Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match polls  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/08/19 at 18:00

On a slightly random note, it was interesting how Everton cynically blocked every quick free-kick (yet scythed down Trezeguet when he returned the favour) while Bournemouth endlessly hurled themselves to ground claiming non-existent off-the-ball shenanigans. I had forgotten what a den of cheats this division is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SirSteveUK said:

NBC in USA are a F****** disgrace. Against b'mouth they showed ads from halftime until the game was an hour old. - and then showed all the 2nd half on what was in essence a 15 minute delay.

Tonight - they did the same damn thing - except they started showing the 2nd half at approx 65 minutes  - didnt bother at all with the first 20 mins of the 2nd half

I was streaming on the NBC Sports app and the 2nd half seemed to be behind the match thread by about a minute at most.  

My friends in the group chat were all congratulating me and saying how impressed they were with Villa tonight. 

My reply was that I felt like I was watching the play off final all over again and they were saying well ok calm down it's only one win.....,

I think we all know this wasn't just '3 points'.  This was the first victory in the PL in 1294 days and we have been through some tough times since that win against Norwich.

I thought after the first 15 mins we were in for another Spurs-esque long game with our backs against the wall for the 90.  Once we got going I thought we were absolutely tremendous and made a very good Everton side look ordinary for large parts of the game. 

For me McGinn continues to be the best player on the pitch and in the team.  Grealish for me is still doing good things if you look closely enough, he's such a good ball carrier and is still our talisman. I reckon now 'that stat' is off his chest Jack will come on leaps and bounds and he will start to influence the game more UTVand more.

Huge shout to Wesley who was just absolutely immense tonight.  Can't help but compare him to Benteke and that performance tonight was up there with CB's peak games for us.

Mentions for Jota, "Mengels", Guilbert for excellent personal performances and EL Ghazi for the goal which is the perfect response to being benched.

UTV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Righto. My thoughts. Bullet pointed cos a little tipsy and don't trust myself to form paragraphs

Engels shouldn't work as a footballer. He's skinny and lanky but has a strength and intelligence and passion about him that I love

Our midfield was non existent first half but I always had faith that they would play their part. Which they did

My new favourite sight in football is when our goalie has kicked the ball and you see big Wesley looking round, seeing what defender is eyeing the ball, then running over to stand on his toes and bully him to get in front of him and get control. Class

Tyrone Mings should narrate meditation exercises or something because when he speaks I feel so calm

John McGinn should not

I love love love el ghazis desire to get the ball for the second goal. Even jack didn't know he was arriving to nick the ball off his toes. And his single minded determination for the goal is what made it

Never liked Gary Neville but that is like the third time he has said villa park is his favourite away ground so respect bro

Expected trezeguet to be a diva winger. He ain't. He works hard and makes some very intelligent runs

I'd love it to be because he secretly loves the Villa, but I reckon it's actually because of that FA Cup tie against Arsenal.

Agree with everything you said though. Wes marauding around the pitch like a boss level bad guy on every goal kick and clearance... 🍆💦

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Righto. My thoughts. Bullet pointed cos a little tipsy and don't trust myself to form paragraphs

Engels shouldn't work as a footballer. He's skinny and lanky but has a strength and intelligence and passion about him that I love

Our midfield was non existent first half but I always had faith that they would play their part. Which they did

My new favourite sight in football is when our goalie has kicked the ball and you see big Wesley looking round, seeing what defender is eyeing the ball, then running over to stand on his toes and bully him to get in front of him and get control. Class

Tyrone Mings should narrate meditation exercises or something because when he speaks I feel so calm

John McGinn should not

I love love love el ghazis desire to get the ball for the second goal. Even jack didn't know he was arriving to nick the ball off his toes. And his single minded determination for the goal is what made it

Never liked Gary Neville but that is like the third time he has said villa park is his favourite away ground so respect bro

Expected trezeguet to be a diva winger. He ain't. He works hard and makes some very intelligent runs

Feel like you have posted a really positive review of your experience but somehow managed to slag off John McGinn, albeit in a non-footballing capacity.

How dare you.

• Haha 1

I love that El Ghazi scored the goal and his reaction after. Smith wanted competition for every position. El Ghazi has been poor last 2 got rightfully dropped and got chance to come on and say look at me gaffer. Exactly as it should be

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

NBC in USA are a F****** disgrace. Against b'mouth they showed ads from halftime until the game was an hour old. - and then showed all the 2nd half on what was in essence a 15 minute delay.

Tonight - they did the same damn thing - except they started showing the 2nd half at approx 65 minutes  - didnt bother at all with the first 20 mins of the 2nd half

I watched NBC Sports and had no issues. Coverage was great with no delay or interruptions. I watched it on Dish, did you watch online?

I could not make the game last night due to work commitments, but managed to resell my seat in the Holte End back to Villa. Saw that it got sold so glad that some fortunate lucky bugger (not jealous at all :( ) could attend.

6 hours ahead time difference here (Vietnam) meant that I kept waking up every 15 mins looking  at the score and reading the Villa Talk comments during the game ! :) 

Sounded like a great night. That win, as mentioned by troon_villa, was worth more than 3 points to be honest and the confidence that will bring the team will be huge.

It also seemed that the last 5 mins before the second goal the "12th man" helped Villa secure those points....nothing like a goal in the last minutes of a game to secure a win!

This was an important victory...

VTID

2 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

On a slightly random note, it was interesting how Everton cynically blocked every quick free-kick (yet scythed down Trezeguet when he returned the favour) while Bournemouth endlessly hurled themselves to ground claiming non-existent off-the-ball shenanigans. I had forgotten what a den of cheats this division is. 

Tbf we spent a fair amount of the Spuds game throwing ourselves on the floor. It’s just part of the modern game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, privateer said:

I think so, too. Much as I and we justifiably revere Mellberg and Laursen, Mingels is shaping up as a class above.

I mean, really, have you ever seen two CB slot in so easily as they have and perform at the level they have? Mings from January and Bjorn since, well, it looks like he's been here since before then.

We all knew how good Tyrone was but Jesus H. Tittyfucking Christ we really had absolutely no **** idea just how good Engels is. :crylaugh:The bonkers thing is he looks like a high jumper rather than a football CH. Massively athletic and, at least as far as the opponents are concerned, sickeningly strong. I actually think he's a bit of a freak in football terms. Genius football IQ like McGrath, disproportionately strong despite his large size and a passing ability most pundits would, because they're stupid words removed, preface with the facile, "For a big man he...".

Please can we make Mingels a thing?

Edited by Spoony
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Shout out to how much I hate a Friday game btw. I’m in cayman and it kicked off at 2pm my time whilst I was very much chained to my desk ☹️

Absolute best for me. 7am Saturday morning 

Â