FIFA 20

NurembergVillan

I'm assuming another year of the game going backwards, due to them putting everything in to making 100 versions of cards for every player in FUT.

"Scott McTominay made his 16th appearance for Man U, get this 99 rated card to celebrate this historic achievement!"

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'm assuming another year of the game going backwards, due to them putting everything in to making 100 versions of cards for every player in FUT.

"Scott McTominay made his 16th appearance for Man U, get this 99 rated card to celebrate this historic achievement!"

They're adding even more bullshit fodder to the packs too, now.  Celebrations, tifos, possibly even half-time pies at your chosen stadium.

They've added in a version of FIFA Street too.

We really need a decent football game for grown-ups.

• Like 1

Due to some long, long overdue changes to last year's Career Mode I've actually gotten a decent amount of longevity out of 19.  Of course, as ever when they fix something, something else breaks that then doesn't get patched. Last year the biggie was the youth scouting/regen racial characteristics of certain countries being all over the shop (i.e. youth players scouted in South Africa or regens from smaller African nations would all be caucasian, same with youth players scouted from any of the Asian countries).

My fondest wish would be to actually have the proper goalkeeper kits for all licensed teams rather than the placeholder crap, but in 10+ years this hasn't happened so I don't expect them to start now.  Hell, I'd actually pay extra for some sort of DLC to fix it.  Although as I'm literally typing this it's just dawned on me that as I finally own a PC capable of playing a modern game now, I could buy the PC version and find some mods to fix this.

People who's opinion I trust say this FIFA is potentially the best FIFA ever from the BETA. They absolutely slated FIFA19 stating it was one of the worst ever (which it absolutely was, absolutely horrific game).

Manual defending is much better, no more AI doing all the work for you
Shooting works as expected (ie, it's now easier to score a 1 on1 than a 30 yard volley)
Can't chain multiple skill moves together anymore which was annoying af
Need to be far more accurate with your passing

I'll buy it, like I always do, 'cos i'm a complete sucker for it. Cautiously optimistic about this game. Still hate FUT and will forever hate it. They should release that as a FTP game every year and have an actual development team focusing on the main game and new features more.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

The best thing in any FIFA to date was the 5-a-side indoor mode in Road to World Cup '98.

So if it's anything like that, then it'll be a big thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

As the idiot I am, I'll buy it and spend countless of hours in needless FIFA rage. 

I hope we're able to tweak tactics this year, the streamlined tactics for 19 was terrible. 

• Like 1

On 22/08/2019 at 09:37, kurtsimonw said:

Having bought every version of FIFA since 2008 I stopped buying it 3 years ago, it was obviously the same game with just a few teaks over and over again, where the main work all went into FUT which I never play. Though I did try it once and was shocked you have to keep buying contracts for players and found it tedious after every game there would be at least one player needing a new contract. Clearly just wanting people to buy fifa coins.

I refuse to spend more money on a game once I've paid for it, never bought a DLC pack for anything.

Having said that I might buy it this year only because Villa are back in the premier league and I feel like the game should have changed enough in the last few years to warrant a purchase.

• Like 3

On 22/08/2019 at 10:14, NurembergVillan said:

They're adding even more bullshit fodder to the packs too, now.  Celebrations, tifos, possibly even half-time pies at your chosen stadium.

We really need a decent football game for grown-ups.

It's called Volta, while it is street football it's looking rather sweet.

EA are going all out crazy on this title I've been watching it, bet assured it will be the best fifa yet with tons of improvements.

On 25/08/2019 at 15:31, Junxs said:

Having bought every version of FIFA since 2008 I stopped buying it 3 years ago, it was obviously the same game with just a few teaks over and over again, where the main work all went into FUT which I never play. Though I did try it once and was shocked you have to keep buying contracts for players and found it tedious after every game there would be at least one player needing a new contract. Clearly just wanting people to buy fifa coins.

I refuse to spend more money on a game once I've paid for it, never bought a DLC pack for anything.

Having said that I might buy it this year only because Villa are back in the premier league and I feel like the game should have changed enough in the last few years to warrant a purchase.

Contracts are dirt cheap on fifa 19 and that's the best ones for 150, now it's real easy to make coinage on the market, the easiest is buy the cheapest bronze pack and sell everything as its guarenteed.

On 23/08/2019 at 13:26, Skruff said:

As the idiot I am, I'll buy it and spend countless of hours in needless FIFA rage. 

I hope we're able to tweak tactics this year, the streamlined tactics for 19 was terrible. 

My only quarrels with fifa 19 were once your midfield had the ball, your players in front wouldn't make a run half the time, glad they have highlighted that and sorting out.

They have had the top fifa players and real footballers in and ran comparisons between 19 and 20 to help improve and pick out things that do need improving with what would happen on the pitch.

I know the game is being slowed down sonme what to allow players time to react because it was a reality that it became a sped up game of who leaves who for dust. There was a hidden feature that allowed the person with the ball to run away from his defender, that's being ironed out also, especially if you have a pacey guy.

Stats actually mean that the stats will matter.

There's a new set pieces and penalty system that brings the curve back on the ball.

New ball dynamics, players will affect it, so too will the weather, the ref won't this time however.

Think Var is making an appearance, I think on that one.

I've been keeping pretty up to date on the game and to me I have plenty of mates pre ordering fifa 20, mates that either don't like football or the games even, still looking into buying it unlike the others.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Watching gameplay for sports sims is a bit pointless, you can't really feel how a game plays until you play it. This is FIFA's biggest problem. For all of it's  many faults, the way it plays has been awful for about a decade, with promises of improvement each year. It's only gone backwards IMO and I see no reason why this year would be any different?

9 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Watching gameplay for sports sims is a bit pointless, you can't really feel how a game plays until you play it. This is FIFA's biggest problem. For all of it's  many faults, the way it plays has been awful for about a decade, with promises of improvement each year. It's only gone backwards IMO and I see no reason why this year would be any different?

But where some may think gameplay has gone backwards, those millions invested in the game actually see how it's moved forward over that decade.

Played them all from days of the megadrive, I manage to see the changes made, especially when your talking about a decade of changes. Whether it's graphical, gameplay, stats, clubs, modes, different features the developers can't cater to everyone all the time.

I don't like some things about fifa 19, yet disect the game thoroughly and play the heck out of it you get one hell of a good game, especially when your playing online with friends.

I've got a friend who doesn't like football yet he loves it now thanks to that game.

Thing is compares to fifa in the way that it does play, there isn't a good enough substitute, pro evo comes closest and even some may think it's better, then it comes down to preference.

Fifa 20 has one thing at the moment making me feel abit meh and that's it's lay the ball off in front of your controlling player. That move however does not mean it will be there some months after release, just like the finess shot where many got annoyed EA went and toned down the finess as it was scoring goals pretty much everytime it was used, not more so there is much greater chance you miss.

The good thing is fifa 19 is a much different game now to what it was when it was released so yes to say they fifa games dont change is a pretty crazy thing to say considering patches, updates occur on the game all taken from fan feedback, it's the masses that change the game.

I've enjoyed playing all FIFAs in some shape or form other than FIFA19. The skill gap was just removed from the game, the AI defending was incredibly overpowered leading every match to feel like a sweaty mess. I'm fairly certain the game was designed to make sure everyone has a good game once in a while to keep them interested, and that comes from the way the AI and ball physics work. EA have always denied there's any type of scripting in FIFA but with FIFA19, i'm more sure of it than I've ever been.

That said, I've still played the game a ton, and currently ranked 13th in the world for 2v2 co-op online (playing with a mate is the only gametype where I can remotely enjoy the game)

But it's the worst FIFA by an absolute country mile. 

I've said it many times but I wish playing with "manual" settings was the default configuration for online play. Would make the game so much more skilled. Everything being "assisted" is like playing call of duty with an aimbot on. It's shit. But EA won't do that, to raise the skill gap will mean players losing interest, and less purchasing of their magical FIFA coins.

I really wish there was a decent alternative to FIFA.

Edited by PieFacE

Romanian League added.  No word on whether the Russian League will be back in, or if the now long-forgotten Czech league will ever make a reappearance.

15 hours ago, Dave-R said:

the developers can't cater to everyone all the time.

Yeah but it'd be swell if they just stopped dropping features from games only to bring those same features back 4 iterations later under the guise of "ZOMG LOOK AT THIS BRAND NEW THANG!".

Edited by GarethRDR

Most video games just don't really work, do they?

Story based stuff is okay, because you play for the story, then the puzzle element of getting through it makes it what it is.

But sports sims, shooters... as soon as you add an element on AI in to it, it drops dead IMO. I've conceded goals where an AI defender has stepped up for no reason and let someone in behind. I've scored goals where an AI defender has stupidly played me onside. Shooters, either the AI decides to let you kill them or decides you will die first.

Only Clubs type modes work in sports sims when as many players as possible are controlled by humans, shooters only work online when there are no AI soldiers.

The thing with FIFA is in the early years they could change the game quite drastically with improvements.

Nowadays the changes are so subtle you can't really notice them, sometimes they make major changes that work and sometimes they don't.

It's quite easy to forget just how far it's come, just look at the difference in gameplay from 2015 - 2019.

I remember FIFA 1999 coming out and thinking that it would never get any better.

Â