Marvel's Avengers

Chindie

Ive been playing on xbox have to say i like 

Spoiler

I just did the taskmaster bit that was fun

Only bit i havent liked is playing as iron man. The flying controls and shooting is very fiddly.

Captain america and thor are fun to play with.

Id say so far very impressed

I played the opening ‘tutorial’ bit of the beta ending in taskmaster fight and I really enjoyed it. Each character felt different to play with. Thor, Hulk and Cap were fun to fight with. Be interested to see how it plays going forward with the power ups and customisation.

On 16/08/2020 at 20:46, Dante_Lockhart said:

I played the opening ‘tutorial’ bit of the beta ending in taskmaster fight and I really enjoyed it. Each character felt different to play with. Thor, Hulk and Cap were fun to fight with. Be interested to see how it plays going forward with the power ups and customisation.

I really enjoyed it.

The only thing is it reminds me a bit of warframe. I liked the game but the mods were so hard to understand on that game.

If the mods and weapons are good then im happy as gameplay is really good.

I expect we will get a massive rostser as the time goes on 

What seems to be at least the initial character lineup was mined from the code in the PC beta 

Ant-Man

Black Panther

Black Widow

Captain America

Captain Marvel

Dr Strange

Falcon

Hawkeye

Hulk

Hulkbuster

Iron Man

Kate Bishop

Mar-Vell

Mockingbird

Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)

Quake

Scarlett Witch

She-Hulk

Thor

Vision

War Machine

Wasp

Winter Soldier

It's a very, very, very MCU lineup. I'd hope they fill out the lineup with some more characters away from the movies. There's a lot of characters that can fit this type of game that haven't made appearances in the movies.

It's also not cast in stone that that is the lineup - the Hulkbuster is in the game, for instance, but seemingly as Iron Man's super ability. So unless they've got plans to introduce the Hulkbuster as it's own character down the line, it's possible that some of those characters are NPC's or the like.

• 3 weeks later...

So anyone buy this? I biught today on release man its such a good game.

The beginning bit isnt the same as the beta demo. You start off trying to collect comics before you move on to the beta demo part. They  certainly made taskmaster harder than the demo though.

But a fantastic game so far. Much better than marvel alliance 3 was.

• Like 1

This really is Destiny, but with a better done campaign. It's a shame they had to go down the money grubbing route, there's hints here they could have made something really good.

I die a little inside every time a game has these completely transparent cookie cutter 'missions' with feeble attempts to wallpaper a narrative justification over it. 

On 08/09/2020 at 12:35, Chindie said:

This really is Destiny, but with a better done campaign. It's a shame they had to go down the money grubbing route, there's hints here they could have made something really good.

I die a little inside every time a game has these completely transparent cookie cutter 'missions' with feeble attempts to wallpaper a narrative justification over it. 

Your absolutely spot on. It is designed the same as destiny and the money grabbing aspect really annoys me.

Its a massive shame as the game itself is very very good

And finished the campaign.

It's a decent Avengers story with a couple of B tier villains wrapped around a very basic gameplay loop (it's Destiny smashed into a button bash brawler). It's a shame that the game is built around that Destiny style objective gameplay, which always feels rote ('Avengers go DEFEND POINT A! Avengers, destroy ITEMS A B C') and it's hard to get away from the cynicism of it being pure grind based, as there's good fundamentals here. It's satisfying to play, it looks great, it has a few nice set pieces.

Unfortunately it's also obviously been kicked out the door half dressed. This is the buggiest, worst running game I've played this generation. On the performance, frame rate drops are all over the place, down to the kind of thing I've not seen since PS1 days with sustained drops in the low teens. This is particularly the case any time you are mobbed by enemies with lots of particle effects, which happens a lot... And on the bugs... The game has hard crashed 5 or 6 times, there's a widely experienced bug I've also encountered where trying to start the campaign from the main menu causes an infinite load requiring you to instead go into the campaign from the multiplayer, and there's been innumerable cases where I've had to fail missions because things like objective enemies disappeared, or the AI just decided to no longer revive me when downed. The latter happened 3 times on the final boss, with in the first instance my AI team just vanishing entirely and the others the AI ignoring my being down for the near minute it takes for you to 'die'.

I'm hopeful that they can tinker with this and put together something that, down the line, is a good package. As is, it's a decent but massively flawed title.

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds like it's flopped hard, £35m losses, rumoured 60% sales achieved, really low player base 

Indeed, it's definitely not a game that ever appealed to me to be honest, but I'm firmly entrenched in that age-old adage that franchise tie-ins are to be largely avoided or at best, left to the bargain bin.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds like it's flopped hard, £35m losses, rumoured 60% sales achieved, really low player base 

Yeah its flopped. They messed up so much about it. They should have had more avaiable characters to choose from the start.  Also story ahould have been online from start.

They badly messed up. Its also abit destiny mixed in which isnt suited for marvel games in my view. Its ahsame as visually its great and controls are good.

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'll pick it up in the PSN sale when it's like £12 or something just to play through once at least.

If those sales figures are true and the take up on the microtransactions is decent enough then it might end up on psn+ / game pass before long 

It's absolutely not a bad game. It's got a decent story and it plays well, if simplistically, looks nice, sounds nice, it's completely decent.

It's problem is it's incredibly thin. You basically have a handful of enemies that you fight over and over through the game, and by the very nature of it's looter pretentions, over and over and over and over... and over again, grinding loot and levels and too many resources for upgrades. There's 3 true named bosses in the game, a couple of which you can right repeatedly over the games equivalent of strike missions. The loot is entirely numbers end stats based, you can't loot a new armour piece for Iron Man and have that make any cosmetic difference, skins are their own separate thing that you can unlock and buy (with in game currency or real cash).

I've played a fair old whack of it, and I can't deny that I've enjoyed it. It's a decent brainless time waster. But it really feels like a missed opportunity. The Destiny stuff isn't a great fit for the franchise but they've then kinda fudged it. The fundamental mechanics are there but in Destiny it feels like your character is evolving as you unlock stuff and find stuff. Here, the numbers go up. They do have some elements of customising the gameplay, every character has a series of 'either or' perks you can choose to personalise your play style (i.e. you can set your Iron Man to focus on rockets, or lasers, or repulsor blasts) but fundamentally the gameplay is the gameplay and Iron Man is Iron Man with a choice of a few skins inspired by the usual comic classic designs.

It's a shame because again, the fundamentals of the game are good. There's absolutely the basis of a cool Avengers game here. It feels like if they had toned back the Destiny dollar chasing, they could have made a really great game. They could have had a fundamental base game with a campaign where you follow the story much like they do already, bouncing around the roster as you 'Reassemble' the Avengers. And then have a series of short individual campaigns for the separate characters, which again they nod towards (each character has a 2 mission chain on their own story, but done incredibly half arsed). And have that become the selling point for the DLC - here's Hawkeye and his 3 - 5hr campaign, here's Moon Knight (:wub:) and his campaign... Have the multiplayer be co-op strike missions with people earning skins or something.

Instead it's... Well. It's own brand Destiny. Completely mindless tasks (defend this point, hold these points) to make the numbers go up. It's too rote. It's not got enough variety. It's not special. It's the game equivalent of a shrug, with the promise of more shrug to come. Damn shame.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bought this for my lad for Xmas, just installed it and downloaded the update but when starting the game, the opening cut scene stuttered and lagged so badly we couldn’t progress further.

anyone else had such an issue with the game glitching?

have uninstalled and beginning a reinstall now... 🙁

edit - reinstall worked! Lad is happy 😊 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Bought this for my lad for Xmas, just installed it and downloaded the update but when starting the game, the opening cut scene stuttered and lagged so badly we couldn’t progress further.

anyone else had such an issue with the game glitching?

have uninstalled and beginning a reinstall now... 🙁

edit - reinstall worked! Lad is happy 😊 

Good news 👏 Merry Christmas dude

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
Â