• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Jota (Trezeguet 59)
    • Kodjia (Wesley 74)
    • Luiz (Hourihane 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Perfomrance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/19 at 22:59

22 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Contrary to many, I thought Wesley did ok and improved as he went on - I’m sure the pace of the game and the strength and speed of PL defenders came as a shock to him but he had little support and was fighting for many 50/50 balls. Very early to judge him yet 

This might be a wild opinion but in those kinds of games Davis’ hold up play would be invaluable. I think there’s an argument for him to be given opportunities in games where we need that kind of outlet. The lad lacks in some areas but if you need someone that the ball just sticks to up there he is ideal

19 minutes ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

This might be a wild opinion but in those kinds of games Davis’ hold up play would be invaluable. I think there’s an argument for him to be given opportunities in games where we need that kind of outlet. The lad lacks in some areas but if you need someone that the ball just sticks to up there he is ideal

It would be interesting to see - hard to know if he would transfer his robust game to the PL or be wildly out of his depth. My personal opinion is that he would struggle but who knows

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Oh wow, just been reading this thread from the start. Some of you need to give your head a wobble. 

West Ham lost 5-0 to Citeh. Norwich lost 4-1 to Liverpool.

It's just how this league is. Those 3 top teams are just levels ahead of everyone else.

We were 20 min away from a win here. Were some wrong subs but gameplan was correct. Just move on, things to build on from here,

• Like 3

This Spurs side has been assembled gradually over the ten years of our decline.

They are a product of good transfer deals and excellent managerial choices.

Hopefully we are now on the start of a journey that can allow us to compete on a level playing field with them again.

As for yesterday then we didn’t get embarrassed and for that we can be grateful.

UTV

• Like 2

Got back late so didn't get a chance to get on here.

Thought we were really good first half, it was always going to be a game that we wouldn't see a lot of possession but we defended bravely and created openings. Second half was a different story and Tottenhams endless possession seemed to tire us out, we couldn't rest on the ball and we inevitably broke down.

Mings, Engels and Heaton were all superb. Mings did what he did all of last season, we don't need to worry about the step up with him. Engels looks like a rolls royce defender, classy on the ball and will improve with game time. Heaton will win us points on his own this season, some of the saves reminded me of Bozzie.

Hourihane and Taylor deserve some credit. Hourihane worked hard all game, he noticeably chased and harassed the midfielders, unfortunately he tired and we missed his energy second half. Taylor carried his form on from last season, I like the fact he hasn't been bombed straight out.

Grealish needs to learn from his mistake, I understand what he was trying to do in holding the ball, slowing the game down and trying to get a foothold in the game. Unfortunately we didn't adapt well enough second half and the long ball football we don't often play didn't work.

Wesley had a tough afternoon, he will improve though. Effectively got chucked in at the deep end and was expected to hold the ball up for 90 minutes.

Not worried at all, away against any of the top 6 is likely to end in defeat. These aren't the games that will define our season which starts next week at Bournemouth.

Keep the Faith!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Were some wrong subs but gameplan was correct.

Wesley and Trez were completely done and had to be replaced. We had to bring another CF on and Jota had done enough in pre-season to justify the call. Luiz for Hourihane made sense. The only other option would have been to bring Targett or Konsa on for Trez but that would have invited more pressure. 

Very odd comment - curious what would you have done?

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Luiz for Hourihane around the 60 mark and Kodjia on for El Ghazi which i thought had a bad game.

Wesley did not have a bad game and did not look tired. No reason to sub him off.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Luiz for Hourihane around the 60 mark and Kodjia on for El Ghazi which i thought had a bad game.

Wesley did not have a bad game and did not look tired. No reason to sub him off.

Wesley and Trez were completely completely blown - of course they were, first game in English football against CL finalists. 

Amazes me that you think you know better than the coaches who are looking at live performance tracking data

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Wesley and Trez were completely done and had to be replaced. We had to bring another CF on and Jota had done enough in pre-season to justify the call. Luiz for Hourihane made sense. The only other option would have been to bring Targett or Konsa on for Trez but that would have invited more pressure. 

If you read through the thread, most think subbing Trez for Jota was a mistake, in hindside of course. Jota was just completely out of his depth. Same for Kodjia.

I don't agree that Wes and Trez were necessarily a must to take off, but who knows.

Edited by AVTuco

6 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Wesley and Trez were completely completely blown - of course they were, first game in English football against CL finalists. 

Amazes me that you think you know better than the coaches who are looking at live performance tracking data

So you're saying they're above criticism. I'm sure you're not saying that, but your comment suggests so.

Spurs are a class above us and the better side won the game but still a huge amount of positives the biggest being the performance of our back 4 and keeper we need a solid base to build from and we looked to have that yesterday and we wont be playing spurs away every week I think we will be fine this year and look being honest staying up is the priority everything else is a bonus for what it's worth I think we will finish mid table which would be unthinkable where we were 4 years ago we are heading in right direction.

A few thoughts from the limited time I watched the game/highlights;

1st half I think spurs were in 3rd gear.  We woke them up with the goal, but it was always going to be the game that was played after half time (with us holding on, rather than playing well).

Jack shouldn't have got caught, I hope someone said "man on", but that's the kind of thing that we can iron out quickly.  Not concerned about that happening too often.

Trez looked good, but his shots lacked a bit of composure and power.  Another day and one of them goes in.  He looked bright in his first appearance against a good team.

Mings/Engles/Heaton looked like they'd played together for years.

Their goals;

1. Defending so deep, it was always a risk the ball drops nicely for one of their players at 20 yards to smack in.  Step out a bit faster (that said, we were chucking bodies at the ball) and that problem goes away.

2. Jack gets caught and then it bounces off 2 of our players, straight to the best finisher in the league.  Chances are it won't happen again.

3. The most disappointing of the lot for me.  I think Luiz barely tries to get across and just dangles his foot in, that opportunity should have been nullified with Luiz.  

Overall, I thought we'd lose 4-1, so not terribly disappointed.  I think 2-1 would have been a more fair reflection of the game.  Spurs are good and they will punish your mistakes, like most teams in the prem will.

Let's not forget, this is a new team, there will be moments where it appears disconnected and individual mistakes will happen.  Our midfield need to learn that you have to be a second faster in thinking and doing in this league, or you will get caught out.  The decision making and quickness of thought is what separates championship football to prem football.

We won't be playing teams of spurs quality every week, but every team have good players.  We need to learn from our mistakes, quickly.

Onto the next one!

any of the back 5 could have gotten MOTM but gave it to taylor because after all the stick he's (rightly) taken he had by far his best game in a villa shirt. defend like that not many teams will break us down. need to retain the ball better, and wesley needs to toughen up

2 hours ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

walking to the station after the game i said that davis actually would have had a better game than wesley

I forgot what it was like to lose. 

I also forgot how irritating VT can be when we lose. 

I saw enough to be encouraged today. People expecting a lot in a game away against Spurs are ambitious to say the least. 

• Like 4

Â