Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/19 at 22:59

I was hoping for a result at Palace but can't be too dismissive of them, last two seasons they've finished 12th and 11th, since getting promoted seven years ago the lowest they've finished is 15th. They're a comfortable midtable Premier league side.

6 hours ago, tinker said:

Should appeal Jack's yellow card and set the record straight. We should never have to endure that refs antics again he was clearly biased and as Motd stated, worst referring decision ever 

i quite like that.  appeal the card.  however the Premier League will likely balk because I THINK a card is a critical decision that VAR can review, so they COULD have overturned the card.  But like I said earlier in this thread, I haven't stayed current on the laws for several years and that includes all the VAR rules.   

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Someone said in the Match thread that you can't look to the ref if you lose a game you can only look at yourselves, but I disagree with this. 

So much of football is about momentum.  The ref did everything in his power to ensure the momentum was with Palace. 

Whenever Palace were attacking any kind of tiny contact from us was immediately given as a free kick.  This meant we could not interrupt their forward play, it was pretty much impossible to get the ball off them with anything other than the cleanest of tackles, so most of the time we got the ball off them they were immediately back on us again from a free kick. 

Conversely everytime we were on the ball Palace players were pushing and shoving at us, going in with very hard tackles and it was almost never given, we seemed to time and time again spring an attack and surge forwards only to be hacked down or shoved over and the ref each time waving his arms around so we are stopped in our tracks. 

Finally any player on a yellow card has to play within himself somewhat so by dishing out cards to so many of our players he helps blunten our aggressiveness whilst allowing them to get away with strategic foul after foul after foul with no punishment. 

And of course the ultimate of disallowing a perfectly good goal for no reason whatsoever. 

Kevin Friend seemed determined that we would get nothing from this game from the very start and he must be delighted to have achieved this. 

It has happened to us from him too many times now.  I am convinced that he has something against us.  I mean this 100%. There is something wrong with how he referees our games.  It's too much to be coincidence. 

100% agree with you. I do believe Friend’s officiating was very cynical and suspicious of a bias AGAINST Villa, he has form v Villa too.

The disallowed goal was terrible, terrible decision at every level, with all the [VAR] tools and options available to him he should have allowed play to develop but he circumvented all of this and blew mid ball travel into the net. 

His desperation to ‘get’ Villa reminds me of the Alan Partridge episode where he doesn’t get recommissioned but tells all his staff he has then looks for ways to sack them for misdemeanours like when someone leaves a mug near a computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, useless said:

I was hoping for a result at Palace but can't be too dismissive of them, last two seasons they've finished 12th and 11th, since getting promoted seven years ago the lowest they've finished is 15th. They're a comfortable midtable Premier league side.

They have been for years, and way before we were relegated, and have only got stronger since. They were buying Zaha, Townsend and Benteke etc when we were selling.

Edited by thunderball

Still fuming about yesterday. We didn't play well, but we were playing against 12 men from the offset. Then to go down to 10 men and still somehow equalize only for it to be disallowed is hard to swallow.  Dean Smith and Purslow should most definitely file a complaint about the refs performance and request that he not to officiate any of our games again. Incompetence of the highest order and there's also history involved from the Chelsea game.

They say these types of decisions balance out over a season, so far we've had a shit ref not sending off Billing. Shit ref handing out yellow cards for little far too early in a game. Same shit ref disallowing a perfectly good goal. Not much is going in our favour so far.

Edited by PieFacE

2 hours ago, John said:

The VAR official (Andrew Madley) checked the incident and decided the verdict of simulation was fair! Referee Chris Foy has confirmed today, that if the pictures being seen by VAR don't totally contradict the referee's decision then he will not be overruled. My conclusion? Andrew Madley was more concerned about supporting a fellow referee's decision, than correcting an obvious error, unless he was auditioning for the role of Mr Magoo!😠

What Madley has said is that they reviewed the penalty situation  - they conveniently skip  as whether or not they agree with the booking for simulation 

Also the initial claim that Friend blew to early seems to be dubious as pictures have shown, he has his hand by his side at the time Grealish passes the ball. I honestly think he seen the ball hit the net then decide not to award the goal.

The other point is does the game stop for a dive ? - normally it doesn't.

Now I’ve had a chance to watch highlights, explains the comments on here in match thread. 

Given that even MOTD pundits can not explain it, utterly bonkers decision and clearly we were robbed of a point. I think I’ve seen that because the whistle was blown before the goal was disallowed, VAR doesn’t become involved as it wasn't one of those key decisions they can intervene on. I can understand that because if ref blows the whistle then some players will naturally stop. However whether Friend blew the whistle, well as MOTD say its debatable, clearly he didn’t. Horrific decision and I hope Villa make a formal complaint with him never referring Villa again. 

However, that being said we didn’t look good. We struggled to get in the game against a team that would be one of the possible rivals. The 2 yellow cards for trezeguet, first I can accept, the 2nd was harsh but I’ve seen softer cards given. I know we struggled after that particularly and being down a player it is understandable, but if we want to get points in this type of game/situations, we need to get hold of the ball and keep it.

Heaton though was absolutely the best player on the pitch and that says it all. Given how many good saves he had to make, we should have been 2/3 goals down before the disallowed goal. Already worth the money and then some.

We need perspective though. We have only just reached September internationals and there is a very long way to go. We have been close in all 3 games we have lost. Lessons need to be learnt but they will be, I have no doubt about that. We have 2 weeks to work with a lot of the players and West Ham will be winnable. Like Everton we will have a full villa park behind the team too. 

4 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Not sure. He probably went to bed with a big smirk on his face. Some of these refs just love the attention and like the match to be about them. Doubt he will apologise and will just move onto the next game like nothing happened. Probably won't ref another Villa match though.

I think I’d actually sacrifice the point if the outcome was not having to watch another game “refereed” by Kevin Friend.

Edited by tom_avfc

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Interesting watching  the Spurs pen just given , the ref clearly waits to see if Erickson gets a shot away ( presumably to see if he scores ) then blows to give the penalty 

Edited by tonyh29

2 hours ago, hippo said:

What Madley has said is that they reviewed the penalty situation  - they conveniently skip  as whether or not they agree with the booking for simulation 

Also the initial claim that Friend blew to early seems to be dubious as pictures have shown, he has his hand by his side at the time Grealish passes the ball. I honestly think he seen the ball hit the net then decide not to award the goal.

The other point is does the game stop for a dive ? - normally it doesn't.

I've read that this Andrew Madley is a Leeds fan too and has made derogatory comments about Villa previously. Not sure if that's true or not, anyone know?

Just watched the game. After reading the reactions I was expecting a poor performance. It wasn't. Crystal Palace is an established Premier League team with solid players topped with £80M Zaha. A newcomer playing away to an established team early in the season can easily be well beaten. We weren't. First half and up until Trez got sent of at 55' we were as good as them. We didn't create many clear cut chances, but neither did they bar McArthurs shot. After going one player down you would expect them to comfortably see the game out, they caused some trouble in our penalty area at times, had plenty of corners and some chances. But we still played positively, Grealish had two shots blocked, Guilbert haveing one chance. Their goal came on a counter attack when we had built up pressure against them.

The last minutes often reflect the game, you would have expected them to just pass it around seeing it out, instead we pressed them and should have had the equaliser if the ref wasn't an idiot.

A note on Wesley, he didn't have so much to work on, we didn't move the team enough forward to create many chances, but I still think he had a good game, did what could be expected by him. He hold the ball up well and finds good passes. As comparision I don't think Maupay touched the ball in the first half this week end, and Moise Keane didn't do much more. Don't think we could ask much more of Wesley than what he did this game.

All in all I think it was a fully ok performance from us, encouraging that we weren't well beaten. Had we not got the sending off we could as well have been the team who scored, even a draw would have been a good result. 

• Like 4

It wasnt a dive. He was nudged off balance running at pace, before having a knee put in his way clattering into his thigh. He gets his pass away, how the hell is he meant to stay up after the pressure of being surrounded by 4 players. Even if it was a dive, he passed the ball to a teammate. I originally thought it was being pulled back to award a penalty, a decision that would have infuriated me, what was to follow was unthinkable. Still fuming

• Like 1

Ali with a clear dive and Atkinson doesn’t book him  or award a free kick as according to the commentary “he didn’t go looking for it “

and now Harry Kane dives and no yellow for him either 

if only Atkinson had been in charge of our game  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ali with a clear dive and Atkinson doesn’t book him  or award a free kick as according to the commentary “he didn’t go looking for it “

and now Harry Kane dives and no yellow for him either 

if only Atkinson had been in charge of our game  

Said the same in another thread. The FA are a bunch of jokers.

• Thanks 1

Â