Change

Xann

Posted elsewhere but this is an important concept to wrap your head around.

Unless of course you have something to gain from addicts becoming destitute and deemed criminal, or the turmoil that ensues.

I guess it's easy to talk about what other people should be doing (like Trump) or what they are doing (Kardashian's) but I try to ask myself what am I about too..

On a personal level I volunteer with the homeless once a fortnight from 11pm-7am.

Another volunteer role that I have is running basketball programs for at risk youth at a high-rise commission housing district (like the projects).

The kids we work with often come from families that can't make ends meet at best, or have serious drug dependencies, or are incarcerated at worst.

That is also once a fortnight but only for a 3 hour session.

I also sit on a mental health advisory board and advocate for consumers and make sure they are involved and represented, by all means.

This may mean incorporating consumer preferences into well-being plans, to offering them training for a variety of skills and roles..

I mean we have consumers sit on the interview panel for when prospective psychiatrists and psychologists are in the final stage of application.

It may not be the same pay package as the shrinks, but consumers are remunerated for their involvement in improving clinical settings.

I would like to think there is an equity between the board, management, the clinicians and the consumers that is developing when it comes to authority on mental health.

Adopting a strength-based approach and allowing dignity of risk really allows people to build confidence and just as importantly to LEARN from making mistakes.

I have met some truly amazing souls with a wonderful understanding of the human spirit and the relationship we share to one another.

It's an incredible privilege to be in the position to work with people who have a lot of hard earned wisdom and unique experience that is at the same time relatable.

• Like 1

This thread 😍

I made a lot of changes a few years ago, and those changes are continuing.

I'm positive, whereas I used to be a bit of an arsehole. (A few on here can confirm!)

I'm eating no meat or dairy products. 

Plus I'm refusing to use plastic bottles, I've sustainable bags and drinks containers which I use to carry water/food in. 

Weirdly, I used to get angry and fed up, but now I don't. The changes have influenced my mind and heart.

I can still be a clearing in the woods sometimes, but I'm human, eh? 😁

• Like 2

Was the Automotive Era a Terrible Mistake?

For a century, we’ve loved our cars. They haven’t loved us back...

... In America today, there are more cars than drivers. Yet our investment in these vehicles has yielded dubious returns. Since 1899, more than 3.6 million people have died in traffic accidents in the United States, and more than eighty million have been injured; pedestrian fatalities have risen in the past few years. The road has emerged as the setting for our most violent illustrations of systemic racism, combustion engines have helped create a climate crisis, and the quest for oil has led our soldiers into war.

New Yorker

The alternative to the car was either sticking with the horse, and the multi storey piles of shit they were producing, or restrict the movement of the individual.

The choice of fuel and then our pre occupation with speed and muscle were terrible decisions. We’ve had the technology for a very long time to ditch petrol and diesel, but it hasn’t suited the suits.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

stopped buying vinyl records, very bad for the environment. Edit: I haven't actually got anything to back this up, and I stopped for other reasons, but something interesting to think about. Seems every way to listen to music is bad for the environment in one or another, have to go back to the days where you'd buy the sheet music and play it yourself on the piano.

Edited by useless

Â