Marvel's Avengers

Chindie

59 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

In what way?

It's probably going to be a live service game, which'll mean the thing will be designed to generate ongoing cash - i.e. it'll charge for everything it can. It won't have lootboxes, they claim, but you can bet it'll have some form of currency for some kind of boost or the like.

If this was a pure story driven title, it looks pretty good (some dodgy design choices, like Cap's suit, aside), if it was more God of War than Destiny in it's single player content. But it's very unlikely to be. So the soul will be ripped out of it to ram microtransactions down your throat.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's probably going to be a live service game, which'll mean the thing will be designed to generate ongoing cash - i.e. it'll charge for everything it can. It won't have lootboxes, they claim, but you can bet it'll have some form of currency for some kind of boost or the like.

If this was a pure story driven title, it looks pretty good (some dodgy design choices, like Cap's suit, aside), if it was more God of War than Destiny in it's single player content. But it's very unlikely to be. So the soul will be ripped out of it to ram microtransactions down your throat.

Gotcha 👍

Game looks pretty good but that would ruin it.

I haven't seen anything that impresses me about this yet. 

This game feels to me like a game that all of my friends are going to play and call it the "best game of all time", while I'm sat there scratching my head not understanding the hype. 

I have always been about gameplay over anything else so if a studio presents me with a very shallow experience I get bored. Now maybe they'll prove me wrong and they'll impress me eventually, but right now this is not high on my list of games to play in 2020. 

• 11 months later...

Definitely going to buy this for my birthday. One I enjoy Marvel and two I like abit of a beat em up with RPG elements to it.

For those that have not seen anything of it or do not know the story, it's where Ms Marvel aka Kamala khan tried to unravel the truth about AIM day and the blame pinned on the Avengers. Captain America is classed as dead, though think hes a playable character, other playable characters are Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Iron Man, Ant Man, Villains abomination and task master may be even playable characters.

AIM day see the Villain M.O.D.O.K take control of the planet by out thinking the Avenger and killing the Cap. M.O.D.O.K has much weaponry in his arsenal that he commands an army of sentinals and is determined to use mutants as an excuse to take over the world. So the Avenger are banished, they have scattered, gone I to exile,  some are not even friends, take Bruce Banner for instance, he sits in court and gave evidence against the avengers thinking he was right and the Avengers are a threat to people and the world they live in, which helps M.O.D.O.K start his plans, he just doesnt relise it.

Now enough of the story onto abit of the game play.

I have noticed some features borrowed from other games like how gear is displayed, had abit of the destiny feel that bit does. 

You start your own characters and each can become different with the gear or equipment added in them,  for instance you can add hulk gammar radiation to ironman changing his attacks entirely, dont like that add a different element or power.

Characters will not only have different feel through gear but they in turn have each three different play styles, one of which is ranged, other close allowing for diversity amongst players with the same heros,.

Each heroes will have there own suits, which span the entire history they were in comics, there mostly favourite costume will be yours to don, Mafia hulk is one of them, or the costume where thor was first created.

You also get your own Hela-Carrier, that has shops on I know that and you also have to do the thing up, giving players extra stuff to do.l, i do not know to much about this, the devs largely kept it secret 

Each Hero does have its own story and while they will be single player the base game has four player co op that is called warzone where I have to say action looks like it gets a little crazy.

Have also noticed that you can do team ups between heroes if you both work on an enemy together.

The game itself is very colourful, it stands out and its created by none other than the dev team who created the recent tomb raider games (Crystal Dynamics) which they are a very good dev team in recent years.

There were many Avengers, the list goes on for a minimum of sixty years or more, so at anytime they could bring anyone of them in, yes some may be free others maybe paid content but if you enjoy the game why not at??

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 22:27, Chindie said:

First real extended discussion of the multiplayer.

I still think there's a good game in here but the Destiny loot'em up aspects worry me still.

Man your kidding destiny style loot em ups?

Say it isnt so

There's an emphasis on customising the characters and making each hero your own with equipment loot that affects stats and abilities, and skins.

They want the game to be a long running service game with the plan being to add in heroes over time and presumably do expansions, new missions etc. The single player content is not really the point. Which is a shame as there's the potential for a really great single player game here.

Hell I'd be down for a service game that offered long running single player content. New campaigns, missions, characters etc every month, 2 months, whatever, I'd be well up for that. But the commitment to do that isn't viable. They'll struggle to regularly put out characters alone, and they'll mostly be supplemented by cookie cutter multiplayer scenarios you can guarantee.

• Like 1

Just an update on this game, that Crystal Dynamics have stated that all heroes will be free and there will be a post launch DLC with Hawkeye as free. Crystal have shown off some gameplay footage now and it looks like there will be a fair few modes to the game. It's not been confirmed but there is speculation that even Villains may be playable characters, now that would be ace. CD have confirmed that some missions could take upto 2 hours to complete, which makes ne wonder if they are adding four players raid or dungeons for very rare equipment. 

For those that have Preordered the deluxe game you will get to play on the 1st of September while those that buy standard edition will play on 4th of september.

There will be a closed Beta on all platforms at different dates beginning which means you will of had to preorder the game. The playstation BETA (do not know the beta date), then the xbox and pc beta date arrives 14th of august then an open beta date to everyone on 20th of August (I think)

I do think this is one game I will probably not mind buying a costume or two for my fav heroes to wreck the city with.

Have Preordered it, is a must have for me.

They have announced all hero will be free DLC content.

I think people are wrong with the way they think  Crystal Dynamics will charge for everything, I do think they will charge for cosmetics but game changing equipment and items no no.

They may charge at most for an expansion down the line and for me that is fine if they have put in extra work and made more content that involves new features, more world that make the game biggerer and better.

After playing CDs tomb raiders it leaves me positive to know that this game will be in good hands, I played all there recent tombraiders on xbox and they were brilliant.

It does have a few borrowed destiny or Division like features from how gear is laid out button me that's ok. 

This to me will be a very good 4 player co op game with multiple modes.

Have Preordered it, is a must have for me.

They have announced all hero will be free DLC content.

I think people are wrong with the way they think  Crystal Dynamics will charge for everything, I do think they will charge for cosmetics but game changing equipment and items no no.

They may charge at most for an expansion down the line and for me that is fine if they have put in extra work and made more content that involves new features, more world that make the game biggerer and better.

After playing CDs tomb raiders it leaves me positive to know that this game will be in good hands, I played all there recent tombraiders on xbox and they were brilliant.

It does have a few borrowed destiny or Division like features from how gear is laid out button me that's ok. 

This to me will be a very good 4 player co op game with multiple modes.

The playstation closed beta is a few days before xbox. Xbox has its closed beta on 14th of august and pc maybe same time to those that have Preordered the deluxe version, on the 20th I think is the open beta to all platforms.

On 03/08/2020 at 18:41, Chindie said:

Spider-Man confirmed as a PlayStation exclusive add on character next year.

Pretty shitty of them really.

Not that I care too much as you wouldn't be able to pay me to play a superhero game. But essentially, PC and Xbox players are paying the same amount of money for less content. I understand it from a business perspective by Sony but it's incredibly shitty. Hate this type of thing. 

Surprised that you can't change character mid level, means there's no lego marvel-esque character skill set "puzzles" 

That might not be a bad thing but then I hope that's not linked to the multiplayer options (which I have no interest in) 

Still don't really see the appeal, looks a bit clunky and despite all the action not actually that interesting... Good reviews will sway me but if it reviews in the 6s or 7s I won't play it 

I played the beta and I was not impressed by what I played.

The game felt clunky and lacking polish. I enjoyed any section where I played as Captain America, I think how he has been designed makes for fun beat em' up gameplay, but the rest was rather uninspired. It also relies quite a bit on quick time events for the really "super" moments which doesn't appeal to me at all. 

I think the game will find its audience, I think massive Marvel fans won't give a shit and will enjoy this regardless. I'm personally not a massive Marvel fan in general so all the negative stuff stuck out to me way more.

I'm currently playing the beta on xbox one and I have to say that the game is pretty darn amazing.

The main story itself from what I gather is with MIss Marvel, then you get to the Kymera or Chymera however it is spelt. Once you get to your Helacarrier which becomes home you start assembling the Avengers back together. I will say first that this game on normal difficulty is challenging at times, especially if you dont have the right equipment that gives you resistance to whatever the enemy uses. Some missions are of a decent time completion others on the Beta take a fair bit longer. The graphics are lovely, frothy weather, to shading, to what you can see in the distance or right in front of you. Hero's have a fair bit of gear and that's just early game that I felt tour going to be able to make all kinds of builds. Game modes- there are way more than what I thought there would be and to be fair again they can be very challenging as even when I'd got used to it I felt like I was failing at times but wasnt bothered as I loved the challange. The games actions beyond brilliant, when it starts it's just all over the place and in your face. There are a massive array of different enemys with different abilities that give you enough crapthatcan put even the Hulk on his ass. Yeah most people think Hulk he will whoop that game and be a god, not so much, he can easily be taken down if your careless. The beta has a battle pass which is totally free, so that's good signs as there was all sorts to collect especially cosmetic skins.

If I were to say what needs adjusting for Marvel Avengers I would certainly say the camera could do with being zoomed out more. Not that I looked to see if it was possible but I felt that because of how much was happening on screen that sometimes it was tough to know what was around you. Another thing was that you feel when you want to search maps, open a puzzle door that leads to a possible fantastic bit of equipment or rewards, other players can and it only takes them to be impatient and move on, which in turn brings a timer up which forces you to move on also. That is not the end of the world because all you have to do is play solo and search areas out for there collectables and rewards.

Overall- Would I buy Marvel Avengers after playing the beta, hell and heck yeah it left me massively impressed and wanting the final product. Considering I was hating on the game so much after learning that spiderman was exclusive to playstation, now that I've played the beta if I'm honest I'm really not bothered that I wont be able to use him as the game is most enjoyable anyway.

I think the game will be brilliant and so long as the developers can release a new hero every month or two then gamers would have an heck of a roster considering Avengers themselves have hundreds and hundreds of hero's. 

Â