Cameron Archer

Zatman

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

What do we think? Keep him around the first team squad until January or Loan him out now hopefully to a League 1 side. I'd worry about going to a Championship side where he wouldn't get enough game time or would be in a relegation scrap

thing is as much as competitive football massively helps development, we often forget what training with the first team day in day out does. imagine what sharing the pitch with danny ings every day would do for his development, not to mention the amazing facilities we have to assist with his strength and conditioning.

keep him i say

• Like 2

Brilliant performance. The second goal, chipping it with just enough backspin to get it under the bar. That's the sort of finish you'd see from Messi. His movement was very good, his link up play was excellent and his finishing was top class.

Wow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

thing is as much as competitive football massively helps development, we often forget what training with the first team day in day out does. imagine what sharing the pitch with danny ings every day would do for his development, not to mention the amazing facilities we have to assist with his strength and conditioning.

keep him i say

Yep, and he's another one (along with Caleb) who has already had a spell of "men's football" at Solihull Moors last season. Besides, he's just elevated himself to 3rd in line striker (when the first 2 might both be starters) after that performance alone.

• Like 2

First time I have seen him play and very impressed, not only with his MOTM performance but the way he spoke after the game, looks to have his head screwed on right and another one of our young crop that's got great potential.

Not knocking Keinan Davis, as I am a fan of him in terms of his hold up play, strength, bringing others into the game but I couldn't imagine him scoring the 3 goals that Archer scored last night, they were real quality finishes, reminded me of a young Michael Owen.

The first was easy enough but in the right place at the right time and gave the keeper absolutely no chance, the second one he made look a lot easier than it was but it was an exquisite chip but my fav was actually the third - I loved how he calmly side footed it into the far bottom corner, I have seen so many players that would have just lashed at that but that finish showed me that he's a natural finisher and the kid with a bit of luck and hard work can do very well in the game.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

That's put him ahead of Wesley and Davis in the pecking order for me.

Well, that's not difficult. Wesley is going out on loan and Davis is injured till October.

Cameron is almost 20 now, not much point keeping him in U23s anymore. Either loan him out to League 1/2 or integrate with the senior squad (although he won't see much game time in this case)

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

Reminded me of Watkins and what a finisher ! 

Exactly my thoughts, the way he hustled for the ball and was able to run the channels just as well as being the focal point was very Watkins-esque. I could see both Ings and Watkins being great mentors for him and given we are going to need more strikers if we play two up top I think keeping him around will be far better for his development than on loan as he is similar enough to Watkins he would suit the system.

Like many others this was a name I wasn't expecting much of as had put him down as one of the last batch of the pre-NSWE youngsters. Seemingly Shakespeare and the staff also were surprised, he has gone from strength to strength from Moors loan to impressing staff at a pre-season tour as well as being consistent for the u23s.

Fair play to the kid for forcing through, - looks like he has an elite mentality, even after the hattrick seemed completely unfazed and already thinking about his next goal!

• Like 1

Games like this for our youngsters make me question why Championship teams like Derby (with no money) or league 1 teams aren't smashing our doors down trying to load our gifted youngsters.

He was awesome last night and even a loan until January could be a great thing, and review it in Jan and if we're going well in the Prem let them keep them until summer. 

Just seems like such a missed opportunity - We know from experience you don't really get to Prem football unless you've done stints at other clubs before getting into the first team - often it's the making of players.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Games like this for our youngsters make me question why Championship teams like Derby (with no money) or league 1 teams aren't smashing our doors down trying to load our gifted youngsters.

He was awesome last night and even a loan until January could be a great thing, and review it in Jan and if we're going well in the Prem let them keep them until summer. 

Just seems like such a missed opportunity - We know from experience you don't really get to Prem football unless you've done stints at other clubs before getting into the first team - often it's the making of players.  

I expect we'll get a couple of calls off of the back of last night. Maybe not now but when the loan window is open and transfer window shut.

Before last night the lad had 6 Goals for Solihull Moors, so you can see why they may be put off had they not been able to get down to Solihull Moors to watch him play. 

For the rest, I think the club have done a great job. Jacob Ramsey, Carney and JPB getting first team games. Barry, Kessler, Raikhy, Young, Tyreik Wright and Finn Azaz all on loan with first team opportunities in the EFL. That's quite a lot of opportunities for our youngsters.

I think we'll also see something for Bogarde.

Club are doing well getting them games. They are also all 18 or 19 except Azaz. There aren't going to be tens of clubs wanting to rely on first team opportunities for teenagers in the Championship or League One. some stand out youth players, yeah absolutely but think we'd be pushing it to say that loads more of our guys should be getting first team games

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

This lad has basically locked the door behind Wesley on his way out. Whether he can make it for us long term is up for debate, but he's shown he's more than capable of taking the Wesley/Davis role in back up of the two main strikers.

Also I know his goalscoring for Solihull Moors wasn't great, but that requires context. He may have had little to no service there, or at least, not the right type. All three of his goals were set up by sliding or crossing directly in to his path. If they didn't do that he may not have had many decent chances, but in a side like ours last night, where he does get service, he's shown he's a more than capable finisher.

Edited by RichiBoi11

Surprised by how well he played last night, it was only against Barrow but he looks lightning quick and took his goals really well especially the 2nd.

Reckon a loan spell at a Championship or League 1 team would be ideal to see if he's got what it takes, but we may well keep him around. 

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Surprised by how well he played last night, it was only against Barrow but he looks lightning quick and took his goals really well especially the 2nd.

Reckon a loan spell at a Championship or League 1 team would be ideal to see if he's got what it takes, but we may well keep him around. 

Yeah with Wesley going out on loan and Davis injured I think he'll be kept around until at least January as backup for the first team.

• Like 1

Â