Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match polls  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/08/19 at 18:00

Got tingles listening to the Villa crowd at the end of the match on the TV.

Wesley is an absolute beast. I think he probably one of the strongest players physically in the league. He bullied Mina. Can't wait to see him against weaker defenders.

Elmo had been playing well but guilbert just offers more. Good both attacking and defending. Think he will be one of our best players. Would like to see targett but Taylor had a solid game once again and is probably better defensively. I'd imagine rotation between the two depending on the opposition. 

Now we can relax, rest some players and enjoy the mid week game. 

UTV!

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Got tingles listening to the Villa crowd at the end of the match on the TV.

Wesley is an absolute beast. I think he probably one of the strongest players physically in the league. He bullied Mina. Can't wait to see him against weaker defenders.

Elmo had been playing well but guilbert just offers more. Good both attacking and defending. Think he will be one of our best players. Would like to see targett but Taylor had a solid game once again and is probably better defensively. I'd imagine rotation between the two depending on the opposition. 

Now we can relax, rest some players and enjoy the mid week game. 

UTV!

I think we agreed before the CB pairing is “Mingels”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Woke up feeling euphoric! Really hope we kick on from here and can start to get some points on the board.

That goal did Wesley a world of good - I’ll admit I thought his hold up play was poor in the first two games. Last night he was a different player. Dare I say an upgrade of Benteke!?

I think the criticism of Jack is harsh. His positional play was fantastic and he’s clearly learning from the errors. Great distribution too rather than trying to take on the world himself.

Mings and Engles. I’m trying to find a Randy Marsh gif to summarise my thoughts on the duo . . . 

As for Everton and their arrogant fans - a three year absence will never take away the fact that we are one of the most successful clubs on this island and underestimate us at your peril. Words removed. 

• Like 1

Wow what a fantastic night---these players WANT to win---the surge forward from AEL at such a late stage was something else---- i thought they all played well, special mention to Taylor who i thought  put in some timely interceptions and tackles,on, was it his first appearance with Coleman since that awful moment,? 

well pleased for Wesley on opening his account---and Mings and Engels were immense --especially after Engels getting kicked in the head by his CB partner,

tremendous scenes at the end--has Sweet Caroline ever sounded ""So Good So Good"?----am really glad it has been carried on from Wembley,

A full Villa Park in full voice under the floodlights is still a sight to behold,----well done everyone, players management coaches and fans-- now we all can enjoy a weekend in the sun,

• Like 1

What. A. Night.

That was wonderful to watch. The build up has been, a little tense. Obviously everyone was a somewhat frustrated following the Bournemouth game and disappointed that we hadn’t got anything on the board yet. Clearly in both games there were many, many positives, but it’s always nice to get those first points on the board just to make sure. So, a little apprehensive for the game.

When the team was announced, I thought Elmo had a good game against Bournemouth and was a little surprised that Guilbert was starting. Clearly he has been doing well in training and so has earned the shirt. Jota/El Ghazi didn’t surprise me and would be a good opportunity for him to show everyone properly what he can do in this league.

And when the game started, you could see why the team was playing. Defensively they were great. Mings was fantastic, getting everywhere as usual. But Engels, I am definitely loving, seems such a natural partnership that they have been playing together for years. Between them, it reminds me of Mellberg/Laursen partnership.

Taylor showing us up again as to how he has kept he place. Given he was also facing Coleman again (for the first time since the injury), he has hopefully put that behind him. And it was absolutely hilarious that he basically shut down Richarlison, one of the stand out players of last season that he pulled on 60 minutes. You could see the frustration on Richarlison’s face as well. He would have definitely got a yellow if he stayed on much longer. Are we sure this is the same player from last season?

Guilbert also showed exactly why he was picked. Such a threat going forward and really helped get the ball up the pitch and was in constant support of Jota. The triangles that were being made, it was almost like it was a training match. A little suspect in defence towards the end of the match but definitely helped when Elmo came on with the additional support. A wonderful little player who is only going to improve. He showed exactly why we made sure we got him in January. 

Luiz/McGinn/Grealish. We completely dominated the midfield and they are the reason why. Constant harassing, challenging and then coming forward and supporting. Watching Luiz as one of the most forward players was a little odd but what a player. He’s going to be brilliant. Grealish still looks a little goal shy but that will come. Between the three of them though, they will get plenty of goals/assists. 

Jota/Trezeguet were wonderful; particularly Jota. What we saw was the link up play between Jota and Wesley that we saw preseason and he definitely brought the best out of Wesley. Delighted. Trezeguet had his moments definitely, but you can see that he is still rough around the edges and final ball is a little off, BUT he was still harassing, causing issue and played really well. Thought El Ghazi looked much better than last week when he came on and obviously getting the goal at the end is always brilliant. He has given Smith food for thought I am sure. Elmo also did well with his cameo, but at that point it was more for support and to strengthen the defence more. 

Last, but certainly not least, Wesley. He was constantly a threat and cause real problems for Mina and the whole Everton defence. The goal was a very nice finish as well, but you could see he was pleased to get the first goal just to settle the nerves. I think we will see a lot coming from him. Felt the ball bounced off him more often than it should, but he was much better at trapping the ball than the last 2 games so he is definitely improving. 

Overall I gave MOTM to Guilbert but there were so many that were really good, can’t really argue with anyone.

My only criticisms are these. We are still making some mistakes, but definitely less than before. I also found that after about 60 minutes we really struggled to get hold of the ball. I know Everton we’re pressing a lot more, but still felt the ball retention was lost towards the end. Lastly, it still felt that we are slightly behind on pace still.

Smith definitely got it right today.

He showed that he is not afraid to drop players if someone else is doing better (Elmo), not to drop favourites if they play poor (El Ghazi). He is also clearly spotting gaps in the team and coaching them out. What wasn’t working/errors are going away and he is learning every game. The improvements over just 3 games are wonderful to see and it can only get better. 

We have had 3 good performances, would have been nice to have more points but it’s a tough league. Crewe will be nice and give everyone else a chance to play but cannot wait for Palace. We are showing that we deserve to be back and I think that game will cement it. We are not here to make up numbers. We are Aston Villa. 

TLDR:

ghost randy GIF

• Like 4

Ok.

Now I can go in to the bank holiday weekend with a smile on my face, knowing all the other teams have to fight it out and we got our first 3 points under our belt!

Time for a barbecue and beer today I think :)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

Best center back duo since Mellberg-Laursen

Except that wasn't really a duo as they hardly ever played together as a centre back pairing

Would have been nice to see those 2 develop a partnership. Individually they were both excellent centre halves but I believe they only had 1 full season together after Laursens 2 years out injured and before Mellberg left for Juventus. And in that season MON played Mellberg right back though with Zat Knight/Curtis Davies partnering Laursen.

Mingels looks like it could be excellent, both massive and comfortable on the ball. Though Mings is starting to play too many long balls for my liking. Occasionally it comes off like the McGinn goal v Spurs and that one last year where Green just about kept it in for another McGinn goal, but on the whole he keeps giving possession away. 

Mingels is the best partnership since Ciaron Vlaark

Edited by Junxs
  • Haha 2

We'll be fine in this league. Not a perfect performance by any stretch but Everton are a good side and we were absolutely better than them. 

Wesley's hold up play with the players around him will make us a pretty potent attacking force, and we'll only get better as they build chemistry. 

59 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Except that wasn't really a duo as they hardly ever played together as a centre back pairing

Would have been nice to see those 2 develop a partnership. Individually they were both excellent centre halves but I believe they only had 1 full season together after Laursens 2 years out injured and before Mellberg left for Juventus. And in that season MON played Mellberg right back though with Zat Knight/Curtis Davies partnering Laursen.

Mingels looks like it could be excellent, both massive and comfortable on the ball. Though Mings is starting to play too many long balls for my liking. Occasionally it comes off like the McGinn goal v Spurs and that one last year where Green just about kept it in for another McGinn goal, but on the whole he keeps giving possession away. 

Mingels is the best partnership since Ciaron Vlaark

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i assume u were at the game?

Surprised you didnt mention Engels?, he looked just as good as Mings i thought?

Especially after he started the game concussed after a boot to the face from Mings 😉

yep. Last night, so dismayed by the cricket, I decided to not risk further disappointment, and thoroughly enjoyed a proper steak, cocktail and wine meal, starters, mains, dessert, a full shebang of delicious food and drink. I snuck a look at the score a couple of times, but mainly distracted myself. What a thoroughly refreshing result and report back. Sounds like we got a break or two but sod it, 3 points, great start. As above, BBQ and drink in hand to follow this evening :D 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Heard the fans singing Sweet Caroline.

why not change it to Sweet claret and blue. 

This song has become synonymous with Edgbaston too (among other cricket grounds but the atmosphere of the Hollies stands makes Edgbaston really stand out), so I love that it's being sung at VP too. It's just a song that oozes atmosphere, if you change the lyrics then you get some people not joining in, and that song works well because absolutely everyone joins in.

What a fantastic night last night was down at VP, atmosphere was rocking and the team were fantastic to a man. They really had to put in a shift to win that game and it seems to mean so much more than a win in the Championship.

In all fairness to Everton, even though they were second-best in the game they still had their chances, and had they scored a couple of easy chances we would still be sat on 0 points. Thankfully the luck was on our side although I have to say I felt we probably deserved to win that game regardless.

Hopefully that will be the kickstart our season needs and we can get out of a relegation battle before we ever get into one, certainly if we play that well every game we have nothing to worry about. It's nice to announce ourselves well and truly back in the PL as a quick browse of the Everton forum yesterday showed that a lot of fans still think we will be exactly the same as 15/16 and go straight back down, despite the completely new owners, manager and team. I think we would surprise a lot of people if we stayed up, which based on last night's performance seems ridiculous.

It's even more enjoyable when you remember last summer we couldn't pay a tax bill and had a winding up order looming over our heads - now our record signing Brazilian striker is scoring goals in the Premier League. Whatever happens this season I still think it's a minor miracle that we're in this position anyway.

Enjoy the long weekend Villans, and keep watching that El Ghazi goal over and over again... UTV

• Like 1

Â