Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/19 at 22:59

3 minutes ago, sne said:

They could absolutely overturn the call after review, but since they've been instructed not to change the call on the field because it would put the refs in a bad light they are not doing so.

Which is surely counterproductive? If VAR had overturned that decision we still would have been upset with the original decision but that would have been quickly forgotten because we'd all be buzzing with a point. 

Instead this decision will be talked about and replayed all weekend, which puts the ref in a worse position than had his decision been overturned. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Which is surely counterproductive? If VAR had overturned that decision we still would have been upset with the original decision but that would have been quickly forgotten because we'd all be buzzing with a point. 

Instead this decision will be talked about and replayed all weekend, which puts the ref in a worse position than had his decision been overturned. 

Well yeah.

I think it's gash. 

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So basically your saying we will only beat the teams that have just come up??  I think we are fooked then!

Uhhh, no, he's not saying that at all. Especially since we've already beaten a team who are Prem year in, year out. He's basically saying Palace deserve a bit more respect. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I genuinely believe the FA/Premier League are trying to purposefully make VAR shit because they're ideologically opposed to it (It exposes how shit and unaccountable the Refs are). This game just confirms it for me. It's been utilised in so many sports to improve the game, and yet football is somehow too special for it to work despite it being the richest sport in the world...

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

7 minutes ago, sne said:

They could absolutely overturn the call after review, but since they've been instructed not to change the call on the field because it would put the refs in a bad light they are not doing so.

IF the whistle has gone first, then I really don't believe they can. If the whistle has gone the goalie is within his rights to not even dive. Active play ends with the whistle.

I'm not even going to comment on Friend's decision at the end.

Smith should have took Trez off at half time, it was clear that he was going to get sent off, poor decision to leave him on after the way that the ref was behaving.

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You really need to stop listening to whoever's telling you this.

On the Beeb Smith said there was nothing wrong with the goal, he originally thought the referee had given us a free kick, but he's baffled why it didn't stand and that he thought the yellow cards in the first half were very wrongly distributed. He stopped short of calling Friend what he is, but he looked like he really wanted to.

Yup, Incorrect information mate, my bad. 

• Like 1

Our midfield was too disjointed today. Grealish and Douglas were coming to the ball but McGinn seemed more interested in making forward runs than presenting for a pass. We also lacked patience on the ball and gave it away too cheaply. 

We really need someone with a bit of strength and power in that midfield. I'd be very surprised not to see Nakamba next match. 

11 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Listen I completely agree we were robbed by an awful awful ref. I echo everything said before me about the ludicrous lack of VAR. But...

I'm concerned. Our midfield has little to no creativity. Wesley may as well have been playing at another stadium today such was the appalling lack of service. Trezuguet is a worker but lacks any real quality at all.

This is going to be a long hard few months before much needed reinforcements in january.if we are outside the bottom three come January 1st I'd snap your hand off

Yep - I hope we some funds for the Jan window.

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

Must admit I was almost relaxed when the seen the ref disallowing the goal  - I was sure VAR would overrule it.

I don't fully understand the bit about the ref blowing the whistle - thats almost like saying when the ref makes a decision VAR can't get involved - so whats the point of it.

I have watched and re watched the video and Friends arms are at his side with whistle in hand as Jack passes to Lansbury,  it makes it even worse.

The missus is keeping away as I am still that furious over an hour later

Wow, I didn't watch it and thought surely it can't be as bad as everyone is saying, but **** me I think that is possibly the worst decision I have ever seen.  Just utterly flabbergasted.  The signs aren't good when there is a mix of absolute idiocy from our own players and utterly shit refereeing.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

IF the whistle has gone first, then I really don't believe they can. If the whistle has gone the goalie is within his rights to not even dive. Active play ends with the whistle.

But surely the dive is reviewed in that case and a penalty awarded ? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

I have watched and re watched the video and Friends arms are at his side with whistle in hand as Jack passes to Lansbury,  it makes it even worse.

THIS is the damning piece of evidence. Only when it was clear Villa had a one-on-one shot did Kevin Friend decide to blow for a dive by Grealish. Totally caught with his pants down. Nothing about this situation feels like an "honest mistake".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LancsVillan said:

It feels as though some refs have a preconception about some players, and Grealish is one of them.

We know from all sorts of psychological evidence that people can genuinely think they've seen something they expected to see, but which didn't happen.  Presumably the football authorities are aware of this, and have tried to address it in their training of refs, but it doesn't seem so.

Friend may have thought he went down easily (and people will quite properly have differing views on that), but Grealish wasn't looking at the ref and wasn't appealing, so a decision that he was cheating is pretty extreme.  It's hard to escape the conclusion that Friend was predisposed to see Grealish as likely to cheat by diving, and to bring that perspective to the match.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

But surely the dive is reviewed in that case and a penalty awarded ? 

Good point! Certainly looked to me like Cahill kicked Grealish (and VAR can surely review penalty incidents without it being referred). Just one more thing that stinks to high heaven.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts

Â