Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match polls  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/08/19 at 18:00

Just now, Michelsen said:

What a great feeling. We got the luck that eluded us last weekend, and Everton will wonder how they never scored, but we played a good game and look like we belong in this league. Wesley was fantastic, as was Freddie  Guilbert. Mings and Engels is just a superb duo. Grealish pulled the strings in midfield. 

And the atmosphere at VP. Bloody hell. 

Can I also comment on André Gomes? What does he offer to a team, and how the f*** did he ever play for Barcelona?

Lol! Absolutely what I was thinking!!

Wesley was a monster, bullied them, some excellent play, his run and finishing for the goal was great, he played a critical role in the second, taking it down, holding it up and laying it off, we scored 2 passes later.

Jota was class, excellent assist and some lovely passing.

Engels was class, didnt put a foot wrong.

Mings was class also, just needs to cut out some of those holywood passes, just needs to find his man sometimes.

Guilbert was great, bombed up and down, really helped us going forward, and defended really well.

Heaton was steady, didnt have much to do, tbh.

Trezeguet was quiet but worked hard, you could see taylor really hindered him, no support.

Taylor was gash for me, did ok defensively, but some terrible passes and he had a great chance to hit a low cross in and we would have prob had a good chance, but he ballooned it, need targett imo.

Was close for MOM for me, gave it to Wesley, but Jota wasnt far behind imo.

• Like 3

Me who voted gilbert

Changed our entire right hand side. 

That is what overlapping does.

Taylor I suspect is next to be switched, even slow on throw ins.

Defensively sound, cant knock elmo or Taylor, attacking, well I think gilbert showed why people want a faster player who is willing to overlap at the back.

Whole team well done

3 points baby 😎

• Like 3

Great night at VP - absolutely rocking.

Superb goals by Wesley & AEG But really a good team performance all round. The first goal saw us grow in confidence and I don’t think Everton had much hope after we got the momentum. 

So, still a lot to learn but a massive step forward tonight. I’m certainly not going to pick a MOTM our of that. It was all about the team.

(Guilbert  was good though!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yesssss!

Sluggish start but got better and better. Big Wes did excellent holding the ball up and took the goal clinically. Jota excellent and lively. El Ghazi has to start next match. Targett for Taylor as well. Clean sheet to boot. Away we go!

UTV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mozzavfc said:

Can I vote for the crowd as MOTM?

Villa Park was absolutely rocking 

I've never experienced it like that, we just needed that first win. I ended up a couple of rows in front after the first goal. I didn't intend to. 

Well isn't that lovely. 

First things first. Referee was awful again. So many weird decisions. Lets ignore the fact that we hardly got a free kick. Wesley being kicked all over the park and nothing. Or the fact that Everton couldn't get a yellow card.

Gomes got a yellow card in 80th minute for something Oliver allowed him to do all match. Just disgraceful. And that's not mentioning him giving Trezeguet a yellow card for being kicked down, for the same stuff he refused to card Gomes for. **** unreal. Piss poor referee.

Deano did well in this one, but I'd have preferred to get Hourihane on for Grealish earlier, and subs maybe earlier in general. But we won, so maybe he got it right.

Heaton - Good game. Were out on a weird walk off his line which made me feel akward again, but solid stuff in general.

Guilbert. Quality. He adds a dimension to our game we've been lacking. I said it before, I'll say it again. He is top class. And I will add something I've said earlier as well. The advantage for us when we play Guilbert and Targett is that we create more cause our wingers cut inside, thus we need an overlap. 

Engels - Rock.

Mings - Saw people in the match thread whining at his performace. I thought he was borderline MOTM. Absolutely fantastic first half. 

Taylor - Very good defensively. Awful going forward. It's mind boggling how someone can be that good under defensive pressure and that useless during offensive pressure. Targett is needed. Taylor is a handicap for our attacking play. No discussion. 

McGinn - Alright. Not his best.

Luiz - Grows into the game methinks. Was a bit more of a man in the physical game this match.

Grealish - Once again I think he was one of the worst players on the pitch. I'd probably call him our worst player. It's a massive handicap to have a 451 tactic and an attacking playmaker that can't finish or create directly. He does very well weighted passes from the deep, but we got Luiz for that. If he will continute the way he plays now, he needs to add physicality to his game. Not impressed. 

Trezeguet - Incredibly hard worker. Like him.

Jota - Impressive. He ran 9,6 km in 78 minutes. That's extreme. 

Wesley - Superb. Really good match. One complaint is that I wish he could drop that sulking when he doesn't get it the way he wants.

Subs did well, no big comment there. 

Crowd. Fantastic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Thug said:

The hardest motm I’ve chosen in a long time.

could have been any one of Mings, Engels, Wesley...

but ive gone for Jota.

nearly everything good in attack he was involved with.  He was the key to unlock defences

Me too.

I'm sorry but someone remind me how much Jota cost us? There people is the bargain buy of the season from any club worldwide. Bloody hell he's a class act.

Engels, wow he is our Belgium Mellberg already!

• Haha 1

Just the right subs from Dean. He made exceptionally good decisions. Like bringing in Elmo for Trez, and El-Ghazi for Jota obviously. 

All things have been said here already, but I just love Heaton, I was disappointed with him after Bournemouth, but he seems to be strong mentally, which is so valuable to us right now.

YESSSSSSSSS!! Winning feels so good.

*disclaimer: I only got to see the last 30ish minutes*

- Wesley was immense. I love his feisty spirit. Sticking up for his teammates shows he cares about his teammates. Seems like that is something we’ve had under Deano that had been missing for years.

- I dare say, Mings has been our best player so far this year.

- I thought Jack played well, and I’m not all over him for his play so far this year. However, I wish he would shoot more. Although I know he is more of a facilitator, there was twice in the last 10 minutes where he walked into the box and passed it off. Wish he would’ve let one of those go towards goal.

- This team certainly can compete, and will only get better with more time to gel. We just beat a good Everton side. I hope this result calms the nerves of the fans who were getting ready to press the panic button.

- Villa Park is a magical place. Every time I watch a home match on TV I find myself thinking “I absolutely have to get there.” The atmosphere tonight was immense.

• Like 1

Just now, stewiek2 said:

I'm sorry but someone remind me how much Jota cost us? There people is the bargain buy of the season from any club worldwide. Bloody hell he's a class act.

Engels, wow he is our Belgium Mellberg already!

He was excellent, truly exceptional. The guile and ingenuity he showed and oozed confidence. Great performance from the dainty man. 

Â