Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That second XI team that was posted at the start of the thread was perfect, and I hope we go with something like that. Playing three games in a week is a disadvantage in the PL, hence why europa league teams often struggle, and getting a result against Palace is much more important. Also love the people in this thread suggesting that the Cup is 'there for the taking' when City take it seriously and have won it easily the last two seasons. 

Anything's possible in the cup. There was a time where City were similarly unstoppable and took the cup seriously and came up against a Paul Lambert Villa team that beat them 4-2 (before being beaten by Bradford City but you get my point :lol: )

2 hours ago, striker said:

Very rarely have I seen a second string Villa side in cup games motivated to impress anyone.

I would think a real game is a better time to impress than training, but I might be wrong of course.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Rest McGinn, but play Grealish . 

Both on the bench hopefully.

Mings not in squad.

Steer needs a solid game to firm up his spot as #2 I think. He was shaky as in preseason.

I think it will be a mix of starters and subs. I can see Wesley, Jota/El Ghazi, and Trez playing this. 

Team still needs to gel, so I get resting the team, but getting more minutes with certain players is key. 

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Just "The League Cup" worked very well for many years.

Naturally, that would be my preferred option too.

I was just thinking that many of this competition's image problems could have been minimised, had the Football League had the foresight to say the original name was sacrosanct (and sponsorship / naming rights could go no further than the "FA Cup sponsored by AXA" model).

We do need to give people like Targett,Nakamba,Konya Steer some game time.The problem is when you play a completely new team it is difficult for them to play at their best and it could have a negative effect on their confidence.I don’t think we should be too concerned with this cup .We have limited attacking options and the loss of Mings would have a major effect on us.

On the other hand a run in this cup may give us some momentum and allow our new players more time to get used to playing with each other.

Difficult selection decision.

Edited by Londonastonvilla

Part of Dean Smith's managerial strategy is about creating competition for places. A game like Crewe in the cup is exactly the right game for players to stake a claim for a place in the starting 11. Given that we have the squad depth and are relatively injury free at this point in the season, I would absolutely make a number of changes to give the players who will be knocking on Smith's door at Bodymoor Heath an opportunity to get themselves a starting position. Having said that, we still need the firepower upfront to win the game. My team would be:

----------------------------Steer--------------------------------

-----Elmo------Konsa-------Hause------Targett----

--------------Marvelous------Hourihane--------------

----El Ghazi --------Lansbury------------Jota--------

--------------------------Wesley------------------------------

I'd be aiming to go at them early and try to get a couple of goals ahead by half time, then replace the players likely to get a game at the weekend when the game is relatively safe. I'd love to have a cup run but I'm not sure playing a full strength side is good for two reasons - firstly, the players fighting for a starting position will be deprived a chance to prove themselves, and secondly there is another important game on Saturday where the players have to be on top form to win - any fatigue or knocks from a midweek cup tie might be the fine margins between winning and losing. And if we are struggling in the second half then bring on the cavalry, just as at Yeovil last year. I'm hopeful Smith will give the cup a serious go this year, particularly as there are a number of players used to the Saturday - Tuesday routine of the Championship.

Of course, the usual 'Aston Villa Early Exit' ® would not even be a surprise anymore, given the utter dross we have seen in the League Cup in recent years - in fact, since we made the semi-finals in 12-13 we have only made the fourth round once in 15-16, and that was only because we had the bluenoses in round 3 🤣

Fingers crossed we get the job done professionally tomorrow and safely into the draw for the dreaded round 3.

Personally, my line up would be:

Steer, Targett, Hause, Konsa, Elmo, Nakamba, Lansbury, Hourihane, El Ghazi, Davis, Kodjia.

I would bring Targett off after 60 minutes with a view to playing him on Saturday, and put Taylor on for the last 30.

If Kodjia isnt yet fit, i would possibly consider Ramsey or another youth prospect as one of the forward 3.

Edited by MaVilla

If professional footballers aren't able to play a midweek game before Saturday then there is something seriously wrong with their fitness, especially 3 weeks into a new season.

Mings is the only players who should definitely be rested after picking up a knock before Friday's game.

We should be going out to win and make sure we are in the hat for the next round.

37 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Steer, Targett, Hause, Konsa, Elmo, Nakamba, Lansbury, Hourihane, El Ghazi, Davis, Kodjia.

Way too many changes.

Great opportunity to keep building relations with our settled starting XI. I hope for the same team against Everton apart from maybe 2-3 changes.