Pre match thread

roonst83

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Would you accept left foot, right foot, erect penis? Is that still a perfect hatrick?

If you timed it right then I'm pretty sure it would be possible to do the Panenka with an erect penis. 

• Haha 2

This is the litmus test isn’t it, anyone can lose 3-1 to spurs away - we didn’t lose that game because we’re a promoted side, we lost because they’re one of the top 3-4 sides in the country. 

Beating Bournemouth at home is something of a prerequisite for anyone looking to stay up or do well.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 09:05, wilko154 said:

That is probably the most nonsense I have read on VT this week.

We didn't play 'park the bus, cop out' football at all on Saturday. First half we gave as good as we got, went at Spurs on the front foot whenever possible and lead the game at half time.

Second half we sat back due to the pressure Spurs put on us, that's what a Champions League Finalist can do to a team like us. We didn't 'park the bus' tactically, we sat back due to the strength of the team we were playing.

Of all recent Villa managers Smith has the most defined plan on how we will play all games, we will play the same way week in week out and try to win games. How we adapt to the opposition during games in the early stages of the season is something we will have to learn from and improve.

What a refreshingly accurate appraisal.

Dean Smith has no intention of parking the bus, he even said so in his after match interview, he said they didn't follow fully my instructions.

In the second half the better team showed why they are.

When a team is losing too many battles on the park the natural tendency is to retreat...which is exactly what you are saying.....bravo.

I think like some it will take us some time to acclimatise to this division.

What I will be looking for is a willingness to compete for points, in the meantime, while we find our feet.....we cannot and must not lie down and die.

it will take time time to click, but we must fight and scrap and not give points up easily.

If we feel sorry for ourselves the crowd will go quiet......If we fight for every ball, the crowd will be on the pitch, not literally, spiritually.

We have to scrap for points.....not at the end of the season.....NOW.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we draw or lose this.

Said elsewhere I think it may well take us a while to "click"

I'm totally optimistic for this season, I think we'll stay up and I think we'll play bloody well while we do it. But I think it's inevitable that it will take us a few weeks to make the step up and bed in lots of players so I'm not too confident about tomorrow.

I just hope VT doesn't go into meltdown if we do lose.

Obviously I'll be over the moon if everything I said above is totally wrong and we beat them :) 

That bit in bold is key...

I'll be disappointed if we don't win... of course I will. But a long, long way from pitchfork territory if we lose, especially if we've put up some sort of fight. I wouldn't expect us to just roll over to defeat, that's not the Club narrative for well over 12 months now, so I'm sure we will give a good account of ourselves.

On 15/08/2019 at 12:46, delboy54 said:

Remember seeing that on MOTD....I was 14.

Look at the state of the pitch in those days!, I have forgotten how bad the playing surface used to be, look at the shortness of the shorts!! and.....48 000 for a 3rd division game!

Thats why the ball was always in the air in those days.....the pitches were crap.

15 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

That bit in bold is key...

I'll be disappointed if we don't win... of course I will. But a long, long way from pitchfork territory if we lose, especially if we've put up some sort of fight. I wouldn't expect us to just roll over to defeat, that's not the Club narrative for well over 12 months now, so I'm sure we will give a good account of ourselves.

Fight is key, for me.

I will accept the result, but not an absence of fight.

Sheff Utd showed a fighting spirit last week and secured a draw.

At a buzzing Villa park, surely we can make an account of ourselves and impose our will on them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

I have to hope that we win this match. If we are knicker wetting over this fixture going into it, the list of possible teams (and we need three of them) that we need to better in order to survive becomes more clouded and difficult.

"Knicker wetting" going into the Bournemouth fixture is perfectly understandable.  It's our first winnable Premier League fixture in nearly 40 months.  Hopefully this match will allay our fears somewhat, and the Premier League will lose its fear going into the Everton fixture and beyond.  In fact it would be madness not to be a little apprehensive going into this game because it would bang of arrogance.

• Like 1