Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

I hope we win this, would really like a good run and hopefully the draw would be soft to us.

I also hope that Davis plays well and score to get the confidence he lacks in terms of goals.

I'm not sure how can we see how players are doing as it will be interesting to see how are Nakamba, Davis, Targett, Konsa and Hause doing.

Maybe also Ramsey to have couple of minutes.

Stop this non sense of playing a b team. The cups is a great opportunity to win a trophy. I want a strong team.

--------------------Heaton---------------

Guilbert---Engels--Mings----Targett

-----------------Marvelous-----------------

-------------McGinn--Grealish------------

Jota--------------Wesley-----------El Ghazi

What i would go for.

• Like 2

Don't think we need to be making whosale changes let's try and keep some momentum going, think we can be a bit more offensive though so Targett in for Taylor, a start for Davis with big Wes on the bench. And mings rested so a start for either Hause or Konsa. As much as I want to see Marvelous don't think this is one for him to start, maybe come on for DL if we have the game won. Probably worth give Steer a place in the cup games too.

We should be able to rest players and still be confident of getting a result, that's why we signed all those players in the summer, to build a premier league quality squad. The likes of Steer, Konsa, Hause, Targett, Hourihane, Nakamba, Davis and so on should all be able to do a job, some of them may well establish themselves in our prem first eleven before the season ends. It's not like in the championship when a weakened team usually meant playing a bunch of youngsters, although I'd like to see Ramsey involved.

• Like 1

We visit Gresty Road for the third time on Tuesday night. All of the previous 4 games between the two clubs have been cup ties. We have won 3 and drawn 1 of these matches.

We first met Crewe in the 4th round of the FA Cup in 1928 at Villa Park, winning 3-0 with all 3 goals coming from George Cook in front of a 41,000 crowd. Our next two games were League Cup ties. We drew 2-2 at Gresty Road in 1974 with our goals coming from Sammy Morgan and Keith Leonard, winning the replay 1-0 with Chico Hamilton getting the winner. We went on to win the trophy that year, so perhaps might do the same this time. Our last meeting was a FA Cup tie in 1989, when we won 3-2 at Gresty Road having been 2-0 down at half time, with our goals coming from David Platt, Kevin Gage and Alan McInally.   

Crewe are currently sixth in League Two. This represents an opportunity to give the members of our squad that have not played a big role in our PL games to date, a first team run out. They will be tasked with seeing us through to the next round. As Crewe demonstrated 30 years ago, we should not take our progress into the draw for the next round for granted. They will be up for this one. Let's win it and make winning a habit! :flag:   

• Like 3

I think this is a golden opportunity for our squad to get some minutes and stake their claim for starting 11 positions. I don't see that as us not taking the cup seriously. They are good enough for Crewe and should be highly motivated to kick ass.

16 hours ago, wedge said:

Trezeguet looks fitter and more up to speed than most of our players!

Not seeing any goal involvement coming so far so actually would play him and hope he gets a goal or an assist. General play is good

Would play...

Steer

Elmo         konsa          hause          targett

Nakamba

Hourihane      grealish

Trez                     wesley                   jota

Steer comes in to get match fit. Give targett a run out, rest fred as he ran every blade of grass and rest mingles as theyve given everything last 3 plus mings has a groin concern.

Play nakamba and connor for game time to get match fit and play jack so he can dominate and further build his confidence. Same with front three, build confidence with hopefully another goal for big wes

On 24/08/2019 at 01:56, Keyblade said:

First time in years we actually have a complete and decent second string.

And at least half of them keen to show they should be in the first team - not just guaranteed reserves for the season. 

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Stop this non sense of playing a b team. The cups is a great opportunity to win a trophy. I want a strong team.

I agree but I also want Konsa, Targett, Marvellous etc to be able to step into our team as seamlessly as possible when we get injuries or they play their way in there, so that means some of the ‘b team’ need game time. That said I wouldn’t be unhappy with the exact team you suggest.

Will trust Smith to know who needs resting and who needs game time I guess. Nice position to be in.

But I really want us to win the game - sure PL is the priority but a good cup run is a great thing.

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

--------------------Heaton---------------

Guilbert---Engels--Mings----Targett

-----------------Marvelous-----------------

-------------McGinn--Grealish------------

Jota--------------Wesley-----------El Ghazi

What i would go for.

I agree that we don’t want to make wholesale changes. But Mings needed an injection before the Everton game so I’d be resting him. With the amount Guilbert and Jota put it in in the last game I’d rest both of them too. I’d take the chance to give Target a start too. I’d 100% start Wesley, another goal here and he’s on a roll. 

That second XI team that was posted at the start of the thread was perfect, and I hope we go with something like that. Playing three games in a week is a disadvantage in the PL, hence why europa league teams often struggle, and getting a result against Palace is much more important. Also love the people in this thread suggesting that the Cup is 'there for the taking' when City take it seriously and have won it easily the last two seasons. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Play the second team. They will win it, because they will be hugely motivated to show Dean what they can do.

Very rarely have I seen a second string Villa side in cup games motivated to impress anyone.

• Like 2