up another injury as would've been good to have him back in the 18.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

This feels like a Desmond to me. Think it will be end to end/head in hands sort of game we routinely got used to in the championship so with it being a night game will be retro one for last few seasons.

One thing that concerns me is how light we are with attacking options off the bench. In this league it can't just be all about the first 11. If they get nulified you need 2-3 good options and we simply don't.

I presume we'll bring back El Ghazi into first 11 with Trez out if just for a bit more pace when we break. Leaves us with just Davis and Hourihane as any sort of attacking options if it's 1-1 or we're losing with 20 minutes left. Frustrating that Kodj has picked up another injury as would've been good to have him back in the 18.

I think you make some good points here but I think they have faith in Davis, if they didn’t have faith in him, then a new striker would’ve been brought in in my opinion 

Truth is we SHOULD be winning this, whether we can or not remains to be seen, meeting them at home may be too early for us. But if we don’t expect to win home games against [historically] lower half teams where do we plan to pick up points to stay up?

Personally I think we will not lose, but if we do we need to dig deep or we will be done by December with the run of games we have.

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you make some good points here but I think they have faith in Davis, if they didn’t have faith in him, then a new striker would’ve been brought in in my opinion 

Trouble is Davis has been very injury prone in last two seasons from limited game time. If he picked up knock that kept him out for 5 weeks like Kodj I don't have a clue who'd be our back up striker on the bench given we've loaned out RHM.

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

Truth is we SHOULD be winning this, whether we can or not remains to be seen, meeting them at home may be too early for us. But if we don’t expect to win home games against [historically] lower half teams where do we plan to pick up points to stay up?

Personally I think we will not lose, but if we do we need to dig deep or we will be done by December with the run of games we have.

West Ham will finish top half imo so I'd say plan to pick up points against bottom half teams like Southampton, Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton etc. It's not so simple though as I'd say Bournemouth and Palace will finish bottom half and we lost narrowly to both yet beat Everton who I think will be top 8.

I cant wait for the day for natural order to be restored and we arent playing catch up to likes of bloody WHU. Feels so strange being referred to as the newboys and newly promoted side, etc. Staying up will be massive, then maybe we can litter our side with £40m Anderson's & £45m Hallers. 

Still at least we made it back and are in good hands on and off the pitch. The rebuild has begun, this season was always going to be the hardest. Really hope Deano can pull it off. Win will be massive for confidence, need to make VP our bread n butter games.

No Lacazette for Arsenal next week on a side note.