A'Villan

Patagonia

perito-moreno-glacier-patagonia-ALJHPATA

Anyone ever been? What was your experience like? Please share.

Ever since I saw the snowboarding film The Art of Flight, I have always dreamed of going there.

I hear that the Argentine part is more of the tourist destination, and that it's the Chilean side that's where it's at.

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I haven’t but it’s on my list. Looks so beautiful . Wouldn’t be surprised if @tonyh has been

Alas , not got there yet ... I put a trip together for that area and Chile etc as well but just haven’t put it into action 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Alas , not got there yet 

eat my god GIF

• Haha 2

Was there for 2.5/3 weeks this year, late April to June.

Stayed in the Argentinian side, started in El Calafate and went up to Bariloche in stages.  Would have liked to to see the Chilean side but was on somewhat of a clock and the border crossing was a bit of a hassle, maybe another time. We were just out of tourist season so was nice and quiet but still able to get around and not unbearably cold.

I'm not a very out-doorsy person but was out hiking almost every day and loved it, most beautiful place I've ever been by a distance. Perito Moreno glacier pictured was an absolutely incredible experience, was even lucky enough to witness a huge chunk off ice fall off it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went in March 2016 - Stayed in El Calafate and like Penguin went up to Bariloche.

From El Calafate we hiked across the glacier with this company.

The Glacier hike was unbelievable. The isolation there is special - we also did some horse riding across endless plains.

San Bariloche is sort of a time warp - a little like an Italian ski village from the 80's....It's Little odd - they also seem quite proud of the rumors of Hitler and the Nazi's escaping to the area.

If you ever wanted to leave your whole life and go somewhere where no-one would ever find you then this part of Argentina would be perfect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

@TheAuthority Great read, thanks for sharing that!

Also forgot that the meat down there was mind-blowing (pre vegan days!)

They cook the whole animal carcass by starting a fire on the ground then they literally crucify the animal  in front of the flames. Traditionally "Patagonian Lamb" is cooked outside but restaurants also do it as in the pic below.

11667491_948509655216063_305095050119624

• Like 1

Â