Rugby World Cup 2019

mikeyp102

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Look how massive the Scotland win was now. If we lost we'd be out now. Japan are funny. Great, emerging side but could conceivably lose to Samoa and Scotland in their remaining games.

That’s what happened to them last World Cup when they beat South Africa but missed out on qualifying for the knockout rounds. 

Since then though they have been exposed to a lot more first class rugby with more frequent matches against Australia and NZ and a franchise team in the Super Rugby comp (though I think that team has now been axed again 🙄)

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Said before its like the England 2000s Golden Generation. All hype

Eh? Have I misunderstood this? Is it a typo? That hyped team won the World Cup.

Anyway, congratulations to Japan. It would be great to see them win the group and have a rematch with the Boks in the quarters. 

Wow just woke up to see the result. Amazing for Japan as the hosts. Hopefully they beat Samoa and progress through. Will do wonders for the sport over there. Wonder if they would extend the rugby Championship for them to join? May be a bit difficult logistically for the players crossing hemispheres, but it’s hardly like the other nations are close to each other. 

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wow just woke up to see the result. Amazing for Japan as the hosts. Hopefully they beat Samoa and progress through. Will do wonders for the sport over there. Wonder if they would extend the rugby Championship for them to join? May be a bit difficult logistically for the players crossing hemispheres, but it’s hardly like the other nations are close to each other. 

Isn't there talk of the franchise they have in super rugby folding? That's not good. Well there is definetely more merit for Japan to join a rugby championship than Georgia to join a six nations. Japan have beaten Ireland and south africa now in consecutive world cups. The issue with them is consistency. Worth remembering that after they beat south africa 4 years ago they were comfortably beaten by Scotland after that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

They should expand the Southern Hemisphere tri nations tourno to include Argentina, Japan and one of Tonga, Samoa and Fiji. 

Argentina is already part of it (it’s called the ‘Rugby Championship’ instead of the tri nations now that there are 4 teams). 

It’s difficult from a logistics point of view to keep including more teams from around the world. It’s a 12 hour flight to Japan from Australia to Japan and longer than that from Argentina, New Zealand or South Africa.

Also the Pacific Island teams are minnows compared with the other countries. They would realistically need to play as a combined Pacific Island team to be competitive year in year out (like the West Indies do in the cricket) but I think they are all fiercely competitive island nations that would have no real support as a combined team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Argentina is already part of it (it’s called the ‘Rugby Championship’ instead of the tri nations now that there are 4 teams). 

It’s difficult from a logistics point of view to keep including more teams from around the world. It’s a 12 hour flight to Japan from Australia to Japan and longer than that from Argentina, New Zealand or South Africa.

Also the Pacific Island teams are minnows compared with the other countries. They would realistically need to play as a combined Pacific Island team to be competitive year in year out (like the West Indies do in the cricket) but I think they are all fiercely competitive island nations that would have no real support as a combined team. 

I think we are eventually going towards a world league type system which will see the six nations and rugby championship binned. It was proposed this year by world rugby but the six nations dug their heels in and it got scrapped but if Japan keep doing what they did today then the elite competitions outside the world cup calender can't be a closed shop no more.

1 minute ago, JB said:

They’ll always be my rugby equivalent of Small Heath but hats off to them. Fair play for holding on as the Aussies were relentless second half. 

Huge win for them. They'll win the pool now and in all likelihood set up a QF against France or Argentina.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Huge win for them. They'll win the pool now and in all likelihood set up a QF against France or Argentina.

Funny thing is that England and France might both be happy to lose their final game against each other and finish second in the group if it means avoiding Australia and then NZ in the next two rounds. 

46 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Funny thing is that England and France might both be happy to lose their final game against each other and finish second in the group if it means avoiding Australia and then NZ in the next two rounds. 

Seen Austin Healey mention something to that effect. England might need to beat France though. I don't think they'll have it all their own way against Argentina next weekend. It's last chance saloon for Argentina so they'll be bang up for it.

Â