Pre Match Thread

maqroll

It's clear that Villa Park has to be a fortress if we're to stay up. It's a must win game at home versus a mid tier side. Hopefully our internationals stay healthy. Sh*t's about to get real.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

It's clear that Villa Park has to be a fortress if we're to stay up. It's a must win game at home versus a mid tier side. Hopefully our internationals stay healthy. Sh*t's about to get real.

West Ham have some very good players, this will be a tough game.

• Like 1

-----------------------------Heaton----------------------------

Guilbert--------Engels--------Mings----------Taylor

-------------------Nakamba---------Luiz-------------------

-------McGinn------------Jota-------Grealish---------

-----------------------------Wesley---------------------------

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

-----------------------------Heaton----------------------------

Guilbert--------Engels--------Mings----------Taylor

-------------------Nakamba---------Luiz-------------------

-------McGinn------------Jota-------Grealish---------

-----------------------------Wesley---------------------------

Like it

West Ham have lots of quality upfront these days....Haller was a superb signing imo and already rattling in a few goals. Felipe Anderson if he wakes up right is also a big goal threat from out wide and I like Lanzini as the playmaker and he's just signed a new deal there. Yarmolenko also back from his injury and so ahead of Fornals and Snoddy.

Would be surprised if we kept a clean sheet but then I thought that about Everton and we did.

Would keep Wesley in. He seems to like playing the more physical CBs given how well he did against Mina and they have Issa Diop and Ogbonna at the back who are both massive.

Can see it being pretty end to end and 2-2. West Ham drew 1-1 at Brighton and even though they won 3-1 at Watford, the home team missed loads of chances at 1-1 so they don't always play their best in away games.

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

West Ham have some very good players, this will be a tough game.

Every team in the league has good players, that’s my worry, we’ve spent over £140mil this summer and most teams still look better than us, our first 11 probably only contains 4 or 5 current internationals.

West Ham probably won’t finish higher than 10th so we have to target a win from this, not a draw, a win. We beat Everton who are better so it’s do-able.

Already lost to 2 teams we should be getting at least a point from if we’re to be comfortably safe, Grealish looks out of his depth, our best striker will do well to get into double figures. Hopefully my worries will be eradicated as the season goes on and the team starts to look good, have my doubts though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side would be: (feel free to disagree with me)

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

McGinn Nakamba Grealish

Jota Wesley El Ghazi

Subs: Steer, Konsa, Taylor, Elmohamady, Davis, Luiz, Hourihane 

I’d love to know what it is you’ve seen Targett do to get in there.  Woeful against Crewe, average in pre season.

The rest I can understand, but not for me.

If I was going to start Nakamba, I’d make sure I didn’t repeat the mistake when we started with Luiz. I wouldn’t put a player new to this League in that midfield. 

I’d start him with CH or DL, or even both, at the expense of one or both of Jota and El Ghazi.

Which in turn will give Jack and John the freedom to go forward which has so far been curtailed by the need for them to shore up midfield.

Mind you I don’t usually have preferences or make predictions as we don’t see what the Manager sees either up close or in player diagnostics.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Every team in the league has good players, that’s my worry, we’ve spent over £140mil this summer and most teams still look better than us, our first 11 probably only contains 4 or 5 current internationals.

West Ham probably won’t finish higher than 10th so we have to target a win from this, not a draw, a win. We beat Everton who are better so it’s do-able.

Already lost to 2 teams we should be getting at least a point from if we’re to be comfortably safe, Grealish looks out of his depth, our best striker will do well to get into double figures. Hopefully my worries will be eradicated as the season goes on and the team starts to look good, have my doubts though.

Another example of the thinking that’s doing my head in.