Cameron Archer

Zatman

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Chelsea do it all the time! you know what the future at villa looks like that only the crème de la crème of talent rises to our first team. 

Cream Of The Crop Macho Man GIFs | Tenor

How do you expect them to do that if you send them out of loan indefinitely?

• Like 1

He's proven himself in the Championship. With 5 subs allowed next season, he should be staying with us. The lad has a knack for finding space and hitting first time finishes.

His tail is up, our current strikers haven't been firing on all cylinders. It's the perfect time for him to start getting more game time. 

• Like 3

Difficult decision, I don't think he will get a chance here if he stays , not judging on last season. 

On the balance of probability I would loan him out to a championship team who need a striker and would make assurances on him playing. We could structure a deal were we pay his wages if he starts , if he doesn't then they pay them. 

He’s done all he can as a youngster, to be given the chance to be integrated into the first team fold as far as I can see. Proven he can do it, done more than you could realistically hope for in terms of playing week in week out in a tough league and producing the goods. Scored some quality goals for both Villa & PNE; Id love nothing more than to see him smash it preseason and then get given a good go in the PL. Hope Gerrard puts his faith in him because he really could be the next big thing to come out of the academy. Just seems the type who will settle in and score goals at any level. 

• Like 4

Here's a mad idea. Sell him for £7-8m with a £15-£18m buy back. Or something along those lines. 

Immediately helps with FFP (especially as he's homegrown) and we can just buy him back in 2 years time if he goes on to be successful. It's a trend you're seeing with all the big clubs at the moment. Look at what Chelsea did with Livramento - he was far and away one of their best youngsters, but they did what they did to probably help them spend more money on Lukaku/Havertz etc. (not exactly gone well). 

I'm convinced these types of deals are just a way to fiddle the books anyway and everyone benefits.

Pelters welcome. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Here's a mad idea. Sell him for £7-8m with a £15-£18m buy back. Or something along those lines. 

Immediately helps with FFP (especially as he's homegrown) and we can just buy him back in 2 years time if he goes on to be successful. It's a trend you're seeing with all the big clubs at the moment. Look at what Chelsea did with Livramento - he was far and away one of their best youngsters, but they did what they did to probably help them spend more money on Lukaku/Havertz etc. (not exactly gone well). 

I'm convinced these types of deals are just a way to fiddle the books anyway and everyone benefits.

Pelters welcome. 

It’s not a bad shout 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863uwi1ef284dkglqgml

nice thinking mr Inho 

I think we’ll keep him around initially. With the increase to the number of subs and Gerrard targeting longer runs in the domestic cup competitions, he should get minutes.

If we get dumped out of the cups early on again, I think we’ll consider loaning him out.

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Pelters welcome. 

Not a bad idea... can't see many issues with it?

Assumes we're buying someone older to fill the gap for a couple of years alongside Ings and Watkins though, if we stick with two up top.

I said in the transfer window thread though, I'd like us to go the two 10's route so alternating Ings and Watkins as the lone striker based on form, with Archer as backup/alternative and used in cups. Gets him some starts, plenty of sub appearances now we have 5 subs, and means he experiences our way of playing.

The problem for me is simple, we sell him to say preston for £8m with a buy back clause, he spends 3 years there scores bags of goals, enough goals to get them promoted and we want him back 

Where are we in that scenario? Still 14th, 10th, 8th, 4th?

Why would he come back? 

I think the theory of buy back clauses works due to the disparity between the clubs remaining, if Man City had come back for Luiz of course he'd have jumped at the chance to join them, Real Madrid and Barca can do them because of course the players will go back - villa though? What will we actually be to come back to?

We sold him and effectively rejected him rather than give him his chance and after he's put the hard work in and been rewarded by another club we can just take him back? I'm not sure he'd accept if I'm honest, our stature isn't big enough 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Archer has progressed so quickly I have a feeling he’d be fine at a premier league club next season. I’d even go out and say Archer could score more goals than Watkins. If he had the same game time 

That's a big claim - Archer got 7 in 20 in the Championship last season, Watkins got 11 in 35 in the Premier League.

I like Archer and he's gone from being a player with potentially no future in the game to a striker with a potential future in the top two divisions of English football in really quick time - but there's a long way to go.

I don't know if he's as good as some think. 12 months ago he'd just come back from an average loan at Solihull Moors and I wouldn't have blinked if he'd been let go by the club. 

He seems to have the lot but the mental side of the game is huge too and it would be interested to see if he can maintain it over a season, he's played so little professional football there's a danger of him being a flash in the pan and if there's funds available for another striker that Gerrard wants, I think he'd go for that player over risking it with Archer.

If he'd had the career he's had so far and been decent at Preston this season, I don't think his name would be coming up in conversations for us to sign him this summer, even on a free. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Pelters welcome. 

In an ideal world this would be perfect, but players are infected by greedy in most cases terrible vermin that we call football agents, it would be a huge mistake to allow a player to have complete control

Â