Midweek Football 13/14 August

andykeenan

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sure Rodgers ran at the 1st opportunity to Leicester. Its a pretty weak squad. Tierney was the jewel and he left. Not much quality elsewhere and have a pretty woeful manager in Lennon

Is a chance they might not win the SPL

They've scored 12 goals in 2 games.  They'll cruise (another) SPL title.

8 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Depends on what you mean by that.  Their current teams would, but if they had access to the money on offer in English football I suspect that they'd be at the top end of the Premier League in next to no time.  Celtic would cash in on the plastic paddy thing and be a footballing powerhouse before you know it. 

Watched the villa game Saturday with a celtic fan who worked in marketing, global head of marketing for a big well known sports company... He was convinced within 5 years in the PL with the yanks and the TV money they would be one of the biggest teams, he's probably right

He also thought they'd finish top 6 season 1, he's wrong... They'd be around the same level as West ham, finish 11th and their season be over start of march

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He also thought they'd finish top 6 season 1, he's wrong... They'd be around the same level as West ham, finish 11th and their season be over start of march

If this squad came to PL they would go down. They would need to do a Fulham to their squad more than we did

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Depends on what you mean by that.  Their current teams would, but if they had access to the money on offer in English football I suspect that they'd be at the top end of the Premier League in next to no time.  Celtic would cash in on the plastic paddy thing and be a footballing powerhouse before you know it. 

Yeah this.

I think their current team is championship level. And I don't think they'd win the championship either.

But you're right that if they were allowed into the English leagues (which I don't for one second think they should), they'd become a huge club.

As it stands the scottish sides are absolute shit.

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

They've scored 12 goals in 2 games.  They'll cruise (another) SPL title.

Yep.

Rangers will get a bit closer again, but Celtic will win it comfortably.

People were saying the same thing this time last season. They might not win it.

They will.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

I imagine most clubs around the world would improve quite a lot if they were given £130m or so in TV-money and another huge chunk from the league every season.

Maybe so, but the the minimum for Celtic should be CL group stages. And if they did that on regular basis, they would still be among the best funded clubs in Europe. 

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Maybe so, but the the minimum for Celtic should be CL group stages. And if they did that on regular basis, they would still be among the best funded clubs in Europe. 

True.

But I don't think Celtic should expect to the in the CL every year, their league is so far behind and they are meh at best.

Clubs like Rosenborg and FCK were mainstays in the CL for many years and have still fallen behind. Rosenborg back this year thou.

The new CL allocations also doesn't help with the big leagues guaranteed even more spots.

Up here the pundits and media are in shock , yet again,, as to how one of the two biggest teams in the World (not)  can get knocked out by a Romanian? side. 😮 😀

Delusion up here happens every year and whilst most people ( fans of other clubs outside the uglies) who follow Scottish football are aware of the standard,  because two teams with money dominate, the media seem to think they are better than they actually are. Nearly all press and Scottish TV just talk about the uglies but when most weeks they play against free transfers, journeymen and youngsters they are bound to dominate the SPL. If any of those youngsters look any good they then try to buy them up........Smeltic not impressed when McGinn went to Villa......how could he possibly turn them down..😀

However the money Celtic get compared to the English Leagues is still paltry especially when you look at what the top Premier League sides get. Aberdeen ( third best payers in the SPL)) lost one of their top strikers at the end of last year to a non league English club as they could not match the wage offer from down South.

Smeltic fans also not happy with Lennons team from last night by playing one of their most powerful and fast midfielders at left back ( McGregor)? He started doing this in his last few months with us, never playing the same line up or structure in consecutive games with players often well out of position. I hope the increased stress, pressure and expectation does not spark any recurrence of his mental health problems......would not wish that on anyone.

As to the annual battle between the "big 2" I would be happier with sevco and the team Stevie G has put together at this moment in time. They will certainly push smeltic more this year and I think it will all depends on the results from the "old firm" games. I would not be at all surprised to see them stop Celtic this year.😮

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, turvontour said:

Oh, great. Didn't know the draw had been made. Dont remember us ever playing Crewe.

We've only played them 4 times ever.

Most recent was a 3-2 FA Cup win at Gresty Road in 1989

Just checked...Villa fielded 9 English and 2 Scottish players, with the 2 subs also English.

How times change.

Gage, McInally and Platt the scorers.

Edited by rjw63

Celtic's big problem is they're just a development club for signings now.

Not so long ago they could come and sign established premier league strikers like Chris Sutton and John Hartson. Also kept a class striker like Larsson for 5-6 seasons. No chance any of that could now happen with way modern game is.

If you look back 5-6 years ago they had Van Dijk as CB , Victor Wanyama as DM (both played in CL final) and Moussa Dembele who's now banging in the goals for Lyon. Add in likes of Tierney and that's the core of a competitive CL group stage team.

Instead they have to sell those players and then buy prospects from all part of europe and wait for 2 years for them to develop.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Celtic's big problem is they're just a development club for signings now.

Not so long ago they could come and sign established premier league strikers like Chris Sutton and John Hartson. Also kept a class striker like Larsson for 5-6 seasons. No chance any of that could now happen with way modern game is.

If you look back 5-6 years ago they had Van Dijk as CB , Victor Wanyama as DM (both played in CL final) and Moussa Dembele who's now banging in the goals for Lyon. Add in likes of Tierney and that's the core of a competitive CL group stage team.

Instead they have to sell those players and then buy prospects from all part of europe and wait for 2 years for them to develop.

Wanyama was linked with going back, not sure if he will now

I agree but would add that I don't think they're actually very good at it, partly because im not sure if they are failing to hoover up all the talent in Scotland or if there just isn't a whole lot of talent in Scotland (I think they hit Ireland pretty hard too) but Tierney is the only real Scottish talent they've developed in a long time (currently have 1 Scotland U21 player and 4 in the U19s) there was a really good piece around the last world cup on dynamo Zagreb and how much quality they had produced and how they scouted youth in Croatia, celtic cant touch them

then the scouting "smaller" leagues and taking a chance on youngsters, its one every year, next up might be ajer or Edouard, they aren't getting enough in, im not sure if the way transfers have gone and the idea of flipping players for profit quickly means there are no bargains in Europe anymore 

being a conveyor belt / stepping stone for young talent wanting to move south is the best chance they've got of doing anything but I don't think they 1) accept it or 2) are as good at it as they need to be

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wanyama was linked with going back, not sure if he will now

I agree but would add that I don't think they're actually very good at it, partly because im not sure if they are failing to hoover up all the talent in Scotland or if there just isn't a whole lot of talent in Scotland (I think they hit Ireland pretty hard too) but Tierney is the only real Scottish talent they've developed in a long time (currently have 1 Scotland U21 player and 4 in the U19s) there was a really good piece around the last world cup on dynamo Zagreb and how much quality they had produced and how they scouted youth in Croatia, celtic cant touch them

then the scouting "smaller" leagues and taking a chance on youngsters, its one every year, next up might be ajer or Edouard, they aren't getting enough in, im not sure if the way transfers have gone and the idea of flipping players for profit quickly means there are no bargains in Europe anymore 

being a conveyor belt / stepping stone for young talent wanting to move south is the best chance they've got of doing anything but I don't think they 1) accept it or 2) are as good at it as they need to be

Dynamo Zagreb though are ran like the mafia, they have so much power that players are threatened with ending their careers as teens if dont sign for the club. 

Coaching in Croatia is just a better standard 

Â