Montevideo, Uruguay

Villaphan04

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I thought about it before but that was part of a ferry trip from BA which is about 2 hours away 

If you are there for a week maybe think about doing it the other way, BA day trip

yeah I was thinking about splitting it half in Montevideo and half in BA. 

On 05/08/2019 at 10:23, Villaphan04 said:

Thinking of going for a week here.

Has anyone been? I've heard pretty good things about it and wanted to check it out.

Two kids i coached are from Villa Espanol which is just outside city center, if you have any specific questions let me know and ill pass them on to them.

• 1 month later...

Was there in April. I really liked it there one of my favourite cities in South America. Almost everything in walking distance, beautiful blend of architecture in the main city and old town and nice tranquil atmosphere so very comfortable just walking around.

Only needs few days there though imo, not too much to do. Unless you want to do some trips or a stay in Buenos Aires, Colonia De Sacramento and Punta Del Este.

• Like 1

Kind of small city, really not much to do here I didn't think, but having said that it was pretty cool. Has a huge beach promenade stretching all the way from the airport to the city.  There's a market area that is lively at the weekends and great for your meat grills.

Flew in and got the ferry to BA from Colonia De Sacramento after 2 nights. I would suggest this is long enough. The ferry crossing from Colonia is shorter, so the bus journey & ferry is more or less equal to the ferry between MV and BA. You can make a triangular journey this way, spending half a day in Colonia, which is a nice town / unesco site.

Much more to do in BA, spend 4 or 5 nights there out of a week would be my suggestion! I absolutely loved BA and wish I'd had longer than my 4 nights there. I could make some food and beer recommendations if you decide to go there.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I had two nights only in Montevideo, wish it had been more but I was on one of those shoestring budgets. :s I felt happy there, it seemed to me like a chilled out capital city. I remember buses with turnstiles, getting stuck in one because of my big ruck sack (a bit of an embarrassing moment), locals drinking mate from their mate pots, including on the buses, and a few carts going through the city centre pulled by donkeys!? And a weird but brilliant skyscraper in the centre. And some beaches very near the centre. Also, it's near a lovely resort town called Piriapolis, which has great sandy beaches, I highly recommend it. 

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

Â