Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/19 at 22:59

2 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Oh, you are kidding me. This gets more ridiculous. A phantom pre-goal whistle on the MOTD coverage, while Gary Lineker has a chuckle that Kevin Friend somehow managed to do it "without his hands ever leaving his side". What did I say earlier? Lies within lies within lies.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

At the time I thought the ref had blown to give us a penalty .. MOTD seems to suggest that noise wasn’t the ref blowing his whistle ... the plot thickens

Of course it was the referee's whistle, what are you suggesting happened? Someone in the crowd whistled and the ref just went along with it? Is there a grassy knoll nearby? :lol:

You can't see the ref blow the whistle, but that's because he's cut out of the shot for a couple of seconds as the ball is laid off to Lansbury. The camera man must have been in on it as well.

I suggest you watch the behind-goal replay MOTD provided once again and watch his arms very carefully. Ask yourself if that whistle went to and from Kevin Friend's mouth in the 0.3 seconds for which he was out of shot. If you think it did, that's fine. I am struggling to see how. I find tired conspiracy theory tropes very boring, by the way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Of course it was the referee's whistle, what are you suggesting happened? Someone in the crowd whistled and the ref just went along with it? Is there a grassy knoll nearby? :lol:

I already said I heard the whistle and thought the ref had blown to give us a pen 

The whistle blows as Lansbury strikes the ball ...If you watch MOTD and the view they offer at that exact point Friends hands are nowhere near his mouth , Lineaker even jokes about it ...I guess he was running with the whistle in his mouth getting ready to blow for full time hence why he was able to blow so quickly ... had the ref had to take time to get his whistle to his mouth he would presumably have blown after we scored and VAR could have been used ?

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

I suggest you watch the behind-goal replay MOTD provided once again and watch his arms very carefully. Ask yourself if that whistle went to and from Kevin Friend's mouth in the 0.3 seconds for which he was out of shot. If you think it did, that's fine. I am struggling to see how. I find tired conspiracy theory tropes very boring, by the way.

So what do you think the clearly audible whistling noise was, that immediately preceded the ref booking Grealish? 

5 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Then again, on viewing it for the 10th time I think I mistook his microphone for his whistle. 

The whistle is wrapped around his wrist, but both shots cut away for a second or two

Referees from beginners on up are taught not to run with the whistle in your mouth.  It’s too easy to blow an inadvertent whistle, which might be a plausible explanation for the whole thing, except I’m pretty sure friend has attended at least one instructional clinic and his use of cards was heavily one sided all match long.   It’s not just that one call at the end I’m mad about.  Context matters.  

It’s all Lamberts fault .. he complained about Friend to referring officials after his performance when he helped Chelsea beat us with his ineptness 

also turns out Friend was the very same 4th official who missed the stamp on Grealish in the Fulham play off final

He does seem to have a habit of bad performances 

• Like 1

So the official explanation can only be that the whistle went to and from his mouth in the time he was out of shot? I'm sitting here watching it again and again and really struggling with that, but I won't bang on about it any more.

On another note, the way Cahill (was) spun round after colliding knees / thighs with Jack suggested clear contact.

Edit: @Davkaus you were right. Friend can be seen blowing his whistle at the key moment in literally the first couple of seconds of this Vlog. I apologise for being grouchy earlier. Night all.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 1

Just ring the FA up and request he dosen't ref us again for the rest of the season. Only tthing we can do to limit the damage.

I remember in that run of games Mark Halsley give terrible decisions against us he didn't ref us for a long while. Also think Dowd didn't ref us for a year after the cup final decision.

• Like 1

I feel you are letting this shit call distract you from todays performance. Villa were not at their best against a mediocre Crystal Palace. Hopefully the International break will give Dean Smith time to

get the players on the same page. 

The ref was embarassing you could tell early on we were going to get nothing, however we were really off the pace today far far to many mistakes if we play like that away from home for the rest of the season we will take some hammerings off the better sides and our home form will need to be top draw if we want to stay in this league.

Jack needs to learn to stay on his feet more and stop looking for the foul, he does get a lot of attention and fouled but if he gets labelled a diver we are knackered he'll get nothing from refs.

Well bottom three going into the international break, we deserved to lose that one, lets move on!

52 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Potentially dumb question from a relatively new football fan... is there any actual change that could come from Villa filing a complaint? Besides an “apology” from the PL or FA

Nope...  If they admit that their highly trained and extremely capable unbiased referees make mistakes, it will open up all sorts of problems for them in the future.  If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if Deano get's some sort of warning from the FA after his comments post match.  

TBH, the Premier League refs are all biased and nothing has been done against them over the years.

• Mike Dean has been shown openly celebrating Spurs goals in games he's ref'd for them and heavily biased against Arsenal in games he's overseen for them over the years.  Arsenal have a shockingly low win percentage in the games he has ref'd.
  • Mark Clattenberg is a suspected Liverpool fan and didn't ref Everton games for something like 6 seasons because he got death threats from their fans after a series of awful biased decisions against them..  The two Manc clubs also have had several questionable incidents with him over the years too.  
  • I remember reading something about Howard Webb when he retired reffed something like 24 Liverpool games over the years and they only won 4-5 of them.  Liverpool fans think he's a Man United fan.
  • Every time Chris Foy would ref a Chelsea match, it was a given that one of their players would be red carded.  Something like he handed out 10 red cards in 11 games against Chelsea.

7 hours ago, thunderball said:

My only hope is “bad luck” doesn’t dog this campaign, as it’s been an all too familiar visitor so far.....

There's a Norwegian expression that goes something like "good teams are lucky". I suspect you can draw that the other way as well. We've had some bad luck, but it's because we've been shite at football for almost a decade. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â