Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager;s Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/19 at 22:59

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

No idea where people are getting the idea that Smith is selecting Elmo and Taylor out of “loyalty”. If he really is valuing that above form or suitability for  the style he wants to play, it doesn’t say much about him as a manager.

Naively I was assuming he selected players according to how well they showed in training and his well he thought they could deliver what he wanted on the pitch. Now I find it’s just an old pals act. Where does that idea even come from? Does it have any actual basis in reality?

I am not going to second guess......but i see a team who has full backs who are tentative and afraid of hunting the ball down as a liabitity.....despite their ability  to do as they are told and stay tight......its just simply not enough, and I would feel confident of telling Dean to his face.

42 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Difficult start of the season for you to take. In both games Villa played well for the vast majority of the matches , albeit a defensive mode at Spurs. Unfortunately in both games 10 minutes were the undoing of the side. Yesterday it was always going to be difficult having given a 2 goal start.

I am sure the management team will be stressing concentration for the whole 90 minutes as in the top league you cannot switch off for a moment. The team are still gelling so there are positives to be taken even though no points have been taken yet. Once the team gel together I am sure there are enough signs for the rest of the season. to give encouragement although there are no "easy" games in the Premier League.

The game is a lot about team confidence so a couple of good results should see that build and as fans who have been through an awful lot of good and bad times I know you will stick by the side and support them all the way. 

Heres hoping the luck goes with you in the next game and kickstarts the season.👍

We don't need luck, we need competence.....sorry for appearing to be harsh, but reality has to kick in.

I am sure ,like you, management will be on the money at BMH on monday and a few home truths will be said......this league is no picnic, it requires players who have a desire and a selfish streak to succeed....its a battle, not a passive trip of acceptance that I am now a premiership player.....not only do you have to get the technical side right like positional play and moving off the ball, passing accurately and understanding where each other is.....but you have show physicality and deny another player the ability to out muscle you....you have to stand up and fight....and play a game of football that hurts the opposition, not just go through the motions.

I am not young....I have seen Ron Saunders do it....yes many moons ago........it has to be emulated.

We have a lot to learn.

Edited by TRO

You are not being  harsh towards me TRO, you, understandably,  are  just like many Villa fans, desperate for them to do well.

I believe a little luck is always needed, no matter who you are. I too saw Ron Saunders side develop but the times were different back then with not the squad rotations and money differentials of the modern game etc and Villa feared nobody. First games I saw were in the old third division in the old witton lane end ......how times have changed!

As I said no games will be easy and patience is key and hopefully that desire and fight will come into the players, especially if the management team do their job.............easy for me to say I know.....

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

Having attended the game I appear to have watched a different one. Apart from bad mistake and some bad luck we battered a good premier league team. I thought Wesley was better but I don't see a huge amount of goals coming from him (hope I'm wrong though). Our central defence looks solid, I think Mings will be a star here, never seems to panic. Douglas looks ok too, cracking goal. Jack hasn't been great but not as bad as some people are saying, El Ghazi has been disappointing and needs to improve. McGinn is the perfect player for this league,150% every game.

On a different subject, who on earth has fitted that new screen on the away end. looks like it was installed on Saturday morning by a dodgy bloke called Barry and his 12 year old son. Totally wrong angle

• Like 2

On 17/08/2019 at 17:02, Spoony said:

How were we better? They completely contained us and we barely looked threatening. They almost got a third. 

If they almost got a third then we almost got a second third fourth and fifth.  You need to watch the extended highlights back.

Could have... would have... should have...

14 pages in three tropes.

Reasons to be cheerful and positive. Reasons to be disappointed.

On the subject of 'doing a Fulham,' they lost their first home game to Palace 0-2. They lost their second game away (at Wembley) to Spurs 3-1... But they won at home 4-2 against Burnley in the third game. So, Everton, watch out. (Apples and pears, I know, I know).

On a different day, it is possible that we could have won that game - chances, possession, pressure.

On a different day, Heaton is awake in minute 1, Billings is sent off for a second yellow (not what VAR is there for folks, so can't blame it for Billings unless any of them were straight red offences that were missed) and we would have a chance of winning the game.

Definitely should have signed another striker.

But we had a great summer, we cheered every signing - writing them off after two games is therefore churlish in the extreme. Disappointed by the result, of course I am... there was a chance to make a solid marker there and earn one if not three points. Wasn't to be, our Villa bus was still on jacks for the opening quarter of an hour. Let's not forget, Bournemouth still had chances to further their lead as we chased and fought. Could easily have been 3-3. Seemingly they should have had a penalty... could easily have been 3-4.

Still positive... still behind Dean and the team. We need to score more goals and concede less. We can't spend all season eulogising about our team if they concede two or three goals a week and blame 'lady luck.' If we end up doing that, we will be relegated. Let's hope we can get something out of the Everton game other than an 'unlucky defeat.' New season positivity doesn't last forever.

I was away over the weekend so didn't get a chance to watch the game live. I did keep up with it here and on Twitter. As with most sports this game hinged on a few key moments. None of these points are criticisms, just discussion. 

1. Heaton kicks a striker that is knocking the ball out for a goal kick 40 seconds in. 
  2. Douglas steps over a ball in his own half and Wilson takes what I'd call a speculative shot from distance which deflects off Mings and in off the post. 
  3. Billing should have seen 3 yellow cards in the first half. Somehow missed by the ref. 
  4. Ake does well to clear a Trez shot off the line. 
  5. McGinn has a few decent chances to get a goal back.
  6. Big Wes could had a pen for an awkward challenge from the keeper, not unlike the pen given in the first min. 
  7. Jack misses an easy header from 4 yards out.
  8. Douglas scores a screamer.
  9. Bournmouth could have a pen for a kick by Trez.  

I'm not 100% on the order but for me they are the big 9 points of the game. Poor judgement and a bit of bad luck meant Bournemouth scored from 1 and 2. We could have scored from 4, 5, 6, and 7. But we didn't and that is the difference, when you make chances you have to put them away. The fact is will not make this number of chances in every game so we have to be ruthless. For me the heard Jack missed is criminal. At a time we needed a lift that has to hit the back of the net. 

I think Everton on Friday night will be a much tougher game. They have real talent in midfield and good pace on the break. 

56 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Could have... would have... should have...

14 pages in three tropes.

Reasons to be cheerful and positive. Reasons to be disappointed.

On the subject of 'doing a Fulham,' they lost their first home game to Palace 0-2. They lost their second game away (at Wembley) to Spurs 3-1... But they won at home 4-2 against Burnley in the third game. So, Everton, watch out. (Apples and pears, I know, I know).

On a different day, it is possible that we could have won that game - chances, possession, pressure.

On a different day, Heaton is awake in minute 1, Billings is sent off for a second yellow (not what VAR is there for folks, so can't blame it for Billings unless any of them were straight red offences that were missed) and we would have a chance of winning the game.

Definitely should have signed another striker.

But we had a great summer, we cheered every signing - writing them off after two games is therefore churlish in the extreme. Disappointed by the result, of course I am... there was a chance to make a solid marker there and earn one if not three points. Wasn't to be, our Villa bus was still on jacks for the opening quarter of an hour. Let's not forget, Bournemouth still had chances to further their lead as we chased and fought. Could easily have been 3-3. Seemingly they should have had a penalty... could easily have been 3-4.

Still positive... still behind Dean and the team. We need to score more goals and concede less. We can't spend all season eulogising about our team if they concede two or three goals a week and blame 'lady luck.' If we end up doing that, we will be relegated. Let's hope we can get something out of the Everton game other than an 'unlucky defeat.' New season positivity doesn't last forever.

So far the best reason I've heard, that we could win.

• Like 1

Still hard to understand how an experienced goalkeeper can **** up to the degree Heaton did. Remember thinking when watching it happen, "No that's a bad idea, stay back, nothing will happen here" still be goes and does that, despite being apparantly one of the best in the business. Just can't understand it. 

We need Wesley to settle faster than this.  It takes some players longer than others, but we can't afford to be carrying a passenger up front.  He has been garbage for 2 games now.  He needs to do better because we will suffer if he doesn't.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 06:55, chappy said:

Finally, it was great to be back and I’m really happy with my new seat. However, I appear to be surrounded by several ‘characters’ who expect us to be challenging for the title already. Some of the negativity was astounding today. I really hope people can get a sense of perspective and give the players time. We had a lot more depressing games and performances last season than the two we’ve witnessed so far! I’ve seen nothing to suggest we’ll get relegated, do I hope everyone calms down a bit! Unfortunately, for one reason or another, I can’t make the next few home games, hopefully we’ll have picked up some points by the time I’m back and I might be surrounded by a bit more positivity.

This will not change. those 'characters' will not get a sense of perspective unfortunately.

I saw a good performance that went unrewarded for various reasons.

The bloke behind me shouted about not playing out from the back because "yow ay good enough" and when we had a brief discussion at half time about how the second half might go, no one around shared my opinion that we could definitely win this game.

Like it or not people love to spout doom and gloom and seem almost to enjoy being proven right!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd drop jack for the next game and play luiz, sjm and nakamba.  He needs a kick up the arse as he is coasting.

Would also drop aeg, but for who? Letting green go without bringing another in looks like an error to me regardless of his ability.  A poor player (not saying he is) is better than no player.

Think both fullbacks should be changed too as tayls and elmos crossing has been poor and it looks to me that having the fullbacks get crosses 8n is a major part of how we want to play and i think guilbert and targett are better at that.

Bringing in guilbert could mean elmo moves out wide instead of aeg, might work.

I can see why Ming's was let go by Bournemouth, they have two outstanding central defenders who blocked nearly every shot and played extremely well, best defensive performance I have seen for some time . They could do without a keeper with that  pair performing like they did ,  exceptional . 

On 18/08/2019 at 14:37, TRO said:

If we are going to rely on goals from midfield, we need holding players like Luiz and Nakamba in the team......then jack and john can play the channels and link with Wes or whoever.....Jack and John are too deep.

I know Jack likes to get on the ball, but he has to realise he can't do everything, players must be able to do their own job......He needs to stop drifting and play a structured game where he can be found and not have to travel far to hurt the opposition.

Players like Harry Wilson and Mason Mount, score more goals than Jack, I think Jack is better......but ,if he wants to be the player we all think he is, he needs to hurt teams more with goals and to do that he needs to be in the right position on the field more often than not.

I agree, but we would need to change shape at the minute to achieve this to a diamond probably with:

------------- Nakamba -------------

Dougie ------------------ McGinn

---------------- Jack ------------------

Wes ------------------ Davis/Trez

I would love to see us give this a go BUT would defo need Targett and Guilbert in to provide pace and width on the flanks.

I just can't see Smith trying this though - he is very dogmatic with his 4-3-3.

Its also interesting in the current team that he seems to want Jack to sit deep and SJM to be the one that gets forward.  If we are sticking with the three, I would probably prefer it the other way around (to see Jack pushing on more) as I think his interplay is better and SJM brings more energy/box to box to the deeper position.

• Like 1

You absolutely cannot give anyone in this league a 2 goal start, we can pick apart the rest of the performance as much as we like but if we continue to make those kinds of mistakes we are going to lose a lot more than we win.

You cannot plan for your most experienced player to make a mistake like that in the first minute of a game, and I don't care if you get a shout or not, you do not step over the ball in your own third of the field, these are basic errors that have cost us, unforced errors.

The real shame is we utterly outplayed them for the rest of the game and there should be plenty to be excited about.

In both games, it's been 20 minute spells that have cost us, we've actually been good enough to win games, but we have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot, full concentration for the full 90 minutes or you get punished, that's the biggest lesson we have to learn in this league. I think it will come, but the quicker the better.

It's difficult when we are blooding the new players, I understand that, but time is not on our side, we have a horrible run at the end of November/beginning of December and we need to pick up as many points as we can before that comes along.

I'm still pretty confident we've got enough to do well, and I like a lot of what I have seen, we have been a little unlucky too, but we have no points. Somebody said it earlier, but the sooner we get some points on the board the better.

11 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I agree, but we would need to change shape at the minute to achieve this to a diamond probably with:

------------- Nakamba -------------

Dougie ------------------ McGinn

---------------- Jack ------------------

Wes ------------------ Davis/Trez

I would love to see us give this a go BUT would defo need Targett and Guilbert in to provide pace and width on the flanks.

I just can't see Smith trying this though - he is very dogmatic with his 4-3-3.

Its also interesting in the current team that he seems to want Jack to sit deep and SJM to be the one that gets forward.  If we are sticking with the three, I would probably prefer it the other way around (to see Jack pushing on more) as I think his interplay is better and SJM brings more energy/box to box to the deeper position.

makes sense.....but all comes down to opinions, as always.

I don't think Dean is dogmatic, in the way MON was.....I think he has his opinions and stays with them...If they have served him well, who am I to argue.

I think....If he thinks something is not working like he thought it would work ( giving reasonable time) I think he will review the situation.

Re-watched the game last night and other that the two obvious blunders that cost us we really weren't that bad Jack, SJM, Wesley and Taylor all had chances they really should have put away I think there needs to be some work on finishing at BMH this week! Saying that Bournemouth should have had a third when Fraser was one on one with Heaton and possible another penalty against Trez seen those given before.

The two stand out weak links for me were Al Ghazi and Wesley. Al Ghazi just doesn't seem up to speed yet and Wesley just doesn't seem a player I know it's early still for him but he isn't filling me with confidence....yet!

SJM was outstanding again but I think Trez and Elmo also had really good games.

We are trying to put to many crosses in when there is no one there to get on them, this was really annoying. I'd like to see a change to the 4-3-3 system to a 4-2-3-1 to be more direct through the centre of the park with Al ghazi dropped and Conor/Marvelous coming alongside Douglas Luiz, with Wesley holding up the ball for Trez, Jack and SJM to bomb on to, it's the only way I can see us getting goals we need!

Edited by zab6359

On 17/08/2019 at 20:09, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think it's safe to say it's not an overreaction stating Grealish was shit today. I think we played alright and showed character, but Grealish was by some distance the worst Villa player on the pitch. 

We praise him a lot when he performs, but it goes both ways 

That is the biggest load of absolute rubbish I have ever read.  Worst player on the pitch? An absolutely ludicrous over reaction. 

Watch the half hour highlights back, he was at the heart of everything we did well.

Â