Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/19 at 22:59

Another weekend ruined by what can only be described as an abomination of a decision and overall poor refereeing.   The ref should now be demoted to the Championship or League One for the remainder of the season. 

We were pretty poor throughout today, but that doesn’t take away the fact that we should be coming away with a point.

VAR and the fourth official?  Why was the decision not looked at by the VAR team/person or whoever?   Also, I assume the fourth official could have stepped in here and asked that the decision was looked at?  What is the point of these officials if all they do is stop people leaving the technical area?   Joke. 

Today is a horrible day (football wise) and watching MOTD later will only annoy me even more, when you see the incident several times over and everyone agrees that we were robbed of a point.  

Finally, and I hate to bring this up right now, but imagine if we go down this season and we only needed a point to stay up?  Blimey.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think we are overdoing the passing the game alot of the players seem to plod around the pitch. We have zero pace.

We do that because we lack the players up front running into spaces and down channels ...... you see our midfielders getting heads up and realising there is nobody making runs to pass to. Wesley is a bit of a disaster so far but not sure we have many options other than Davis who was certainly better than Wesley today.

In the bournemouth game somehow biling didn't get sent off for about 5 yellow card offenses. Today Trez gets sent off for 2 offenses. We then have a perfect goal disallowed for a joke of a reason.  We played poor today but these refs are getting away with murder.

Most likely Kevin friend won't come out and apologise and will probably get to referee the Manchester derby as a reward. If I perform that poorly consistently at work I'm getting the sack.

Just seen it on the Sky highlights - the thing with it is, Grealish isn't looking for the referee at all, he's fully concentrated on watching Lansbury bury his excellent assist.

That''s what this goal has been disallowed for - an assist.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Smith >>>>>> "A good goal. Nobody can understand why it wasn’t given. I can’t see anything, he got a nudge by Zaha in the back, as he offloads it, Cahill gives him one as well. Simulation? no chance! It’s a perfectly good goal rubbed off today. I haven’t seen the referee yet. I’d probably get the usual waffle but we know it’s a poor decision. I believe any goal goes to VAR.

We started the game well, controlled it, but I thought we were very passive in our pressing. They finished the stronger. We righted that at half time. Trez gets a silly caution, that was one decision they got right today but there wasn’t many of them.

It left me baffled on the side, the first three fouls were against us and, within a 20-minute spell, we end up with four. Trez was a millisecond late. It was his first one. Officials were very card happy. I didn’t understand the decision making today.

If you’re Jack Grealish I’d be raging, he’s having his integrity questioned. Not only by officials here but in Stockwell Park as well.

I still have no idea it went to VAR.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-press-conference-qa-16845905

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Must admit I was almost relaxed when the seen the ref disallowing the goal  - I was sure VAR would overrule it.

I don't fully understand the bit about the ref blowing the whistle - thats almost like saying when the ref makes a decision VAR can't get involved - so whats the point of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So apparently according to R5 the VAR panel could have overturned the decision to blow for a dive (and by implication the subsequent goal, rather than reviewing the goal itself), but didn't see enough grounds to do so.

1 minute ago, peterms said:

So apparently according to R5 the VAR panel could have overturned the decision to blow for a dive (and by implication the subsequent goal, rather than reviewing the goal itself), but didn't see enough grounds to do so.

Seriously trying to be neutral - but if VAR is in - it has to be used all the time or not at all. Saying when its used really skews the playing field - how do we know who was on the panel that decided not too use it.

(although I actually think R5 are wrong on this one)

The key is Grealish’s reaction. He makes the pass, goes down, never takes his eye off the ball gets up immediately  and makes no attempt to appeal for a penalty. He has unfortunately got a reputation for going down easily but a professional referee in the premier league should not be influenced by opposition fans and media driven ‘reputations ‘

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

Infuriating. Someone's head has to be chopped off for them to overrule a refs decision.

Just now, smg said:

The key is Grealish’s reaction. He makes the pass, goes down, never takes his eye off the ball gets up immediately  and makes no attempt to appeal for a penalty. He has unfortunately got a reputation for going down easily but a professional referee in the premier league should not be influenced by opposition fans and media driven ‘reputations ‘

Some posted in the match thread that the foul count was even - yet villa had yellows to palaces zero. 

They could absolutely overturn the call after review, but since they've been instructed not to change the call on the field because it would put the refs in a bad light they are not doing so.

Listen I completely agree we were robbed by an awful awful ref. I echo everything said before me about the ludicrous lack of VAR. But...

I'm concerned. Our midfield has little to no creativity. Wesley may as well have been playing at another stadium today such was the appalling lack of service. Trezuguet is a worker but lacks any real quality at all.

This is going to be a long hard few months before much needed reinforcements in january.if we are outside the bottom three come January 1st I'd snap your hand off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Seriously trying to be neutral - but if VAR is in - it has to be used all the time or not at all. Saying when its used really skews the playing field - how do we know who was on the panel that decided not too use it.

(although I actually think R5 are wrong on this one)

If I understood them right, they were saying that the panel had looked at the incident and saw no grounds to overrule the ref.  That would mean that VAR was used, but that it was not announced to have been used.  Perhaps we will get some clarity soon on exactly what the panel did or didn't do.  I'm very unclear.

Â