Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager;s Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/19 at 22:59

Given that we shot ourselves in each foot so early, I thought we showed good strength of character to fight our way back into it.  The players are still getting to know each other so will surely get better with time...whether this will happen fast enough is a tough question.

Our set piece delivery was really poor today and this is what we are going to rely on for half our goals so that has to improve quickly. Jack obviously didn't have his boots on today but still had two of our best chances and should have at least hit the target with both. Wesley showed a lot more today than last week - I think he will come good - but AEG was a let-down again, don't know what other options we have there.

Elmo played well, but he had a giveaway late in the game that was identical to the one he gifted Lucas at the beginning of the Spurs game.  He could easily have been the goat in both games.

We were the better team and should've won but very very silly mistakes cost us. 

The question for this game was can we compete with teams like Bournemouth who have comfortably survived in this league and this game unquestionably showed we can. Unfortunately shooting ourselves in the foot just leaves us bitterly disappointed and piling pressure on us for the next game because we HAVE to start getting points on the board now. 

Thought we were the better side for most of the game but two catastrophic mistakes cost us along with very poor play in front of goal.

The ref was awful and not since Stoke City have I seen a side more ready to try to con the ref and go down with ‘injuries’.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

They played Jota , Guilbert and Targett all summer and we looked decent. I can't help but feel Smith has left points on the table for the sake of keeping Taylor and Elmo happy .

Our season starts when Guilbert does IMO.

I think he’s done it to maintain the balance of last season and not risk unfamiliarity, but after two losses he now has a license to make any changes

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I think he’s done it to maintain the balance of last season and not risk unfamiliarity, but after two losses he now has a license to make any changes

Yeah who cares about familiarity if we are losing anyway, may as well get the best team out there and let them gel.

Just now, thunderball said:

Would be an OK move if we never got promoted . You can't play one up front at home with full backs who play conservatively . 

If Elmo and Taylor play against Everton then I expect another 90 minutes of attacks coming to abrupt halts.

We have to be braver, especially at VP against the bottom 14 teams.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Only time will tell mate. I’m not saying you’re wrong by the way, I just think almost anything can happen. 

True.

I just don’t see where the goals are coming from. We also look very slow on the ball with no sense of urgency.

It’s early days but with the exception of a couple I don’t think we have enough quality players. 

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

he two fullbacks played well and deserve their places right now,

They played OK but they are detrimental to the whole way we are set up to play . They deserve benching IMO and if they start next game I expect another bad result.

There was zero chemistry between AEG and Taylor and even less between Elmo and Trezeguet.

We won't win enough games with those two at fullback and I'm surprised their vanilla performances today have blinded people from seeing that . 

Both of them are momentum killers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

They played OK but they are detrimental to the whole way we are set up to play . They deserve benching IMO and if they start next game I expect another bad result.

There was zero chemistry between AEG and Taylor and even less between Elmo and Trezeguet.

We won't win enough games with those two at fullback and I'm surprised their vanilla performances today have blinded people from seeing that . 

Both of them are momentum killers.

I'd have started last week with Guilbert and Target - but both of the old boys are playing well at the moment. I'm not an Elmo fan, but I have him down as man of the match today - he was a constant source of pressing, attacking intent down the right hand side and for me he has a great chemistry with Trezeguet - I think it's the chemistry that got him into the side last week, but his form will surely keep him in it. I don't think you can drop either of them on current form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I thought we looked fantastic and dominated the game after 12 mins. Give this team some time to gel and get used to the PL and we'll be very comfortable.

I agree but not sure we will be comfortable even when we find our feet it will be a close call on relegation and that's to be  expected.

I was pleased with our reaction after going 2-0 down, we could have easily collapsed but we didn't, we pushed and pushed strongly and with a bit of luck could have drawn or even won the game, the ref saved Bournemouth by not punishing a stupid challenge or two , it was an easy call for him to ignore it but we can't blame him for the loss when we gave goals away .

• Like 1

You can’t fault Taylor at the moment. The last two games he played well. He’s certainly a grafter. I honestly thought he would be a massive liability in the prem. He’s not much good going forward mind, and that showed at times today. I would have brought Targett on the last 15-20 mins.

Playing reasonably well and still losing is only going to end badly.

Think I'll put off my first visit to VP for a few years for a little longer.Watching us lose at home REALLY **** irks me and not having to do it for several years has improved my general mental health.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think you can drop either of them on current form.

Which is the sort of decision Bruce would make TBH  . I thought we had a manager who wanted to attack the opposition ?  We can't persist with a team full of attackers whose "go to" move is to cut inside without having fullbacks that overlap to pull defenders out of position .  Elmo and Taylor may do it once or twice but there's no doubt in my mind that Guilbert and Targett will be much better at it .  

We need to be ruthless and get our best footballers on the field ASAP  I would drop them in a heartbeat because we have 2  much better options available. Every good team in this league have fullbacks who can masquerade as wingers. Taylor and Elmo are one paced and predictable and that is stifling the team as a unit.   

We have gone into two fights with one hand tied behind our backs IMO and I hope Smith is now forced into ditching the sentimentality.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Elmo and Trezeguet work well together down that right side. 

Better than Jota and Guilbert ?

We can't settle for "works well" when we have "works better" available.

Â