Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager;s Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/19 at 22:59

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Better than Jota and Guilbert ?

We can't settle for "works well" when we have "works better" available.

That’s the thing isn’t it. Personally I think Trezeguet will be more effective then Jota will during the season. I liked Guilbert during pre season, but Elmo played well today . I really don’t think the defence is the issue at the moment, but in the same breath I’m not sure if we are playing our best team either . 

Mixed day today. Absolutely dreadful for the first 20 minutes, grew into the game upto half time and then it was all Villa for 45 minutes.

I was surprised he ditched Hourihane in favour of Luiz, I was worried without a pre-season and without speaking fluent English he may struggle being dropped in. First half exactly that happened, he looked lost in the midfield and it cost us for the second goal. Fairplay to him though, second half he grew into the game and showed what he is about, a fantastic finish for the goal.

Mings and Engels both showed their class again, Engels slightly shaky to start off. Taylor again showed there is a footballer in there somewhere.

In midfield McGinn dragged the team through at times with some darting runs. Trezeguet looked a handful on the wing, if he can improve we will have some player on our hands.

Grealish and El Ghazi were both poor. Grealish is just taking too much time on the ball, he's overthinking passes and losing possession in silly places; he barely lost the ball at all in the 10 game run at the end of last season. We really need him to start showing his quality and quickly. El Ghazi showed glimpses of promise early on but faded with the game.

Wesley was a handful up front, he needs to cut out the strops and find some goalscoring form. It will come for him.

Overall despite the defeat there were some flashes of the team we could become. If we can begin to integrate Targett and Guilbert (although Taylor currently deserves his spot), and put in a 90 minute performance similar to that of today's second half we will be alright. The worry is where the goals are going to come from.

2 poor errors, thought Luiz grew into the game, stand out performer for me today, Needed to take Taylor off at half time and bring on targett as Taylor going forward is a waste of time he’s crap at it

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Better than Jota and Guilbert ?

We can't settle for "works well" when we have "works better" available.

I said this on another thread but Jota hasn’t got the pace for a winger in this league. I’d put him in between Jack & Trez with Luiz & McGinn sat behind them. 

Having two DM’s allows fullbacks the cover to bomb on, & SJM can have licence to join attacks. 

AEG isn’t good enough, imo. If Nakamba can do the job he was signed for then McGinn can move up for Jota. 

As you say sentimentality at this level is absurd. We’re not using our best players to their strengths, if that means changing formation then Deano should be all over it. 

13 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

2 poor errors, thought Luiz grew into the game, stand out performer for me today, Needed to take Taylor off at half time and bring on targett as Taylor going forward is a waste of time he’s crap at it

Spot on.

My first match at Villa Park this season. 

Engels and Mings are superb. 

Heaton disappointed me. Amateur'esque penalty. 

Luiz has the potential. He will be a very good footballer. 

Our passing in our own zone is very naive at times. 

Bournemouth fans were shite. 

Absolutely insane the referees allow their timewasting and don't wish out yellow cards early. You go to 90 minutes of footy and feel you've watched 45 minutes. 

Referee was abysmal. Begs the question "what's the point of VAR?". 

Grealish was shit. Worst player on the pitch. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Progress for me. Were the better side for most of the game against an established Premier side.

Only immediate concern is I'm struggling to see where goals are going to come from as Wesley looks in reality like he looked on his highlights reel ..... very average, no obvious attributes to speak of, lightweight and Bambi on ice with the ball at his feet. Hope he learns fast - and he might do that - otherwise we have an Ian Ormondroyd on our hands here !!!

Gestede.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Spot on.

My first match at Villa Park this season. 

Engels and Mings are superb. 

Heaton disappointed me. Amateur'esque penalty. 

Luiz has the potential. He will be a very good footballer. 

Our passing in our own zone is very naive at times. 

Bournemouth fans were shite. 

Referee was abysmal. Begs the question "what's the point of VAR?". 

Grealish was shit. Worst player on the pitch. 

Sadly.

I love the lad, but there is no structure to his game on the evidence of the last 2 games......He can't be everywhere, but needs to be somewhere.

I thought he was poor today.

For me Jota was good when he came on, as effective as El Ghazi if not more, for me he starts next game.

I think we will see Jota and Targett start next game. Jack is not untouchable, and I can see Luiz or Hourihane playing in his position if Nakamba comes into contention.

We need some more forward options, but I thought Wesley was OK.

13 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Mixed day today. Absolutely dreadful for the first 20 minutes, grew into the game upto half time and then it was all Villa for 45 minutes.

I was surprised he ditched Hourihane in favour of Luiz, I was worried without a pre-season and without speaking fluent English he may struggle being dropped in. First half exactly that happened, he looked lost in the midfield and it cost us for the second goal. Fairplay to him though, second half he grew into the game and showed what he is about, a fantastic finish for the goal.

Mings and Engels both showed their class again, Engels slightly shaky to start off. Taylor again showed there is a footballer in there somewhere.

In midfield McGinn dragged the team through at times with some darting runs. Trezeguet looked a handful on the wing, if he can improve we will have some player on our hands.

Grealish and El Ghazi were both poor. Grealish is just taking too much time on the ball, he's overthinking passes and losing possession in silly places; he barely lost the ball at all in the 10 game run at the end of last season. We really need him to start showing his quality and quickly. El Ghazi showed glimpses of promise early on but faded with the game.

Wesley was a handful up front, he needs to cut out the strops and find some goalscoring form. It will come for him.

Overall despite the defeat there were some flashes of the team we could become. If we can begin to integrate Targett and Guilbert (although Taylor currently deserves his spot), and put in a 90 minute performance similar to that of today's second half we will be alright. The worry is where the goals are going to come from.

I feel at the moment in feeling our way in the tempo of this league 2 wingers is ambitious.....maybe later, but right now, we are left short in midfield.

I would play 1 only and introduce Hourihane or Nakamba in to the side.

Dougie Luiz made an error today but grew in to the game and showed he can stay on the ball and make passes.....but 2 wingers leaves the middle short, when we are not dominating it.

I thought El Ghazi was a passenger.

Just now, TRO said:

I feel at the moment in feeling our way in the tempo of this league 2 wingers is ambitious.....maybe later, but right now, we are left short in midfield.

I would play 1 only and introduce Hourihane or Nakamba in to the side.

Dougie Luiz made an error today but grew in to the game and showed he can stay on the ball and make passes.....but 2 wingers leaves the middle short, when we are not dominating it.

I thought El Ghazi was a passenger.

Yeh I agree, either that or bring Jota in as a winger but let him float inside to help out the midfield. You are right though El Ghazi was anonymous during the second half.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sadly.

I love the lad, but there is no structure to his game on the evidence of the last 2 games......He can't be everywhere, but needs to be somewhere.

I thought he was poor today.

I honestly don’t think this is true, he had the assist and was also close to scoring a blinder. He made some quite incisive passes and again didn’t go missing. I think he is not making the impact he did last season, yet, but he’s far from being poor? 

I think we all need to let everyone settle down, losing always amplifies judgement.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

For me Jota was good when he came on, as effective as El Ghazi if not more, for me he starts next game.

I think we will see Jota and Targett start next game. Jack is not untouchable, and I can see Luiz or Hourihane playing in his position if Nakamba comes into contention.

We need some more forward options, but I thought Wesley was OK.

I hope he is not.

I hope Dean has the conkers to deal with that like Pepe fetched Aguero off and told him in no uncertain terms.....not good enough.

Edited by TRO

Just now, thunderball said:

I honestly don’t think this is true, he had the assist and was also close to scoring a blinder. He made some quite incisive passes and again didn’t go missing. I think he is not making the impact he did last season, yet, but he’s far from being poor? 

I think we all need to let everyone settle down, losing always amplifies judgement.

just my opinion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

inevitably......but we need to move to allow the guy on the ball options.....we need to read the game better and be ready or even show out for the pass.

Many times today, I saw our players with the ball and no one moved for the pass .......they were out of position, not reading the situation, sufficiently......its like we are still not playing like a team, more individuals

I agree with your sentiment......but we don't want to be having this same conversation well in to the season.

There are things clearly not right.....In the early exchanges they were out muscling us, we have to be more aware and ready for this.

Edited by TRO

2 awful mistakes left us with a mountain to climb. but we almost did it. The 100% work ethic is there but sadly not enough threat up front. and when gazi limped off trez was the only dribbler left on the pitch and smith took him off! incredible! it was game over at that moment.

to have 2 strikers on the pitch and no wingers is a joke.

and Jota again did what I always used to see him do at blues. absolutle nada.

Bournmouth are a bunch of average players who are well drilled into playing a system. there was no outstanding player in a red shirt out there today. the two gifts were the difference.

So frustrating. Typical Villa we've shot ourselves in the foot again with that catastrophic opening 12 minutes. We completely dominated things after that, just annoying we couldn't quite get that second. Still, plenty of positives and we all know it will take this new team time to gel, Trezeguet, Wesley, Douglas Luiz and Engles have never played in English football before don't forget.

If we can try and cut the mistakes out I'm confident we'll start picking up points, any mistake we make is twice as likely to be punished in the PL.

Think it's safe to say it's not an overreaction stating Grealish was shit today. I think we played alright and showed character, but Grealish was by some distance the worst Villa player on the pitch. 

We praise him a lot when he performs, but it goes both ways 

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

That’s the thing isn’t it. Personally I think Trezeguet will be more effective then Jota will during the season. I liked Guilbert during pre season, but Elmo played well today . I really don’t think the defence is the issue at the moment, but in the same breath I’m not sure if we are playing our best team either . 

I can't tell you what the golden XI is either.

I just know what it isn't .😀

If you play with a lone target man striker then you have to have fullbacks who can create as well as defend. Even more so if 90% of your attacks usually end with a forward cutting inside from the channels. If you can't regularly get the opposition's back 4 facing towards their own goal then you will do nothing in this league.   Defenses are quicker and smarter in this league so every time we cut inside we allow them to face the ball and pick up Wes along with any supporting attackers. 

Trezeguet may be more talented than Jota and Elmo might be a little better defensively than Guilbert but the combo of Guilbert and Jota would benefit the team a lot more due to how they play together .   Jota knew he always had Guilbert on the overlap as an option and that in itself creates more uncertainty and less time for centre halves to react .    If they are watching the ball with their backs turned to Wes then he will find a bit more space in dangerous areas. Guilbert and Targett's delivery is also considerably better too.

If we play with conservative full backs , a lone target man and inside forwards who consistently allow the oppositions back four to play facing the field then we are going to struggle massively.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

My current mood (even though I know we played decent, it just smarts not to have any points)

h752B505F

Thoughts and prayers mate - get a mixed grill down ya, you'll be fine afterwards 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I can't tell you what the golden XI is either.

I just know what it isn't .😀

If you play with a lone target man striker then you have to have fullbacks who can create as well as defend. Even more so if 90% of your attacks usually end with a forward cutting inside from the channels. If you can't regularly get the opposition's back 4 facing towards their own goal then you will do nothing in this league.   Defenses are quicker and smarter in this league so every time we cut inside we allow them to face the ball and pick up Wes along with any supporting attackers. 

Trezeguet may be more talented than Jota and Elmo might be a little better defensively than Guilbert but the combo of Guilbert and Jota would benefit the team a lot more due to how they play together .   Jota knew he always had Guilbert on the overlap as an option and that in itself creates more uncertainty and less time for centre halves to react .    If they are watching the ball with their backs turned to Wes then he will find a bit more space in dangerous areas. Guilbert and Targett's delivery is also considerably better too.

If we play with conservative full backs , a lone target man and inside forwards who consistently allow the oppositions back four to play facing the field then we are going to struggle massively.

I’m not against what you are saying. Infact I was surprised Targett wasn’t playing today, or at least brought on. Maybe introduce it against Everton Friday?  I can see why Smith would be reluctant though. 

• Like 1

Â