Jump to content
limpid

Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

Matcj Polls  

282 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

    • Heaton
    • Elmohamady
      0
    • Engels
    • Mings
    • Taylor
    • Hourihane
    • McGinn
    • Grealish
      0
    • Trezeguet
    • El Ghazi
    • Wesley
      0
    • Jota (Trezeguet 59)
      0
    • Kodjia (Wesley 74)
      0
    • Luiz (Hourihane 81)
      0
  2. 2. Manager's Perfomrance

  3. 3. Refereeing Performance


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/19 at 22:59

Recommended Posts

I think some are overplaying how good Spurs are, but even so they're way ahead of us and today shouldn't haven been a reality check for anyone today's score was always a possibility, they constantly finish in the top four of the Premier league, whilst we have struggled to get promoted from the Championship and even when we did manage it we spent most of that season as a midtable team, until putting together a run of form at the end of the season. On the other hand it's hard not to be disappointed with a Villa defeat, whoever the opposition might be, just have to hope we can put it right in the coming fixtures, one of the good things about being in the championship was if you did lose a game there usually another one in a few days time to get it out of your system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We did well to keep our shape and keep them away from our goal for large periods, especially in the first half. But even in the first half...Remember Kane's one on one, and his missed header? Once he's in the swing of things, that's two goals right there, he'll have been very disappointed to only score 2 with the chances he got.

And before people start, I'm not getting hysterical, I think we'll be fine this season, and this game was never going to be an indicator of how we're going as a team. I just think 3-1 makes it seem a much closer game than I thought it was.

I didn't think you were being hysterical, but in balance, I don't think 3-1 flattered us. Before Erikson changed the game and the second goal, totally knocked the stuffing out of us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, useless said:

I think some are overplaying how good Spurs are, but even so they're way ahead of us and today shouldn't haven been a reality check for anyone today's score was always a possibility, they constantly finish in the top four of the Premier league, whilst we have struggled to get promoted from the Championship and even when we did manage it we spent most of that season as a midtable team, until putting together a run of form at the end of the season. On the other hand it's hard not to be disappointed with a Villa defeat, whoever the opposition might be, just have to hope we can put it right in the coming fixtures, one of the good things about being in the championship was if you did lose a game there usually another one in a few days time to get it out of your system.

Fair enough, good post. You are much more level-headed than I am 😅

It was certainly a reality check for me. In my head I knew this final score was a possibility, and even a probability. But my emotions get the best of me, and I thought we would hang around better than we actually did in the 2nd half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First half we were good, not great but steady, sure they had the better of the ball but when we did get it we looked dangerous.

Second half we were crap, resolute for a lot of it but awful when we did have rare opportunities to play, in fact their goals came from us being tired/slack in possession.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

- we played a very good team

- we scored

- they beat us because they were better

- we don’t play a top four side every week

+++

- several key players not up to speed yet

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive opportunity missed Never had there been a better time to go to spurs and get a result with all their players missing and their summer of discontent.

Apart from elmo dropping his guts in the 1st min First half we were fabulous. Dug in and played some decent football on the break. Trezeguet looked a constant threat. I agree with the guy above me who said that was a turning point when jota come on.

2nd half we were pinned back straight away we needed to bring on luiz for houihane about 65mins when we started to get fatigued.

we retreated to the 18 yard line and couldn't get out, spurs kept turning the screw till they got the goal. the grealish got his pocket picked on the edge of the D. and it was game over.

Engels looked decent, Mings and heaton done a job. Mcginn had fantastic momemnts El gazi dissappeared 2nd half.

Wesley struggled couldn't win the ball or keep the ball with his back to goal. very poor display from him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually thought that Wesley was decent today considering the circumstances. He hadn't much to work with in fairness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m glad at least one poster thinks it’s hilarious we lost today. 

Let’s hope they find less to amuse them for the rest of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of realism is needed here. Don't wanna come on here every week reading comments from people who think we're title contenders.

We played one of the best sides in the league away. We are a newly promoted team with new signings who need time to acclimatise. Games against spurs, city, plop etc are simply bonus games. The gulf in class between them and next weeks opposition are enormous. 

Many criticising wesley and super jack. Poorer games by their standards granted but wesley was 2 or 3 against one at most times with no support. If he plays like that against brighton, bournemouth et al then granted but give the lad a chance - he's played one game!

Jack was effectuvely playing as a DM today. Not his game and did his best. He is an intelligent player and will learn a lot from today. He will run the show against our 'rivals'.

I absolutely trust Smith and ROK and have seen some huge positives. Heaton  engels, mings, trez, mcginn etc. The season starts next weekend for me and it is then we will start to see what we're mafe of. UTFV

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

A bit of realism is needed here. Don't wanna come on here every week reading comments from people who think we're title contenders.

We played one of the best sides in the league away. We are a newly promoted team with new signings who need time to acclimatise. Games against spurs, city, plop etc are simply bonus games. The gulf in class between them and next weeks opposition are enormous. 

Many criticising wesley and super jack. Poorer games by their standards granted but wesley was 2 or 3 against one at most times with no support. If he plays like that against brighton, bournemouth et al then granted but give the lad a chance - he's played one game!

Jack was effectuvely playing as a DM today. Not his game and did his best. He is an intelligent player and will learn a lot from today. He will run the show against our 'rivals'.

I absolutely trust Smith and ROK and have seen some huge positives. Heaton  engels, mings, trez, mcginn etc. The season starts next weekend for me and it is then we will start to see what we're mafe of. UTFV

Spot on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For balance...

How the f*** have we lost that?? Smith has wasted all our money on rubbish. If we cant beat f*****g spuds away how are we supposed to finish in the top 4??? May as well accept we are going down. Smith out

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did well first half but we were poor in the second. Just conceded too much ground. Subs were poor. Reality check I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

For balance...

How the f*** have we lost that?? Smith has wasted all our money on rubbish. If we cant beat f*****g spuds away how are we supposed to finish in the top 4??? May as well accept we are going down. Smith out

Spot on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching Norwich last night I was afraid. However, after that 90 minutes where I was for 70 mins dreaming of taking 3 points, i’m very much looking forward to this season. I don’t think we’ll finish top half but we won’t be far away. Then time to push on. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think our defense looked quite good. Don't think we will have to worry much about them (and we still have a couple other options at the back. Hopefully Guilbert can slide in nicely at the RB slot and Targett at LB.

Might have a few problems up front tho (still thought we should've brought in another striker + winger)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â