Steer

Elmo       Konsa    Hause    Targett

Marvelous

Lansbury         Hourihane

El ghazi                                      Kodjia

Davis

Solid back up team. Should get job done

Agree.

I also hope we stay in this competition. Our team needs more football right now not less.

Difficult one.

Do you play the defence you want to start on saturday to build a bit of continuity meaning as pointed out, the subs and ones not in the 1st 11 dont get a sniff and the risk of injury ?

Same with midfield and forward.

Playing a much changed team also isnt fair on the players as they wont play the same game they would have if a stronger 1st 11 so while having their chance to shine, it isnt the same as 1 or 2 players slotting into the starting line up.

Tricky one really

I want us to win, and I also want us to have a competitive squad. Making 3/4 changes should be perfectly feasible without compromising the squad's ability to play together. They've been training together since July after all.

Steer, Elmo, Konsa, Engels, Targett, Nakamba, Lansbury, Hourihane, El Ghazi, Davis, Wesley. 

That maintains regular centre back and striker, with hitherto regulars Elmo, Steer, Hourihane and El Ghazi, with fresh berths only for Konsa, Targett, Nakamba and Lansbury. The team is strong, with changes possible if we start well. 

20 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree.

I also hope we stay in this competition. Our team needs more football right now not less.

we only have 38 games so I agree. We want to be successful. Even say 3 games in each cup competition only gives us 44 games over the season. Very easy to manage and the reason we brought in enough players to build a squad. We build momentum by the players playing together more as well, and winning does give confidence. I can never understand anytime a fan wants us to go out of a competition. Unless the situation is dire with injuries and at a point of the season where we are struggling, then we should embrace the extra games. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

I'd be very surprised if we don't see the likes of Steer, Targett, Konsa, Hause, Hourihane, Marvelous, Lansbury, Davis, and Kodjia if fit, all starting to tomorrow. Over the course of the season we're going to need them all to be good enough to perform in the Premier league, so why we'd be scared of playing them against Crewe a league two side, in the league cup I'm not sure, the reason we spent all the money in the summer is so that we have a strong squad. They all need game time, and match practice as well, as much as the players who've already featured in the Premier league.

• Like 1

Mildly surprised that some people are calling for Deano to start anything other than a heavily rotated squad. I do see merit to the idea that our new starting XI need more time to gel, although I think for me the risk of injury outweighs the 90 extra minutes of game time. I would vote to sit the vast majority of our starters.

If the hope is that our backup XI are capable of satisfactorily stepping in and playing a role in a Premier League match for any starter who has picked up an injury, we should be capable of beating a League 2 side with a rotated squad in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyone know anything about Crewe?

Nope.

Edited by AJ
Trying to be helpful, but realised I was posting on poster.
  • Haha 1

On 24/08/2019 at 11:39, Jareth said:

We just came from a league that often plays three games in 7 days, I think we should keep the team together and go for it. 

Regardless, playing 3 games in 7 days provably increases injury risk, and Premier League games are more physically intense.

I think we should rest our most irreplaceable players. Give Mings a proper chance to recover from his groin problem. Give Grealish and McGinn 45 mins max. Wesley on the bench and only used if we need an impact late in the game.

The great strength of our squad is that in many positions we have at least two evenly matched matched players competing for a place, so it's not that much of a downgrade to put out the second string. I also think players like Kodjia and Hourihane are always useful against this level of opposition.

55 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Regardless, playing 3 games in 7 days provably increases injury risk, and Premier League games are more physically intense.

I think we should rest our most irreplaceable players. Give Mings a proper chance to recover from his groin problem. Give Grealish and McGinn 45 mins max. Wesley on the bench and only used if we need an impact late in the game.

The great strength of our squad is that in many positions we have at least two evenly matched matched players competing for a place, so it's not that much of a downgrade to put out the second string. I also think players like Kodjia and Hourihane are always useful against this level of opposition.

We would have been confident of a win with what would have been first teamers in Hourihane, Kodjia etc if we were still in the Championship.

Then again we've lost more cup games than I can count to lower league teams recently so you never know.

I don't know what Smith will do - one of the good things about our transfer market dealings this summer is that we have tried to make it so that there are two players competing for each place - I don't remember us ever having this before.

My first thought would be who am I going to rest because of injuries:

Mings - resting because of his warm up injury before Everton - therefore bring in Hause.

Grealish - rest because of the injury he got last season - bring in Nakamba ro the DM spot and move Luiz to the more advanced position alongside McGinn.

Next I would wonder about LB should I drop Taylor in our next PL game for not contributing enough going forwards. But it also depends on how hard Targett has been trying in practice. Targett didn't rip up any trees in preseason and didn't look full of running. Has he got himself fitter? If so I might put him in if not I would keep Taylor in.

For RB I would keep Guilbert and that means I would also play Jota in front of him. I would like them both to further work on their partnership together.

Other CB position - do I go for continuity by keeping Engels - seems less important if Mings is not playing - I think I would play Konsa and see if we could play a higher backline. Engels has played well and I like him but his lack of pace means that we play a much deeper backline than I think Smith wants to. I think this is partly responsible for the midfield being overrun later in games.

For the keeper I would play Heaton as I want him to keep working on his distribution and the system that Villa play. Bit harsh on Steer but that is football.

For LW I would play El Ghazi ahead of Trez as a reward for his Everton cameo.

Up front I would play Wesley to see if he can't get some more goals for his confidence. Tempted to bring on Davis at the 60/70 min mark though so as not to overwork Wesley and also to see if Davis can get the goals he needs if he is to develop as a player. Kodjia I wouldn't risk because of his ankle.

so the team would be:

Heaton

Guilbert      Konsa     Hause    Taylor / Targett

Nakamba

Jota         Luiz            McGinn            El Ghazi

Wesley

The players that played against Everton that I would want to play tonight are:

Guilbert - He's only played one game, could do with some more game time.

Engels - A bit of continuity at the back and can get used to playing alongside Guilbert.

Grealish - Hasn't been his usual best, this game gives him the chance to get his confidence back up.

Jota - He's only played one game, could do with some more game time.

El Ghazi - Rested last game, can easily play 90 minutes.

Wesley - Got his first goal, could do with a few more for confidence.

We can play the likes of Konsa, Targett, Nakamba etc around the core of the team whilst resting Mings, McGinn, Trezeguet, Taylor.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

By rotating everyone you are disrespecting the cup and treating it like a pre season game. I find it appalling.

Same starting XI which started against Everton except Nakamba, Elmo and El Ghazi in.

100% agree,  a few here and there at most,  keep it going.