Pre Match Thread

maqroll

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nope. I think 36 will give you a decent chance this season.

Only one team in the last six years has gone down having reached 36 points.

Forty points to be on the safe side. The points are a touch easier to come by at the start & become progressively harder as the season progresses 

On 1 September 2019 at 16:33, Mantis said:

Can't wait to get robbed by corrupt officials again.

I want any official who tries to mug us off at Villa Park to find it a very uncomfortable experience. I am not ashamed to say, I want the crowd to pressure them relentlessly from the first whistle. 20+ years ago, Barnsley were swiftly hounded out of the Premier League by terrible decisions from refs who seemed to fall into a kind of bullying group-think against them (if you disregard the darker theories of Barnsley fans). Four games in, and we are clearly not getting the rub of the green (to say the least). I hope one consequence of Kevin Friend's contempt for our captain and our club is that he just made things a shitload harder for all his WhatsApp buddies when they step out at Villa Park.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Hernandez off to Sevilla. That's good for us i suppose. Good player

He wasn't a regular starter for them anymore but yes the sort who'd come off the bench with us 1 up with 15 minutes left and score two scrappy goals like he did for Man. United against us.

They'll line up with Haller upfront and Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmolenko behind. Snodgrass and Fornals as options off the bench. Have to say after haphazard transfer windows West Ham have recruited really well the last two summer windows. Really should be finishing in top 8.

On 01/09/2019 at 13:38, terrytini said:

I’d love to know what it is you’ve seen Targett do to get in there.  Woeful against Crewe, average in pre season.

The rest I can understand, but not for me.

If I was going to start Nakamba, I’d make sure I didn’t repeat the mistake when we started with Luiz. I wouldn’t put a player new to this League in that midfield. 

I’d start him with CH or DL, or even both, at the expense of one or both of Jota and El Ghazi.

Which in turn will give Jack and John the freedom to go forward which has so far been curtailed by the need for them to shore up midfield.

Mind you I don’t usually have preferences or make predictions as we don’t see what the Manager sees either up close or in player diagnostics.

We paid a reported fee of £11m for Targett, I can’t see him being on the bench for much longer. I think he is better than Taylor, although Taylor has done well recently. I’d just prefer to see a younger, more spritely Targett given an opportunity. In my opinion, Hourihane would be dominated in this league 

We really need to recreate the atmosphere of the Everton game. It made a huge difference, and helped the team grow into a difficult game. Its a nightgame again, sellout again? id imagine, hopefully the turn out will be just as good on a Monday as it was on a Friday. The Spammers have a decent side thesedays but are still very inconsistant.

2-1 Villa

Grealish, Wesley (pen)

• Like 1

It's important that the crowd stick with the team, come what may, and give the referee a roasting, come what may. Consider it a dirty protest against the officials. Make it difficult for the ref... make it difficult for the opposition.

Hopeful of a win... happy (ish) with a draw... would be disappointed with a bumming. Hopefully that is realistic enough to keep the thought police off my back.

• Like 2

On 01/09/2019 at 09:07, OutByEaster? said:

-----------------------------Heaton----------------------------

Guilbert--------Engels--------Mings----------Taylor

-------------------Nakamba---------Luiz-------------------

-------McGinn------------Jota-------Grealish---------

-----------------------------Wesley---------------------------

As much as I'd like to see something a little bit different...........no chance DS is nothing but predictable it will be a 4-3-3 with Al Ghazi replacing Trez other wise same team,  same subs apart from El Ghazi who will be replaced with JK if fit, if he's not then I don't know? DS likes a GK then 2 options in each area of the field on the bench.

Edited by zab6359

On 03/09/2019 at 10:30, The_Rev said:

Well, this is the day I’ve been waiting for.  The_Rev jr has just celebrated his 8th birthday and it’s time to take him to his first game down the Villa.  He’s probably going to knackered at school on Tuesday morning so let’s hope it’s worth it.  😄

He'll enjoy the atmosphere if Everton is anything to go by.

• Like 1

I don't see the training day in day out, but I'd like to see this:

--------------------Wesley--------------------
Grealish---------Mcginn----------Jota
-------------Nakamba--Luiz---------------
Taylor---Mings---Engels---Guilbert
---------------------Heaton-------------------

Grealish is better through the middle but sometimes you have to do what is right for the team. At present, teams are creating way too many chances against us through the middle so we need a proper defensive midfielder in there. I'm hoping Nakamba is that player.
FWIW, I think he will just swap Trez out for El Ghazi. I trust Smith though so whatever he plays, I'll support.

Id try a 4-2-3-1, Guilbert can get up and down that right flank, just needs to show a bit more discipline in getting back. That width will allow Jota to come inside and link well like we know he can with Grealish and Wesley. Jack needs to stay much further up the pitch than he has been, having Luiz and SJM behind him should allow him some freedom, McGinn can run all day so can join in and support the attack. Need AEG to be at it, hopefully he comes out with a point to prove having not featured at all at Palace. Massive performance needed.

Heaton

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Taylor

McGinn - Douglas

Jota - Grealish - El-Ghazi

Wesley

I think people are being a bit OTT on the refs thing. We were shafted in the CP game but we were very poor anyway and against Bournemouth and Spuds we were our own enemy. If we play well enough, we will win notwithstanding what the referees get up to.

In any event I think this is an important game. We really need some momentum.