Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Thank **** it's half time.

Shocking ref, but a very, very poor performance from us, and I think we're very lucky to still be in this game. Probably forced in to some subs just to try and finish with 11 men.

Yup we need to make changes to some people on cards to stand a chance too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

I was at the Everton game last week. I said i thought Douglas's workrate and bravery on the ball was pretty poor but nobody wants to listen amidst the euphoria of a 2 nil win. He looks bare minimum so far and doesn't kill himself.

either i'm having deja vu, or you are.

• Haha 1

Douglas and Jota off for Hourihane and El Ghazi.

could just as easily take off Jack or John but we know they can pull something out of the bag. We probably should have had Nakamba on the bench for this game but understand you couldn’t drop the others off and Lansbury earned his slot on the bench midweek, tough one.

He's not even in the squad now, but come the end of the season I think Marvelous will be a regular starter for us, we're going to need someone like him in the team, at the moment like most teams we're not good enough to do without such a player.

Just now, Awol said:

All of this but the likes of Trez & Jack aren’t trying to beat their man, always looking for the pass instead of taking people on. We’re lacking aggression in attack. 

I'd agree, one thing our squad misses is a genuine flyer - someone with real pace who can threaten to get in behind. I think Trezeguet is probably our quickest and he's not lightning. I think Jota will need to come off at half time for El Ghazi - we need some sort of threat at getting in behind them.

2 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

Grealish has been invisible so far.

Their midfield has bite and determination, it’s embarrassing our players in every confrontation/battle, we are coming up second best. Grealish slowing matters down isn’t helping today.

We need to be hitting Wesley and feeding off him. Problem is our basic play is so poor, we can’t place a pass or cross. 

AEG and Hourihane on for me as quickly as possible.

• Like 2

Don't even know where to begin with half.

For all the bad ref decisions, we have been utter shit all over the park.

Luiz and Jota have been really bad.

Grealish is way too deep and totally wasted out there.

Hourihane and Lansbury on for me. Jota and Luiz off.

• Like 1

Some good spells of possession, some really good positions wasted with poor decisions in the last third. Looked nervy after the ref decided to book every villa player who made a tackle. 

Need a good halt time talk from Dean to get the doubts out of their minds and get us moving the ball quicker. Should be out of this might still win it if we can find our form. 

Just now, useless said:

He's not even in the squad now, but come the end of the season I think Marvelous will be a regular starter for us, we're going to need someone like him in the team, at the moment like most teams we're not good enough to do without such a player.

He’d have been booked twice already.

Really uninspiring first half. We won't win if we repeat that because we won't create a single chance.

Trezeguet only player to really threaten much for us. Jota some okay dribbles but hits the dead end every time.

Thought the ref actually got most of that right. There was a foul on Grealish left flank final third by the byline that should've our way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I am always dismayed when I see that it is this referee.

This guy definitely has something against us.

David Elleray's bastard offspring

• Like 2

For me, I thought Mings started the half badly but improved, Engels has been quiet, which I like in a CB, Guilbert has struggled to get forward but defended okay - Taylor has struggled against a very good winger and hasn't been able to help the midfield at all - Grealish has been a good link but not been able to do anything high up the pitch, McGinn has been uncharacteristically invisible, Luiz kinda okay, Jota lost, Trez has worked hard but not got behind and Wesley has been a passenger.

We ether need some sort of fluency to develop or we need some sort of threat in behind - with neither, we're reliant on luck.