Pre Match Thread

maqroll

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How are we getting to 40 points then?

Because we need to Win 10/12 games.

Irrelevant who it is against, and whether it’s Home or Away.

The idea that there are some Teams we “ must” beat is just wrong.

As is the idea that it matters when we beat them.

Just now, terrytini said:

Because we need to Win 10/12 games.

Irrelevant who it is against, and whether it’s Home or Away.

The idea that there are some Teams we “ must” beat is just wrong.

As is the idea that it matters when we beat them.

We might get the odd win against top 6/7 teams like Everton but to expect to beat them regularly is a bit optimistic.

Beating 6-7 of the bottom half is how teams generally stay up particularly with the home games.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We probably do mate. These are the 6 pointers.

No, we don’t, and they aren’t.

There are 14 Teams battling to stay up. 

By January it might be 12.

But nobody knows which ones. 

A couple of Wins will separate somewhere like 10 Clubs.

For all we know, Bournemouth could end up 8th.....is that a 6 pointer ?

I will agree with anyone who says we need 10/12 Wins.

But against who ? Must Win ? Ought to beat ? Etc ? Nah....

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

No, we don’t, and they aren’t.

There are 14 Teams battling to stay up. 

By January it might be 12.

But nobody knows which ones. 

A couple of Wins will separate somewhere like 10 Clubs.

For all we know, Bournemouth could end up 8th.....is that a 6 pointer ?

I will agree with anyone who says we need 10/12 Wins.

But against who ? Must Win ? Ought to beat ? Etc ? Nah....

I’ll be shocked if those 4 teams aren’t in the mix for relegation come the last few games of the season. 

Only time will tell...

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

We might get the odd win against top 6/7 teams like Everton but to expect to beat them regularly is a bit optimistic.

Beating 6-7 of the bottom half is how teams generally stay up particularly with the home games.

We don’t need to beat them regularly, nor anyone else. We need to Win 1 in 4 games.

6/7 “ bottom half” teams ? Nobody knows who they are ! 

2 Wins could separate 10 Clubs.

Of course we need Wins but this idea that there are games we “ should” or “ ought” or “ must” Win is simply wrong.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll be shocked if those 4 teams aren’t in the mix for relegation come the last few games of the season. 

Only time will tell...

That is my point.

I never understand the pessimistic speculation.

Sometimes it’s as if people don’t actually watch football.

There are literally countless examples where teams lose games against “ lesser” teams, Win against “ better” teams, lose 6 in a row then come good, start great then fall away, get more  points away than at home, etc etc etc.

It baffles me why some would actually BEGIN by not only trying to predict what’s needed, but against who, when, and what the consequences would be if not.

After the Stoke game last Season I posted that it was perfectly possible to get in the Play Offs. Many thought it wasn’t.

Youd think Villa fans of all people will have learnt to wait and see, and not prejudge.

For 6 months many said Leeds were certainties.

We could have 5 Wins by Christmas and still comfortably stay up.

• Like 1

We need to trying to win most games, only a few should we be looking for a draw, can't just keep writing games off saying it's alright we only need to win one in four, with that attitude we'd finish comfortably bottom of the table. Besides whilst come the end of the season if we survive then it will be a season well done, but whilst we're in the midst of it, we should be aiming for more than just survival, we've probably got a better chance of avoiding relegation if we aim high and set ourselves a target of finishing top half, rather than aiming to just about survive.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

We don’t need to beat them regularly, nor anyone else. We need to Win 1 in 4 games.

6/7 “ bottom half” teams ? Nobody knows who they are ! 

2 Wins could separate 10 Clubs.

Of course we need Wins but this idea that there are games we “ should” or “ ought” or “ must” Win is simply wrong.

Well they're not going to be Man. City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Man. United or Chelsea if that helps. :lol: Those 9 are still very likely to be in top half in whatever order.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well they're not going to be Man. City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Man. United or Chelsea if that helps. :lol: Those 9 are still very likely to be in top half in whatever order.

Agree, with “ very likely” ( not certain) and “top half”.

A much more realistic statement than where we started in my view 🙂

1 hour ago, useless said:

We need to trying to win most games, only a few should we be looking for a draw, can't just keep writing games off saying it's alright we only need to win one in four, with that attitude we'd finish comfortably bottom of the table. Besides whilst come the end of the season if we survive then it will be a season well done, but whilst we're in the midst of it, we should be aiming for more than just survival, we've probably got a better chance of avoiding relegation if we aim high and set ourselves a target of finishing top half, rather than aiming to just about survive.

Trying/ aiming for/ aim high/ set ourselves target/rather than aiming to survive,...

Completely agree.

A much more realistic statement than where we started 🙂

I knew it was worth sacrificing an hour or so to shift perspectives a bit 🙂

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nine wins, nine draws. 

I think that'd do it.

Does that include Everton win?

38 points always felt safe to me in the bleak Lambert years. Think we also stayed up on that under Sherwood. As long as your GD isn't horrific you'd be pretty unlucky to go down on that