Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match polls  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/08/19 at 18:00

Cor their manager wasn’t bitter enough in his post match press conference 

as for the game we will play better than this and lose , such is football ... we rode our luck but I think we deserved it over all  the holy trinity of Luiz , McGinn and Jack did its job and looked better overall than anything Everton had 

Trezequet didn’t offer much and is still yet to convince me but maybe he just needs a bit longer to settle , the good thing is we have some options to replace him with as he gets better

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Best center back duo since Mellberg-Laursen

Mings and Engels will potentially be even better than Olof and Laursen, I think. They are both comfortable bringing the ball out and can go past opposition players in a way I can’t recall seeing neither Mellberg nor Laursen doing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Best center back duo since Mellberg-Laursen

Engels looks the best CB I have seen since god graced us with his presence, ice cool on the ball.

Once this team has settled down and know how each other plays Grealish will get more freedom,  at the moment he's trying to fill the spaces that are left by our lack of experience.

Ref was inconsistent, Gomez got away with foul after foul with no yellow. They stopped our quick free kicks  time after time with no punishment ..........poor 

Wesley is a beast.

UTV 

• Like 3

Well, that’s a great result. The performance was decent... and despite Everton blowing two fantastic chances, we held on, and even scored a bonus Fergie Time winner.

Very happy for Wes and for Dean Smith... Was a little nervous when Guilbert got carded so early, but he did okay and made a great tackle in the second half.

Jota was my MOTM before being taken off. No real controversy in the game and it was a cracking atmosphere.

Very pleased with the result. Still room to improve... but we’re up and running with two goals and a clean sheet. This will be a good weekend... 

8/10 👍🏼 

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

How the hell people are claiming this was a good refereeing performance I'll never know. I want what drugs you are doing on match day

Thought we got some decent decisions our way today. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JohnStortford said:

Honestly I was going to say the same.

Oliver let the Everton players stand ontop of our free kicks all game, booked Guilbert for a tactical foul then doesn't book Coleman for doing the exact same thing. Gomes didn't get booked until his 5th foul. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting

Dont forget called a offside from an El Ghazi cross for a player who wasnt even in play.

• Like 1

Pleased for El Ghazi... had a rough opening 2 games. I get the feeling he may be better deployed as a substitute going forward

• Like 1

MOTM - Wesley, big, strong, athletic, scored one played a huge part in the second, bullied their centre halves all game. 

Closely followed by Mings / Engels / Jota and the 12th man - The Holte. The atmosphere was electric. Our fans deserved that. 

I thought we rode our luck at times and on another day that might have gone against us but so relieved to get our first win and hopefully we can push on now and have the belief that we can compete at this level, because at times tonight, we played some lovely one / two touch stuff and both goals were tremendous bits of interchange / quick thinking / clever play. Love it.

We may lose more than we win this season, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's f@#!/# great to have a really likeable squad again. UTV

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Mings and Engels will potentially be even better than Olof and Laursen, I think. They are both comfortable bringing the ball out and can go past opposition players in a way I can’t recall seeing neither Mellberg nor Laursen doing. 

I think Laursen was deceptively good at moving past a man with the ball at his feet. Probably not as ballplaying as Mings and Engels, but the stride Laursen had was awesome

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think Laursen was deceptively good at moving past a man with the ball at his feet. Probably not as ballplaying as Mings and Engels, but the stride Laursen had was awesome

Yeah, fair enough. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It was a different time. Back then, Ollie in particular, had superb feet and was quick. You can see in Tyrone, though, how the centre half position has changed over the years. 

So nice to not see us reverting to having Dunne and Collins style pairings at CB (although at set pieces, they had their advantages) and bringing a bit of culture as well as grit.  

What a performance against one of the teams who should be muscling in on top 6. Unfortunately I could only watch on TV tonight due to not living in In England but I never saw villa park rocking so much in all my years going, made me so proud being a villan hearing the noise over the TV tonight. I feel we are part of a runaway train marching in the direction of success. Hope the owners and Smith stay for the long haul. Patience and appreciation are key for us this season I think. 

• Like 1

Massive 3 points to get us off the mark.

Think we gave as good as we got, our luck evened itself out from the Bournemouth game -could easily have been 2-2.  Wesley was everything I had hoped for , strong in his hold up play and looked ice cool as he tucked his goal away.

As good as he was defensively Taylor was very poor going forward. Watch how many times he goes forward and then holds out his arms because he thinks no one is showing for him to pass to.

Â