Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sheepyvillian

Dean Saunders

Recommended Posts

Poor old Dean, in the pen. 10 months for refusing a breath specimen. Gutted for him, but you can't condone drink driving. On the bright side, at least he'll be first pick for the xmas, 5 a side competition. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inevitably referred to on the BBC sport site as "Ex-Liverpool striker Dean Saunders".  Grrrr.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Deano,  still beating the off-side.

It'll probably go to VAR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He predicted Everton would go down this year.

But he’s beaten them to it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was 10 weeks rather than 10 months. 

The normal range for that offence is 12 to 26 weeks if its seen to be the most serious category. The judge said that he was arrogant.  That's guaranteed to get a sentence increased. I am guessing he'll be deeply regretful and full of humility at the appeal. If he's not I expect him to be sentenced to the maximum possible sentence. He'll be made to become the next Blues manager. 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

It was 10 weeks rather than 10 months. 

The normal range for that offence is 12 to 26 weeks if its seen to be the most serious category. The judge said that he was arrogant.  That's guaranteed to get a sentence increased. I am guessing he'll be deeply regretful and full of humility at the appeal. If he's not I expect him to be sentenced to the maximum possible sentence. He'll be made to become the next Blues manager. 

 

It's an odd feature of our criminal justice system that sentences are influenced by the ability and willingness of defendants to be coached by their lawyers in what attitude to display and how to display it, and to perform accordingly.  Like a throwback to a more simple society, where you could imagine a public display of contrition by someone who had wronged a small community, performed in front of them like a personal apology, might be helpful in restoring relations and drawing a line under an offence, but not really relevant in a much more impersonal system.

Currently, it's a sham, and benefits hypocrites and liars, and actors, at the expense of those who are less able to feign regret.

Although if someone displays contempt for the process, it also seems reasonable to see that as an aggravating factor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All offences have a theoretical maximum and minimum sentence. But there are sentencing guidelines that outline the "typical" sentence. It then just becomes a calculation.  For instance if you plead guilty at the first opportunity you get a reduction. If you plead guilty just before the trial you get a lesser reduction. 

I agree that this system benefits the hypocrites and the liars. But I am a big believer in the saying that it's better for 99 guilty people to walk free than 1 innocent person to be wrongly convicted. Therefore it follows that it's better for 99 liars to get an advantage that 1 truly regretful person not get an advantage. 

The funniest thing I ever saw in court was a witness who was asked if they promised to tell the truth and answered "no". That never happens. He thought he was hilarious. The judge disagree. A day in the cells made him realise he wasn't so damn funny. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

All offences have a theoretical maximum and minimum sentence. But there are sentencing guidelines that outline the "typical" sentence. It then just becomes a calculation.  For instance if you plead guilty at the first opportunity you get a reduction. If you plead guilty just before the trial you get a lesser reduction. 

I agree that this system benefits the hypocrites and the liars. But I am a big believer in the saying that it's better for 99 guilty people to walk free than 1 innocent person to be wrongly convicted. Therefore it follows that it's better for 99 liars to get an advantage that 1 truly regretful person not get an advantage. 

The funniest thing I ever saw in court was a witness who was asked if they promised to tell the truth and answered "no". That never happens. He thought he was hilarious. The judge disagree. A day in the cells made him realise he wasn't so damn funny. 

 

Just a wild guess,  was it this bloke ?

Image result for no no no vicar of dibley

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's an ex-player and fondly remembered for his time here but he's a massive dick, desperately spouting shit on talksport or SSN in an attempt to generate social media buzz and stay relevant when he's increasingly shown that he's not, hopefully this is the end of his career but seeing as talksport don't really care about boozing probably not

saw a fair few on social media defending him, steve stride saying that's not the deano he knows in relation to the judge's arrogant comments, that's very much the way he comes across in the media, arrogant smug prick

I didn't like him even before this charge, like him less now

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a bit before my time, so I never had the respect for him that older fans have. He's always just been that ill-informed prick from the radio for me, can't stand the bloke.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll add that my thoughts above were ingrained into me by my driving instructor.  He cancelled a few appointments due to a heavy cold, acknowledging that he wasn't fit to drive.  Not that he wasn't fit in the eye of the law, but wasn't fit to be a driver (and instructor) in his opinion.  Obviously, Saunders is a different case but it again goes to show that if you're a fit and a capable driver, it isn't yourself that you should be worried about but the other drivers. 

Idiots who think they can get away with it knowing they are unfit to drive can ruin lives.  

Edited by trekka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2019 at 09:13, Davkaus said:

He's a bit before my time, so I never had the respect for him that older fans have. He's always just been that ill-informed prick from the radio for me, can't stand the bloke.

In his defense,  100% effort every game without fail.  My memories are what they did for the Villa as players he was is up there in players I have seen live. Most ex-players, on the radio have to be abrasive or nobody remembers you.  They are not trained or fit to be on the radio but what can you do ? E.G Alan Brazil,  hates the Villa more than any club in the world.  He should not have a public platform ever but he has done for 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2019 at 10:03, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

In his defense,  100% effort every game without fail.  My memories are what they did for the Villa as players he was is up there in players I have seen live. Most ex-players, on the radio have to be abrasive or nobody remembers you.  They are not trained or fit to be on the radio but what can you do ? E.G Alan Brazil,  hates the Villa more than any club in the world.  He should not have a public platform ever but he has done for 20 years.

Didnt Alan Brazil play in the Ipswich team we beat to the title? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW Saunders is one of the biggest rocket polishers in the media and I am saying this as a huge fan when he played. His Clough story was so cringy and offensive not to mention made up. 

He is also hammered in this video. Has had at least 6-8 pints

Edited by Zatman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Didnt Alan Brazil play in the Ipswich team we beat to the title? 

Correct. They beat us twice I think.i was at the home game.  His logic is they were robbed and they  would have beaten bayern. Bitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zatman said:

His Clough story was so cringy and offensive not to mention made up. 

What’s his Clough story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â