Rugby World Cup 2019

mikeyp102

England yesterday were very clinical and the defence were awesome. Dug deep when needed and showed their quality in the final third. Think we can play better than that as well. 

New Zealand were just awesome, Ireland couldn’t get near them. 

Next week will be a huge game, neither team look to dominate possession but both can hurt the opposition. I hope we can step up and really push the Kiwis, I think it’ll be one step too far though. 

In the other semi it will be a very forward dominated game. South Africa showed today that they know how to do the dirty work and grind teams down. Will be very close and either team could win. Just hope it’s not the Welsh 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Looks likely to be a NZ / SA rematch for the final which is a bit boring.

If anyone in this tournament can beat NZ it’s probably England though.

The England / NZ semi next week would have made a more interesting final IMO. 

England won't get near NZ. 

• Like 1

England have a tactical discipline that can frustrate a team like NZ and NZ are not unbeatable. We (Australia) put nearly 50 points past them a few months ago.

NZ are favourites of course (and we’re heavy favourites before the tournament started) but I think if any team can get something from the match against them it would be England.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

England have a tactical discipline that can frustrate a team like NZ and NZ are not unbeatable. We (Australia) put nearly 50 points past them a few months ago.

NZ are favourites of course (and we’re heavy favourites before the tournament started) but I think if any team can get something from the match against them it would be England.

They have an offload and passing game that's pretty much unrivalled. What makes NZ so hard to play against is they play heads up rugby. The play it as it's unfolding. Too many Northern Hemisphere sides look like they are playing it off a manual. I agree that England are a much better side than Ireland and have been in good form for many months now. The much vaunted duo of Curry and Underhill will have to bring a level of performance that trumps anything they've bought before. If they let let savea, cane and read dictate there - game over. If they get platform, quick ruck ball they'll hurt England big time on the scoreboard. 

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

If England perform to their best, they can match anyone. 

its a big ask against NZ but not the impossible victory as some are predicting. 

If they don't get beaten up up front and in the back row ( England have a very solid 1 to 8 ) they'll give themselves a chance anyway. NZ punced holes through Ireland, quick ball and clinical out wide.

• Like 1

For some reason, I’m the most confident I’ve ever been going into a game against the ABs. Which isn’t to say that I think we’ll win - I don’t. I think we’ll most likely lose but I’ve just got a feeling that there’s something about our game that will rattle the Kiwis. We seem to be peaking. If our heads are right then there won’t be much in it. 

• Like 1

Word on France. Would they of held out with Wales that close to the line for 5 mins? Probably not, but they've gone out to a shocker of a call there. If you aren't giving that forward then you really shouldn't be reffing a RWC QF.

From an Irish perspective, should i be worried about Farrell taking over ? He's a highly regarded coach within the IRFU but ive just this feeling especially with his league background, that it's gonna be gym rat type players smashing the gain line, looking for collision constantly.

48 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Word on France. Would they of held out with Wales that close to the line for 5 mins? Probably not, but they've gone out to a shocker of a call there. If you aren't giving that forward then you really shouldn't be reffing a RWC QF.

I’m glad that wasn’t just me that thought that. It looked clearly forward when he ripped it. I’m sure that either the TMO or the ref said something along the lines of “It’s gone behind him so it’s fine.” Yes, it went behind him but his back was facing the French line!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

From an Irish perspective, should i be worried about Farrell taking over ? He's a highly regarded coach within the IRFU but ive just this feeling especially with his league background, that it's gonna be gym rat type players smashing the gain line, looking for collision constantly.

It’s a hard one to call, don’t think he’s ever been head coach before, and so don’t know what his style of play will be. He is renowned for his defensive work, and a fast line speed, so you’d imagine that would definitely be part of his style, but attacking wise, who knows.

Interesting Kiwi selection of Scott Barrett in the back row. Seems to suggest that Hansen expects England to kick it a lot and wants an extra option at the line out.

I can’t wait for this game.

24 minutes ago, JB said:

Interesting Kiwi selection of Scott Barrett in the back row. Seems to suggest that Hansen expects England to kick it a lot and wants an extra option at the line out.

I can’t wait for this game.

Cane is a hell of an option to have in the match day 23th. It's probably the bench that wins this for NZ to be fair.

19 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Cane is a hell of an option to have in the match day 23

Absolutely. That’s kind of my point. There must be a plan in mind if they’re leaving him on the bench in favour of playing a lock in the back row. It’s most likely the line out. Either they expect us to kick it a lot or they’re planning on kicking it a lot and attacking our line out. Or both.

Buzzing for the game tomorrow. It’s going to close but I think NZ may have too much for us. To win we all have to be on point. Wilson on the bench for England over Ludlum is a strange one. Not surprised with farrell and Ford, we will be looking to kick. I think a drop goal could be a tactic England employ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Buzzing for the game tomorrow. It’s going to close but I think NZ may have too much for us. To win we all have to be on point. Wilson on the bench for England over Ludlum is a strange one. Not surprised with farrell and Ford, we will be looking to kick. I think a drop goal could be a tactic England employ

Farrell in midfield is a good call. He minds the ball well, won't be bullied or get turned over easy when he's tackled. I think this was always the plan regardless of whether they won well or scrapped through against Australia. I'd like to see Ford drop some high ball on Reece. Could have some success there. All said and done though, think NZ will have just a bit too much rugby for them in what i think will be a cracking game. NZ by 10.

On 24/10/2019 at 19:06, JB said:

Absolutely. That’s kind of my point. There must be a plan in mind if they’re leaving him on the bench in favour of playing a lock in the back row. It’s most likely the line out. Either they expect us to kick it a lot or they’re planning on kicking it a lot and attacking our line out. Or both.

Barrett has deceptively quick and fast hands. That's the thing with the all blacks. The forwards can make passes a fly half could make. They can all play.

Obviously. But that won’t be why they’ve picked him in the back row for the first time in his career. He mangled our line out when he came on in the second half in November. Retallick and Whitelock are undroppable so they’ve squeezed him into the back row so he can do it from the start this time. They’ve got three massive options to throw to/disrupt, now. 

• Like 1

Â