Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager;s Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/19 at 22:59

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Individual mistakes cost you points in this league...  When you make 4-5 massive mistakes as a team in the first 20 minutes, you're pretty much going to be throwing away 3 points that game.  Also, the ref not red carding Billing for continuous fouling was egregious.  

Pros:

• Apart from Heaton's mistake, our back 5 has looked incredibly solid over the past two games. 
  • McGinn is made for the Premier League.  His tenacity is going to catch so many opposition plays off guard.
  • I thought Trezeguet was going to be a dud, but he's looked impressive so far, just needs some end product to his hard work.

Cons:

• El Ghazi has been extremely poor - worst player on the pitch in both the Spurs & Bournemouth games.  Needs to step it up because we're basically playing with 10 men right now.
  • Grealish needs to do more.  Needs to get forward & take risks.  He's been impressive defensively, but we sorely need his forward drive and ability to get forward from the midfield.
  • The lack of forward depth is already showing...  We don't have good options off the bench if we need to make a pacy change, and it's going to cost us points. 

Couldn’t have summarised it better 

7 minutes ago, barryvilla said:

We need quality off the bench in games like this and that we don't have. I don't think Kodija would of made a difference today either. I've a feeling it could be a long few months till the January window but I hope I'm wrong. 

Someone should be on the phone right now offering Sturridge & his stupid dog whatever he wants to come in at least until Jan. He might be a miserable arse but scores & creates goals.

• Like 1

Can't gift any team 2 goals in this league, defences are too good at holding out against better teams than villa. We played some nice stuff at times but in reality we were very impotent up front, even our goal had to be a long range worldy. Too many careless passes from all over the pitch including mcginn and Grealish, Grealish I think looks like his confidence was knocked in the spurs game even tho i thought he actually played well until his mistake caused the goal, was poor today, struggling with the pace of the prem but his class will prevail. Douglas's passing was great but he did seem to get out muscled from time to time, in hindsight Hourihanes set pieces could have been vital today. 

• Like 1

Didn't see the game but disappointed to lose and Everton next Friday will probably be tougher, we desperately need to get some points on the board before it's too late. Having said that, Palace lost their opening seven games a couple of seasons back and still stayed up so there is time and we obviously have a lot of new players. But the longer we don't pick up any points the harder it will be. 

Not sure why Smith continues to play Elmo and Taylor, I guess he doesn't want to meddle with the back four too much but these guys are not PL level it's as simple as that. And when you have two younger, fresher, better quality options not playing it does make you wonder. 

I don't know how Wesley did today but looks as though he's gonna struggle in this league and it does make you wonder why we didn't sign another striker or invest a bit more into someone a bit more proven at this level with a better striker rate. 

Anyway, Everton home on Friday live on Sky Sports. Let's try to stay positive - still think we can stay up but we could really do with getting something against Everton, even just a point. 

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not sure why Smith continues to play Elmo and Taylor, I guess he doesn't want to meddle with the back four too much but these guys are not PL level it's as simple as that.

Taylor was excellent today to be fair, Elmo was ok. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Didn't see the game but disappointed to lose and Everton next Friday will probably be tougher, we desperately need to get some points on the board before it's too late. Having said that, Palace lost their opening seven games a couple of seasons back and still stayed up so there is time and we obviously have a lot of new players. But the longer we don't pick up any points the harder it will be.

It's not impossible to come back from an awful start but it doesn't help. Hell Newcastle stayed up with relative ease last year despite not winning a game until november and a record of w0 d3 l7 from their first 10 games

• Like 2

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

He's already scored for Brighton, another lower half team and wanted to come. Our strike options look flaccid.

As I said, I wanted him here and was very vocal about it, and respect your view, but don’t think that is what is missing. I don’t see him scoring today either, it’s something else that missing or not clicking.

Maupay didn’t score today in fact he missed a dead cert today to win the game, he also hasn’t been deemed good enough to start so far for goal shy Brighton.

For me it’s too easy a conclusion at this stage.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

As I said, I wanted him here and was very vocal about it, and respect your view, but don’t think that is what is missing. I don’t see him scoring today either, it’s something else that missing or not clicking.

Maupay didn’t score today in fact he missed a dead cert today to win the game, he also hasn’t been deemed good enough to start so far for goal shy Brighton.

For me it’s too easy a conclusion at this stage.

I didn't say he was the answer, I referred to our flaccid options. He would have been an option. Doesn't look like we have any dangerous ones at the minute.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Luiz IS the player we hoped, 1 stupid error but after that showed his quality & grew into the game. Grealish not performing at the level he should be, hoping the hype hasn’t gone to his head. Real doubts about AEG as a starter, wish we’d paid the money for Benrahma. SJM is flipping marvellous. Worry about where the goals are coming from, Wesley got a pass against Spurs but didn’t impress today. We bought Guilbert & Targett for a reason, I’d like to see them both in ASAP.

We were the better team for most of the game, but ill-discipline will cost us every time. Hope we play our genuine best XI against Everton & stick with it. 

Points today would have been great but I’m not worried, I just hope Deano goes for revolution not evolution sooner than later. 

Spot on. 

Saw enough there to show we can boss games and make chances. Just need to stay putting them away and hope refs start punishing red card offences 

• Like 2

If we're going to play this way I'm not sure how we will squeeze Nakamba, Luiz, McGinn and Grealish in to the same midfield.

Unless we can push Grealish out to LF. To be honest I'd rather we play Jed Steer at LF instead of El Ghazy at the moment.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Spot on. 

Saw enough there to show we can boss games and make chances. Just need to stay putting them away and hope refs start punishing red card offences 

I have no idea how Bournemouth started the 2nd half with eleven men. 

• Like 2

Â