Set Pieces

mikeyp102

I think one of the most disappointing things about the game yesterday was our set pieces. Time after time we tried to play a short ball and work it into the box rather than crossing it in. It’s fine doing this once in a while but other times a good cross into the box works wonders. 

I’m not sure it’s even orders from the manager. Smith made a point of saying that he thinks goals from cbs are vital and in Mings and Engels we have two attacking defenders who can score. I think at times Jack and McGinn try to rush things as they see an opening or a chance. Yesterday there was even one corner taken before the cbs had even got into the box. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We were taking most of our corners as short corners last year as well. It's clearly the plan and I don't like it. 

Same.  Or, at least, I like it some of the time but let's actually **** cross the ball on occasion too.  Mix it up a bit!

• Like 2

And when we did play it long the delivery was terrible for the most part.

When our two dominant cbs get into the box we need to make the ball count. We are going to be relying on them for a fair few goals.

It does seem to be a weakness in our team unless we fields Hourihane. I recall McGinn passing it directly to a Bournemouth player. I don’t know if it was just a kind of panic situation but it also does my head in when a professional footballer can’t even beat the first man on a set piece. 

• 1 month later...

Christ our corners have bad this season. Even with Conor on today we just don’t deliver them into the box dangerously. Yes Burnley have a team of behemoth’s, but with wesley, Engels and Mings were a hardly short. I just don’t understand our thinking at times. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No idea if it's John Terry or someone else who is drilling us on defensive set pieces but we are horrible at it, probably the worst team in the PL.

It's a particularly bad situation as we commit quite a lot of fouls in dangerous areas and are also pretty poor in the air.

I'm not expecting us to become England at the last WC, but we must improve on set pieces, both attacking and defending.

"Easy" goals on both ends will add up over the season, we can't afford to give team this advantage.

1 minute ago, sne said:

No idea if it's John Terry or someone else who is drilling us on defensive set pieces but we are horrible at it, probably the worst team in the PL.

It's a particularly bad situation as we commit quite a lot of fouls in dangerous areas and are also pretty poor in the air.

I'm not expecting us to become England at the last WC, but we must improve on set pieces, both attacking and defending.

"Easy" goals on both ends will add up over the season, we can't afford to give team this advantage.

We should know we are poor at set pieces so when we have free kicks we should be playing low bouncing balls that our smaller players can win easier and make it harder for the defenders to read. Defensively we seem to have our entire team in the box no one was on the edge of the box to close down a shot.

Against Brighton I was really annoyed when targett skyed the free kick because after trez walked away he was on the edge of the box with no around him. Should have just played it to him and let him have a crack. 

Is it very much “old school” to have two players protecting either post now?  We clearly don’t do it, but can’t think if other sides in the Premier League still do?  

Last I can remember for us was Albrighton saving us about three or four certain goals a season doing it. 

• 3 months later...

What are we doing at set pieces?

I'm almost OK with us being crap at attacking set pieces (obviously I'm not really) but the way we set up and defend on set pieces is a parody.

It's not man marking and it's not quite zonal marking either. Mings who is our best player in the air is all over the place and nowhere at the same time.

We have short guys kinda following the opponents CB's, but not really.

It's an absolute mess and has been so for the whole season. It's just baffling. 

I don't know what Terry's role is with us but he must at least have noticed how poor we are and been able to offer some pointers?

Said it in the Smith thread.. If you just want to see how out of depth is he is at this level just take a look at our set piece defending all season. Our hilarious attempts to “defend” a corner is something that he hasn’t attempted to remotely resolve from the very first game. Easy to see why we are the worst team in defending them. 

I'll repeat the question I asked in the match thread:

I just don't understand how zonal marking can ever be good. 

Surely all the attack need to do is to work out which zone is being defended by the worst defensive header and put your best attacking header in that zone!  Am I missing something? Maybe why Mings is always marking no one and our smaller defenders seem to be marking giants. 

I don't care how good the team is, all teams have someone who is the weakest in the air. 

Surely on man to man marking you defend on your own terms.

In zonal marking you let the offence attack on their terms? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

On 10/03/2020 at 01:17, sidcow said:

I'll repeat the question I asked in the match thread:

I just don't understand how zonal marking can ever be good. 

Surely all the attack need to do is to work out which zone is being defended by the worst defensive header and put your best attacking header in that zone!  Am I missing something? Maybe why Mings is always marking no one and our smaller defenders seem to be marking giants. 

I don't care how good the team is, all teams have someone who is the weakest in the air. 

Surely on man to man marking you defend on your own terms.

In zonal marking you let the offence attack on their terms? 

I just don't understand why so many clubs go with Zonal Marking. It makes no sense to me at all. If the other team are pushing two six foot plus players forward it only make sense to have specific players mark them.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 20:37, sidcow said:

We were taking most of our corners as short corners last year as well. It's clearly the plan and I don't like it. 

I hate short corners. Always have. 

You drag your entire team into the oppositions box and you decide not to whip the ball in. Just bonkers. 

• Like 1

Â