Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

52 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

So we should never try again in the cup competitions?

We were able to play midweek games last season, there's no reason why we can't now.

being able to and doing to the same standard as if you had a full week rest are 2 different things. palace rest their starting 11 tonight and they will immediately have an advantage over us at 3pm saturday

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c897d98a7c5c39219d60e7

😂😂

Charlie Kirk...is a good player I rate. 21 year old left sided forward.

He’s Having good start to season. Scored winner be Burnley in pre-season and second goal against Middlesbrough in last round of cup.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

I don't really see how not playing all of your first team players is 'disrespecting' the cup, we have a squad for a reason and it would be unwise not to manage that squad when needed. We'll play a team we think is good enough to win the game, the only way you disrespect the cup is if you don't want to win the game, and put out a team to lose.

Yes, we used to play 3 games a week in the championship, but a lot of those players aren't at the club anymore, Premier League games are much more physically demanding and take longer to recover from, and mistakes due to fatigue are more ruthlessly punished. 

I don't think the whole team will be changed, and I think we'll keep a strong bench as a back up, but key players might be rested or restricted to half a game.

I see no reason why Steer wouldn't start, goalkeepers are pretty interchangeable and if anything he knows the team better than Heaton does so that's an easy change, he'll be our cup keeper like most teams have nowadays.

Mings should be rested after his injury and I'd expect Hause to come in for him.

Wouldn't be too surprised if Grealish and McGinn start on the bench and come on if required.

I'd imagine Targett and Marvelous would be pretty disappointed if they didn't see any game time tonight. Konsa might consider himself a little unlucky if he doesn't get minutes too, it's a headache for Smith but one I'm sure he's glad to have!

There's a balance to be found in these kind of line ups, will be interesting to see the team he picks.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Reading many of the comments on here it seems that it's pretty divided on whether we go with a full strength side (and take the competition seriously) or we make wholesale changes (and effectively go out with a whimper!).

Yeah but they aren't mutually exclusive.

Lets not forget we are playing a league 2 side here, and its not like the ones who want to see players rested are asking for the u23s to play like it has been most times we get knocked out early.

We have just spent close to £150m putting this squad together, fielding a weaker side would include some very expensive players that Crewe could only dream about signing.

Wholesale changes does not mean going out with a whimper, these fringe players are itching to get a game (unlike years gone by)

As we progress through the rounds we can start fielding stronger sides depending on the opposition, but no way should we field the strongest xi against Crewe and risk injury to key players.

• Like 1

Tough one, but at the end of the day they should be able to handle 2 games in a week (We did it last year).

I'd drop in some of the subs but keep a good core. Give Mings (Konsa) and McGinn (Hourihane) a rest. Drop in Steer for Heaton and Targett for Taylor. Have Marvelous on the bench for a 45 minute run.

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

By rotating everyone you are disrespecting the cup and treating it like a pre season game. I find it appalling.

Same starting XI which started against Everton except Nakamba, Elmo and El Ghazi in.

I guess I don’t see it that way. Dean will start an XI that is capable of winning the match, and I am sure he will have the boys in a winning mindset.

I think there is a difference between starting a rotated squad that is still expected to win against lesser opposition and “throwing in the towel” by starting a rotated squad against strong opposition that will likely lose. I want a strong cup run as well, but the goal in cups is to win and advance. There isn’t a difference between winning 2-1 with Davis, Hause, Konsa, Steer, etc. playing vs. winning 8-1 with our strongest XI.

As long as you are playing to win the match, which I’m sure Dean will, I don’t think starting a rotated XI is disrespectful.

20 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Happy days. You’ll have to mute your celebrations when Villa score mate! Act professional! Haha! 

Haha first game I went too after stroke in feb was stoke vs villa In home end my missus was jumping for joy when both villa and stoke scored said sit down woman.. she’s football daft and now I’ve converted  her into a villa fan. As I could hardly walk and didn’t want get battered I said nothing or cheered but smiled :)

I’m professional Scott ;)

We then went on that record Breaking  run that second half until end season. Think we was 14th before that stoke game :D in a Keegan  way “i love it, just love it”

Edited by Villan4Life

Rest Heaton, and Mings.

Steer deserves to play and I reckon Hourihane, Lansbury, and Targett are nailed on to start.

I would like to keep Guilbert and Engels in so they can continue to learn each others playing styles and honestly, I would like the front three to build on the momentum after Everton and get another game to find their flow and confidence up. Then bring on Kodja, Davis, El Ghazi, up top after 60 mins to give them a rest.

Steer;

Guilbert, Engels, Konsa, Elmo;

Lansbury, Hourihane;

Jota, Grealish, Trez

Wesley

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

So we should never try again in the cup competitions?

We were able to play midweek games last season, there's no reason why we can't now.

Mate we finished 5th in a poor a championship and the Premier league is a different animal all together. 

Personally I think after a pointless game at Leeds last season where we could of picked up a suspension and multiple njuries the coaching staff will be more prudent 

2 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I guess I don’t see it that way. Dean will start an XI that is capable of winning the match, and I am sure he will have the boys in a winning mindset.

I think there is a difference between starting a rotated squad that is still expected to win against lesser opposition and “throwing in the towel” by starting a rotated squad against strong opposition that will likely lose. I want a strong cup run as well, but the goal in cups is to win and advance. There isn’t a difference between winning 2-1 with Davis, Hause, Konsa, Steer, etc. playing vs. winning 8-1 with our strongest XI.

As long as you are playing to win the match, which I’m sure Dean will, I don’t think starting a rotated XI is disrespectful.

I think you are underrating the opponent. By doing what you suggest and playing a bunch of players who are not match fit you are taking a gamble and showing the cup no seriousness.

I want us to go through and the best way to do that is to play you're best team.