Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

Nakamba is certainly good enough in his current role, and without a doubt premier league quality. He'll most likely improve next year too.

Luiz, Hourihane, Drinkwater, and Lansbury are all terrible though. The wings (apart from Grealish) being inconsistent at best, really makes our entire midfield abysmal.

If he was good enough, we wouldn't be such a defensive mess. He doesn't do his job good enough. He can tackle but there's so much more required at this level. 

I'd bet a large amount of money luiz ends up playing at a higher level or better club than nakamba. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If he was good enough, we wouldn't be such a defensive mess. He doesn't do his job good enough. He can tackle but there's so much more required at this level. 

I'd bet a large amount of money luiz ends up playing at a higher level or better club than nakamba. 

We are defensive mess mostly because we don't function defensively as a team. Nakamba's certainly had his off games too, but he's mostly done a good job. 

Luiz has been far more inconsistent, and it's best not to even mention the other CMs. Luiz might well develop into a real class player given time, but for me he isn't a regular starter yet.

Edited by vreitti

8 minutes ago, vreitti said:

We are defensive mess mostly because we don't function defensively as a team. Nakamba's certainly had his off games too, but he's mostly done a good job. 

Luiz has been far more inconsistent, and it's best not to even mention the other CMs. Luiz might well develop into a real class player given time, but for me he isn't a regular starter yet.

This highlights the problem with our summer recruitment. I completely understand why we went with the strategy we did, but we were relying on too many players settling quickly and living up to their potential. If we had been able to sprinkle in a couple of solid Premier League performers as well to lead the team and take the pressure off the younger players I think we'd be much further up the table. For me Nakamba and Luiz are both guilty of this, there's been times when they've needed a helping hand, or to be taken out of the firing line for a couple of games, but unfortunately, they have to play through bad form due to the lack of alternatives. I think both will go on to be solid Premier League players, I just hope it's for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

This highlights the problem with our summer recruitment. I completely understand why we went with the strategy we did, but we were relying on too many players settling quickly and living up to their potential. If we had been able to sprinkle in a couple of solid Premier League performers as well to lead the team and take the pressure off the younger players I think we'd be much further up the table. For me Nakamba and Luiz are both guilty of this, there's been times when they've needed a helping hand, or to be taken out of the firing line for a couple of games, but unfortunately, they have to play through bad form due to the lack of alternatives. I think both will go on to be solid Premier League players, I just hope it's for us.

Funny isnt it?

I could have sworn this has happened before... but cant for the life of me remember what happened...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Not dirty, but definitely cynical. 

You have to be cynical at this level, it’s what we’ve mostly lacked. And you have to be cynical in the right areas, the opposition half. Two incidents in the last few days; (1) Rodri blatantly takes down a Villa player when he sees the break is on from Villa’s own half. He happily takes the yellow card and the danger of a breakaway goal is gone quickly. (2) Milner last night against Chelsea, does exactly same as Rodri, arguably more blatantly. But takes the yellow card and stops any hint of a breakaway goal. Personally I’d like to see a rule change where any player blatantly taking another player out in circumstances as above is red carded. For me it’s a professional foul. But until the time of a rule change comes Villa have to become like Milner & Rodri. Nice guys don’t finish first.

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

You have to be cynical at this level, it’s what we’ve mostly lacked. And you have to be cynical in the right areas, the opposition half. Two incidents in the last few days; (1) Rodri blatantly takes down a Villa player when he sees the break is on from Villa’s own half. He happily takes the yellow card and the danger of a breakaway goal is gone quickly. (2) Milner last night against Chelsea, does exactly same as Rodri, arguably more blatantly. But takes the yellow card and stops any hint of a breakaway goal. Personally I’d like to see a rule change where any player blatantly taking another player out in circumstances as above is red carded. For me it’s a professional foul. But until the time of a rule change comes Villa have to become like Milner & Rodri. Nice guys don’t finish first.

I agree with the red card scenario, it really frustrates me when I see a player use some sublime skill to beat a player only to be pulled down or tugged back by his shirt, and though I understand these underhand tactics it really needs to be stamped out. 

43 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree with the red card scenario, it really frustrates me when I see a player use some sublime skill to beat a player only to be pulled down or tugged back by his shirt, and though I understand these underhand tactics it really needs to be stamped out. 

I'd rather see (and some people may see this me an extreme suggestion) a penalty given. Regardless of where it happens on the pitch. Players will still be willing to take a red card if there are 5 minutes left to play and the opposing team are through on goal. 

Denying a clear goalscoring opportunity results in the award of a clear goalscoring opportunity. Punishment fits the crime.

For a defensive midfielder the ease with which he is outmuscled is alarming. And this is one of my gripes with our recruitment over the past 3 years - we keep buying skinny, short midfielders who lose nearly every 50/50 challanges.

I want my cdm to be a powerhouse who puts himself about, wins headers, pushes players off. Is it too much to ask? 

• Like 1

Let’s hope he goes on strike if like he did to force his move to us, if we do go down so he moves on, what did they see in him I’ll never know 

Edited by rbcuk

He was the pick of the midfield tonight but that doesn't say much.

We desperately needed to sign Kalvin Phillips though whatever the cost, we'd probably be safe in my view. A guy that can put a crunching tackle in. We lack so much fight its untrue.

I can't fully make my mind up about him.....I see him in no mans land too often, instead of breaking up play or even going touch tight.

I see him breaking up play, but not often enough for me....I am not sure his reading on the game is good enough to help him or his tracking his man.....Luiz, doesn't help either.

However, playing in this team, its hard to give fair evaluation of any one of them.

blimey.....its even got to Jack now.

On 02/03/2020 at 15:08, DJ_Villain said:

Funny isnt it?

I could have sworn this has happened before... but cant for the life of me remember what happened...

things will get better.....its called lip service.

On 02/03/2020 at 15:08, DJ_Villain said:

Funny isnt it?

and another 11 to arrive next season.lol😀

Edited by TRO

Â