Pre match thread

roonst83

1 hour ago, BOF said:

"Knicker wetting" going into the Bournemouth fixture is perfectly understandable.  It's our first winnable Premier League fixture in nearly 40 months.  Hopefully this match will allay our fears somewhat, and the Premier League will lose its fear going into the Everton fixture and beyond.  In fact it would be madness not to be a little apprehensive going into this game because it would bang of arrogance.

It's about perspective for me rather than 'arrogance.'

I would imagine that prior to the start of the season, the team and manager would have looked at the fixtures and given some sort of indication as to where points are more likely to be picked up. Pretty sure I heard Brian Little discussing this during his tenure of management - I think he even specifically mentioned Dave Bassett, the then manager of Sheffield United. I would expect that the Club are targeting this fixture to return a positive result and have some confidence going into it.

If we are 'knicker wetting' over it, what would we be doing when Manchester City and Liverpool come to town. I agree, it's wrong to dismiss Bournemouth and the other teams we will be scrapping against. I'm not suggesting walking onto the pitch before kick off dressed like 'The Mask' and singing 'Cuban Pete...' At some point, we have to be brave and let a team worry about us instead. I think our first chance is against Bournemouth... at Villa Park... riding a current wave of some positivity.

If the wheels come off, so be it. It will be disappointing and the team goes back to the training ground and considers something different for Everton. Whether we like it or not, there are games where we have to believe that we stand a better chance of getting something than others. There will be disappointments, things that don't go to plan, and sometimes, things that result in an unexpected bonus (Old Trafford in December 2009 for example).

If you thought I was being arrogant, it's lost in textspeak. I'm just more hopeful here rather than fearful. There are plenty more times this season to be fearful. As I've said before in this very thread, in Dean I trust, come what may, short of an 89-0 reversal. 👍😉

For what it's worth, one of the clubs I was hoping to finish above was Brighton... and look what they did to Watford last weekend in the Hornets nest!!

• Like 2

Performance is all that matters for me at this stage.

If we perform poorly and scrape a Win, ill welcome 3 points but be a little disappointed.

If we perform really well and lose unluckily, ill be fine.

Of course, what we all want is both, and I think we have a reasonable chance of both.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If we perform poorly and scrape a Win, ill welcome 3 points but be a little disappointed.

Of course, what we all want is both, and I think we have a reasonable chance of both.

I understand your point, but it really is all about winning....at the end of the day, I would take winning over anything else

I think its easier to be winning and improve your performance than having good performances and improve results.....its a matter of opinion of course.

Its like betting on red when black keeps coming up and the premise that red is bound to come next.

But you are right, we need both.

Ps If we had of beaten Spurs 0-1 I'll bet you all the money in china, that some of the negative remarks on our performance, would not have been made......Its amazing how a win can change the view on performance by a spectator.

PPS I believe we should approach this game like its the last game of the season and we need a win to stay up.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, terrytini said:

First season back in the prem the only thing that matters is winning. Whether ugly or pretty it doesn't matter. Forty points is the only thing that matters. 

• Like 2

We need confidence and big balls from all early on. Get on the ball, get playing, get the crowd going even more, Jack and John will lead this well I think.

Won't take much tomorrow for confidence to spread or diminish, got a big game feel I think. Three years out and we're back.

Trezeguet to bag a brace, Hourihane off the bench with the third.

A win in the first of our 39 cup finals this season. Has anyone yet suggested we see our games like that?

We should view the home games as Cup Finals and away games as the away leg of a two-leg semi final. Look to always secure a draw at a minimum and not concede but always try to sneak a win to take the away goals back to our place.

:trollface:

Too early in the season to be talking about this as a needed 3 points; For all anyone knows they could be the surprise of the season.

Just hope we give a good showing, hopefully the result will come with that!

• Like 1

Surprisingly most of the pundits have a Villa win, nice to see in our 2nd game back in the prem. I am also going for a win but I don't see it being a stroll in the park by any means, 2 1 Villa with big Wes getting off the mark. 

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Bournemouth are dodgy at the back but Wesley needs to toughen up a bit this weekend and less complaining .

I think Mepham and Ake is a very strong pairing at centre back for them, they’ve spent a lot of money on those two alone, do you not agree?