Cup Final One of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

We’re due a win, I don’t think we’re playing badly, once we get that first league win, I think more will come. Our matches against Everton are usually entertaining and quite high scoring, I expect nothing different here

My team would be:

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Grealish

Trezeguet Wesley El Ghazi 

I expect the full backs to be changed, I don’t really understand why Smith has started Elmohamady and Taylor, although they haven’t done too badly. I just feel that with us being at home and the onus with us to attack, I feel that Guilbert and Targett would give us more attacking output

• Like 3

I looked at the fixture list earlier for our tough runs, and every single month seems tough in one way or another, whether it's playing clubs that are ahead of us, or nervy six-pointers. There isn't an easy fixture in this league, so we might as well win this ****. 

• Like 1

Tricky game, as they are are, but we have to show the determination to show we belong here. Cut out the errors and take the game to Everton. The moment heads start dropping and this team stop believing; thats when id start to worry. But DS wont allow that to happen, it was a very decent response to going 2 behind in the manner we did. There's heart in this team, get that win against a side like Everton and it could be just the catalyst we need to start believing in our abilities in this league.

Think we'll draw 1-1

Targett and Guilbert need to come in, if they dont I literally habe no idea what Deanos thinking is with our full backs.

Other than that the team should probably be the same?, the only other debate for me is el Ghazi/ jota.

Guilbert and Targett impressed pre season against inferior opposition but clearly haven’t convinced Smith in training that they can perform at the highest level at the moment. The other two with their premier league experience are currently doing well.

I'd keep the same team for this one. It's a tricky game, these are probably the seventh best team in the league and we'll need to be very solid at the back. I know it's not really in Smith's idiom, but a point would be a very good result here. We need to find a way to stop this team getting used to losing.

• Like 1

Need a win can't keep making excuses for every team we play, or before we know it we'll be cut adfrit. Yes Everton are a good team on their day, but a game against them and at VIlla Park is a game in which we should be targetting three points. A draw wouldn't be the worst result, even just getting our first point, and avoiding defeat for the first time this season, would be a start.

• Like 1

1-3.

Think Everton will just expose us in the final third, they have lots of quality in that area and also central midfield. Game where we really need the first goal if we want serious chance of winning.

Going back to start of March Everton have kept 8 clean sheets in last 14 league games so not a easy team to break down at all. I did hear Digne went off with injury so hopefully he's out as he's a very good LB. Delph injured aswell.

• Like 1

I think El Ghazi has struggled so far, so I expect Jota to come in over him. With that in mind and the way Jota likes to cut in, you have to have an overlapping fullback. So Guilbert comes in over Elmo (not a slight on Elmo, but his best work comes from crossing from deep).

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Taylor

Luiz 

McGinn Grealish

Jota           Wesley        Trez

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

1-3.

Think Everton will just expose us in the final third, they have lots of quality in that area and also central midfield. Game where we really need the first goal if we want serious chance of winning.

Going back to start of March Everton have kept 8 clean sheets in last 14 league games so not a easy team to break down at all. I did hear Digne went off with injury so hopefully he's out as he's a very good LB. Delph injured aswell.

1-3 at home to Everton, that brings back a bad memory, I was at Paul Lambert's first home game (horrible day, 0-3 down at half-time, boo). 😢Really hope we don't lose to them this time! :s

Would love to get a point just to get something on the board to boost the boys’ confidence. Sooner or later, praising good performances that still result in losses needs to stop. Everton are good, but on our day and especially at VP we are very competitive.

I’ll be curious to see what Dean does with our fullbacks. Guilbert and Targett were solid in preseason, so it makes no sense to me why they haven’t even been available as bench players the first two matches. I say start both of them, if nothing else just to see what they offer. I find it hard to believe they aren’t superior options to Elmo and Taylor, but something seems to be going on behind the scenes that is preventing them from getting the nod.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd keep the same team for this one. It's a tricky game, these are probably the seventh best team in the league and we'll need to be very solid at the back. I know it's not really in Smith's idiom, but a point would be a very good result here. We need to find a way to stop this team getting used to losing.

I'm with you on this, definitely not a time to introduce new players either, with maybe one exception. 

I would be tempted with Guilbert as he seems a bit better all round than Elmo which may help defensively. 

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think El Ghazi has struggled so far, so I expect Jota to come in over him. With that in mind and the way Jota likes to cut in, you have to have an overlapping fullback. So Guilbert comes in over Elmo (not a slight on Elmo, but his best work comes from crossing from deep).

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Taylor

Luiz 

McGinn Grealish

Jota           Wesley        Trez

agree with this 100% I would even consider dropping Grealish for Nakamba as Everton will bully us in midfield and we need more physicality.

Edited by VillanousOne

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wouldn't. It's clear we're struggling with our fullbacks not helping out offensively. Having a defensive mindset won't help us here. If we are to survive it's by winning matches and scoring goals, not grabbing 1 pointers at home or avoiding heavy losses. Targett and Guilbert in. If it doesn't work just make changes by subs. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Keep same team. No point overreacting to an unlucky result against Bournemouth.

Elmo and Taylor have done nothing to warrant being dropped, and Guilbert and Targett are overrated by a lot of people on here on the basis of a few pre-season games.

• Like 2