Pre Match Thread

maqroll

12 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Is that you, David Cameron?

Cameron can't lose this one can he!

Looks like the bookies aren't entirely sure about this one same(ish) odds for a home or away win, just over evens. Draw 2s, under 1.5 goals is long so looks like the consensus is for a few goals and coudl go either way.

Probs a fair assessment I say. Would be massive to win this, go back to back wins at home, give us some faith as to being able to get most of the points we need in the home games etc. Still though, look at the table and look who we've played so far, West Ham are another team round the top 6 and won 3 on the bounce. 

Tough ask.

• Like 1

Not surprised the bookies are finding this one hard to call. I can see a narrow Villa win. One-goal margin. With a deafening Villa Park dragging the lads over the line again. Would also love to have a totally anonymous ref, who saw his role as merely facilitating a fair sporting contest between two sides (pure crazy talk, I know).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/09/2019 at 15:55, Villan_of_oz said:

If we lose this, we may as well book our Championship tickets for next season....

:trollface:

Its a bit early for that I think. Its more than possible to lose 20 and still stay up. Not saying thats what will happen but its early days yet.

14 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Oh FFS, The assistant VAR is the same as at Palace 😂

They couldn't have done anything in that game, Friend took them completely out of the equation.

If it was the same one as the one in the Bournemouth game then I'd be worried.

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Mike Dean is the ref. Give us a break please. 

Dean reffed us away at Forest last season in the game after Grealish got punched at the sty. I thought at the time we had a lot of decisions go in our favour.

26 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Honestly dont think they have. At least 10 blatant errors not overturned which begs the question, what is the point in even having it ?

I can see a knee jerk reaction coming in the VAR shite show. They will over turn everything this weekend

**** Friend. 

My first game this season after having to miss the first two. Excited for it. Reckon we can give anyone a match if the fans are behind the team. Especially on a monday night under the lights. West Ham are a very good team but can be gotten at. We need to be on our game against Haller and Grealish needs to get the better of Rice. 

• Like 1

The Spammers def have a few dangerous players but are weak at the back and we need to play with the same intensity going forward against them as we did against Everton. We could do with a win as we go to Arsenal on the Sunday and even if we were to draw we'd have picked up only 4 points from 5 games and defeat at Arsenal could leave us in a bit of bother. I don't think West Ham are as good as Everton so we are capable of winning, I'm fairly confident with the defence but going forward we are just not scoring enough. I think it's 4 goals scored from 4, and all of them have been different goalscorers. For them Haller looks a real handful and they have a number of good attacking midfielders like Lanzini, Yarmolenko and Anderson plus some options off the bench. So not an easy task for our defence so our attackers need to be on their game because West Ham's defence (especially their full backs) is not top drawer and they leak a lot of goals. 

Interestingly, according to the Fifa 20 ratings, this is our strongest team (player rating in brackets):

.........................................Heaton (80)...............................................

Guilbert (76)..........Engels (76)..........Mings (74)..........Targett (72)

....................................Marvelous (76)..............................................

.......................McGinn (75).................Grealish (77).........................

El Ghazi (74)..............................................................Trezeguet (77)

............................................Wesley (79)............................................

Wonder how long it will be before we see Nakamba and Targett in the team. 

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The Spammers def have a few dangerous players but are weak at the back and we need to play with the same intensity going forward against them as we did against Everton. We could do with a win as we go to Arsenal on the Sunday and even if we were to draw we'd have picked up only 4 points from 5 games and defeat at Arsenal could leave us in a bit of bother. I don't think West Ham are as good as Everton so we are capable of winning, I'm fairly confident with the defence but going forward we are just not scoring enough. I think it's 4 goals scored from 4, and all of them have been different goalscorers. For them Haller looks a real handful and they have a number of good attacking midfielders like Lanzini, Yarmolenko and Anderson plus some options off the bench. So not an easy task for our defence so our attackers need to be on their game because West Ham's defence (especially their full backs) is not top drawer and they leak a lot of goals. 

Interestingly, according to the Fifa 20 ratings, this is our strongest team (player rating in brackets):

.........................................Heaton (80)...............................................

Guilbert (76)..........Engels (76)..........Mings (74)..........Targett (72)

....................................Marvelous (76)..............................................

.......................McGinn (75).................Grealish (77).........................

El Ghazi (74)..............................................................Trezeguet (77)

............................................Wesley (79)............................................

Wonder how long it will be before we see Nakamba and Targett in the team. 

Smith says Nakamba is close to being ready on the OS, he’s in his thoughts for the West Ham match. Matt Targett won’t be ready for the West Ham match, it’s on the OS