Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/19 at 22:59

22 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Well done.  now if you have more time, look at Friend vs. Villa in previous matches.   Some on here said that he was the 4th that didn't see the stomp on Jack at Wembley.   Some on here said he was the referee that didn't see john terry smack the ball out of the air with his hand, in the penalty area at Stamford Bridge  (until this match, the worst (non) call I could remember in the Premier League).   I have even wondered if the link is Chelsea (protecting Cahill by calling a dive)

finally, I would like to see someone do a clip of zaha stamping on Taylors foot (and the free shot a CP player took on Jack after it)   then show the yellow card against Taylor.   Put both in slow motion and ask which deserved a caution.   Taylor received a caution for a much lesser offence, where Zaha -whose body language communicated "Oh crap, I stomped the hell out of his arch "- received a simple foul call.

99.9% of the time, referees try to be completely impartial, but if Kevin Friend was trying, he sucked at it.  It was the least impartial performance I have ever seen.   Mind you, we were awful and didn't play well enough for 90 minutes to "deserve" a point.  But we did "earn a point" (or should have).  And it's impossible to say how much fear of more cards and light calls impacted our play and our ability to be aggressive.  I will not forget this travesty for a long, long, time.  I don't think any Villan should.

I will happily fill the next two infuriating weeks with such research 😉 For now here's a little tidbit regarding Kouyate – Palace's designated enforcer for the day. He was FINALLY booked for a foul on Grealish after 71 minutes, but take a look at his blatant two-footed lunge on Jota straight after half-time (4:50 in these highlights) and RIGHT IN FRONT OF KEVIN FRIEND... No booking.

Bear in mind that Friend had just been going "card crazy" according to the co-commentator (is it Lee Hendrie?). It is simply NOT CREDIBLE that he does not go to his pocket for the Kouyate foul. An honest-but-card-happy ref would have had the yellow out in seconds! Yet this is what we are asked to believe. Take a look...

• Like 2

Can someone explain something to me. The link below is a Palace free kick. A Palace player is in line with our wall. Are there not new rules to the game in terms of that not being allowed and they have to keep distance? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Can someone explain something to me. The link below is a Palace free kick. A Palace player is in line with our wall. Are there not new rules to the game in terms of that not being allowed and they have to keep distance? 

The rules are below.................McCarthy looks to have a hand on SJM but he isn't in the wall so no rules look to have been broken.

When there are three or more players in a wall, no players from the opposing team can be in to distract and open a gap for their teammate to shoot through.

Opponents will now have to be a metre away from the wall.

20 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Palace, away, with their lack of goals at home lately should be reason enough for us to ride our momentum to be hopeful of getting some sort of result. And, but for Friend, we would have had a draw.

Just to be clear here - I don't expect my club to waltz into any stadium and play the opposition off the park and claim a win/three points every time. My point was, Palace have been goal shy for a while at Selhurst Park, and our early season jingoistic momentum should have seen us aiming for some sort of result... Didn't expect anything... just believed that we should be aiming for it in that particular fixture. It's Smith's narrative. It's the noise coming from the Club. 'Some sort of result' isn't me expecting/demanding a win. Away from home, anything better than a defeat will generally a bonus as I think our home form will be critical this season.

Look, the 'established premier club' trope is exactly what it is. An opportunity to build up the opposition and diminish our chances. Explain Blades point at Chelsea? Norwich's thumping win against the Toon? Our win against Everton? It's nothing from me about being arrogant. Results are possible for minnows like us - they don't all have to be wins either. Other than refereeing prattery away at Palace, and at home to Bournemouth (a game we had plenty of chances to fully turn round - or even lose more heavily), we could easily be on 7 or 8 points. But so far, it hasn't meant to be.

I do not believe I have overreacted to a result yet either. So my conscience is clear. I'm still behind the Club, the manager and the team. 

One can be disappointed, realistic and hopeful in equal measure without being 'called out' for being on one side of the fence or the other.  This board is starting to form its black and white alliances again like in the 'Lamberk' and 'Brouter' days.

• Like 1

Re. @KenjiOgiwara's point about the wall, the official IFAB laws App on my phone states: "When there is a defending 'wall' of at least 3 players, all attacking team players must be at least 1m from the 'wall'. IDFK (indirect free-kick) if they encroach".

So, yes, an attacking player on the end of the wall is now illegal. In this instance the lines were a little blurred by the fact McGinn himself was rather detached from the wall.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, zab6359 said:

The rules are below.................McCarthy looks to have a hand on SJM but he isn't in the wall so no rules look to have been broken.

When there are three or more players in a wall, no players from the opposing team can be in to distract and open a gap for their teammate to shoot through.

Opponents will now have to be a metre away from the wall.

he's not a meter away when he has a hand on the wall.

Some of the comments beneath the official Premier League Tweet of the result are hilarious.

Not many things get the entire football world to agree.

(All except BT Sport's go-to VAR expert, ex-ref Peter Walton, who maintains Grealish was caught cheating and that this whole affair is a well-earned feather in the cap for referees and their video assistants).

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts

I have watched the game back twice now. I only managed to watch the first 15 minutes and last 5 minutes live as it happend. 

- I thought we were pretty bright for the first 15 or 20 minutes. Controlled the ball and dictated play without creating too much. My issue was we kept looking for the diagonal and both Trez and Jota did well with what they were given but then lacked the final ball. I am not sure after using Wesley so much at Everton why we chose to ignore him for most of the first half.

- After this period we were awful. Palace created more and wanted it more. However, I could visibly see how pissed off we were with the yellow cards, especially Grealish and McGinn. It shouldn't but I think it seriously impacted our players. 

- Second half - again we controlled the first 10 minutes or so but then a silly challenge by Trez ruined all that good work.

- Until Davis came on we were backs against the wall and it looked like a matter of time. I thought it was a really good positive change by Smith and we managed to get hold of the ball more and tried to make something happen without threatning. If anything Palace scored against the run of play slightly as Grealish was beginning to get more of the ball. I actually think Grealish played really well and was probably our only stand out player along with Heaton.

- They then scored and we faltered a bit for 10 minutes. Then we tried again for the last 10 minutes but didn't really do anything. What a great run by Grealish at the end and a travesty it wasn't rewarded with an assist and a goal for Lansbury.

The referred ruined the game both in terms of the goal and also the needless yellow cards which impacted our players. I know everyone makes mistakes but he definitely had an agenda that day. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, omariqy said:

I have watched the game back twice now. I only managed to watch the first 15 minutes and last 5 minutes live as it happend. 

- I thought we were pretty bright for the first 15 or 20 minutes. Controlled the ball and dictated play without creating too much. My issue was we kept looking for the diagonal and both Trez and Jota did well with what they were given but then lacked the final ball. I am not sure after using Wesley so much at Everton why we chose to ignore him for most of the first half.

- After this period we were awful. Palace created more and wanted it more. However, I could visibly see how pissed off we were with the yellow cards, especially Grealish and McGinn. It shouldn't but I think it seriously impacted our players. 

- Second half - again we controlled the first 10 minutes or so but then a silly challenge by Trez ruined all that good work.

- Until Davis came on we were backs against the wall and it looked like a matter of time. I thought it was a really good positive change by Smith and we managed to get hold of the ball more and tried to make something happen without threatning. If anything Palace scored against the run of play slightly as Grealish was beginning to get more of the ball. I actually think Grealish played really well and was probably our only stand out player along with Heaton.

- They then scored and we faltered a bit for 10 minutes. Then we tried again for the last 10 minutes but didn't really do anything. What a great run by Grealish at the end and a travesty it wasn't rewarded with an assist and a goal for Lansbury.

The referred ruined the game both in terms of the goal and also the needless yellow cards which impacted our players. I know everyone makes mistakes but he definitely had an agenda that day. 

Pretty much spot on. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, omariqy said:

where did you watch it back?  any chance of a link please?

Â