Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

**** the cup play the untried fringe players, We leave for Palace away on Friday AM and that is much more important that everyone is on the coach.

Why risk your best players and jeopardise your strongest line up for upcoming Premier league game. 

• Like 3

Steer

Guilbert Engels Konsa Targett

Nakamba

Hourihane Lansbury 

Jota Wesley El Ghazi

Engels for the consistency but would be happy with Hause in there too. Would also be fine with Davis in for our Wes.

Edited by chappy

The Palace game is far more important than this. Any second string (even if we consider them second string) should be more than good enough to get a result here:

Steer

Guilbert    Konsa    Hause    Targett

Marvelous

Lansbury         Hourihane

Trez                                            El Ghazi                              

Kodjia/Davis

I would go Kodj (if fit), but Davis comes in if not.  

Edit: After reading some earlier comments, I don't believe it would disrespecting the cup or Crewe to put the above team out.  Probably cost best part of £80m plus. 

Edited by ferguson1

Steer, Guilbert, Konsa, Engels, Targett, Dougie, Hourihane, Lansbury, Jota, Wesley, Trez.

Jack, SJM, AEG on the bench in case of disaster.  Mings completely rested.

Gives new boys more match time.  Wesley a chance to build confidence.  See what Targett & Trez can do, and on the other side Guilbert/Jota gets another run out together. No-one has played too much and they are all young, so should have plenty in the tank.

I think we’ll see everyone who hasn’t had much game time so far.

Steer, Konsa, Hause, Targett, Lansbury, Nakamba and Davis for sure.

Kodjia if he’s fit and I’d imagine Hourihane will play too. We don’t have many options on the wing so be interesting to see who plays there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

**** the cup play the untried fringe players, We leave for Palace away on Friday AM and that is much more important that everyone is on the coach.

Why risk your best players and jeopardise your strongest line up for upcoming Premier league game. 

Why jeopardize getting knocked out of the League Cup early with a poor performance from a fringe side.

Momentum is key at the moment, a win tonight will put is in good stead for Saturday.

We have the chance to rest players and give some players their first starts of the season, but it should be done on a 50/50 basis for continuity.

**** the cup is a disrespectful attitude to the travelling support. I for one will not be happy if I turn up to the game tonight and the players had that attitude. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Why jeopardize getting knocked out of the League Cup early with a poor performance from a fringe side.

Momentum is key at the moment, a win tonight will put is in good stead for Saturday.

We have the chance to rest players and give some players their first starts of the season, but it should be done on a 50/50 basis for continuity.

**** the cup is a disrespectful attitude to the travelling support. I for one will not be happy if I turn up to the game tonight and the players had that attitude. 

Ok **** the Premier league, Let's play a full strength team and risk fatigue, suspensions and injuries for a winnable game at Place away in a few days time. 

I loved playing 9 games a week anyway 😂

• Haha 1

Reading many of the comments on here it seems that it's pretty divided on whether we go with a full strength side (and take the competition seriously) or we make wholesale changes (and effectively go out with a whimper!).

I really do not believe, under this current regime, that we will take this game lightly whether we make the changes or not - I may have to come back on here later tonight and eat my words, but I will be amazed if our "second string" do not get the job done if that's the route that Smith takes.

I think we are all in agreement the Premier league takes priority, but don't for one minute think that we can't also have a good cup run, because no doubt about it we can.

What I like about our squad at the moment is that there is good competition in each position (the way it should be) and not a "huge" amount of difference in terms of quality of performers should we alternate the starting eleven.

I personally feel that picking up any injuries / suspensions to real key players (basically our spine) is, after the result, the most important thing tonight and also I feel that by not selecting the fringe players (as they currently are) it sends out the wrong signal to them and could bring disharmony to part of the group.

So with all that said, (if all fit) I would go with Steer, Elmo, Konsa, Hause, Targett, El Ghazi, Nakamba, Hourihane, Lansbury,  Kodjia, and Davis.

Prediction 1-3.

26 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Ok **** the Premier league, Let's play a full strength team and risk fatigue, suspensions and injuries for a winnable game at Place away in a few days time. 

I loved playing 9 games a week anyway 😂

So we should never try again in the cup competitions?

We were able to play midweek games last season, there's no reason why we can't now.

13 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

So we should never try again in the cup competitions?

We were able to play midweek games last season, there's no reason why we can't now.

I don't think anyone has said this, I think some people just think we should have enough quality with our so called "second string" to get the job done against a league two side.

Whatever side we put out I would hope and expect 100% commitment.

• Like 1

Fairly certain there will be new faces to see. DS will want to see how they do against another team not in a friendly

Should be a win for Villa and if he picks fringe players, they will still be worth more than Crewe's entire team 

Dont think they have had a top player since we brought Platty 

easy win so lets the new guys 

On 24/08/2019 at 04:24, TheMightyVillans said:

Rest them all.

Steer

Elmo       Konsa    Hause    Targett

Marvelous

Lansbury         Hourihane

El ghazi                                      Kodjia

Davis

Solid back up team. Should get job done

yep - this'll do for me